The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Young Stars Sept 11-14, 2015 Penticton

theminister

I think it is also smart to have Shinkaruk-Cassels-Virtanen first line. First off Cassels is going to be the primary shutdown centre in the tourney for us so matchng him with the other teams top centre will be crucial. Plus you don't always want to be defending, you want to push the pace, having the likes of Shinkaruk and Virtanen with their speed and skill will counter with a good offensive attack. Cassels has the smarts and skills to play both ends which offers good balance.

For example playing against Edmonton you not only send out Cassels to put McDavid in his place, but also have Shinky and Virt to push him into playing defense instead of offense.

Smart move actually.

Plus it balances out the rest of the scoring so it wouldn't be just a one line scoring machine.

I think it's good as well. I think it'll be nice to see these guys play with the other best players in our prospect poll. I think it'll give a better idea of where they are in their development. Also, these three guys are all competing for a spot on the team, they will be working they're butts off I'm sure. You wont be able to blame their lack of skilled line mates if they are up to par. Rather them having them play with less skilled line mates, and if they have a bad game, wonder if it's them or perhaps the players they're with.

Also I think it'll be nice to see Cassels play on not a strictly shut down line, might get to see his offence upside a little more.

Hockey. Is. Back.

The 2015 Young Stars Classic gets underway tonight as Jake Virtanen and the Vancouver Canucks face-off against Connor McDavid and the Edmonton Oilers.

The game will be streamed live on Canucks.com with puck drop slated for 7:30 p.m.

For a couple of long time Canucks prospects in Ben Hutton and Joseph Labate, this marks the first year they are eligible to play in Penticton and needless to say, there is a bit of excitement to showcase what they can do in front of the fans.

“The guys have told me a little bit about how fun and intense it is so I am pretty excited,” said Hutton, who was drafted in the fifth round in 2012. “It’s been a little bit of a wait for me as every year I can go to Development Camp but I can’t come here, but that is part of the NCAA rules, and I am just happy I am here now.”

It has been an even longer wait for Labate, the towering forward who has filled out his frame nicely since the Canucks selected him back in the fourth round of the 2011 NHL Draft.

“I have developed into more of a power forward type player,” he said. “When I was a little bit younger I was still growing into my body, and still am, but I have become more of a power forward that can use my skill when I can.”

As for the lineup tonight, although nothing is set in stone, it appears Utica Comets head coach Travis Green, who will be running the Canucks bench this weekend, will go with Cole Cassels between Jake Virtanen and Hunter Shinkaruk, perhaps in a head-to-head matchup against McDavid. Jared McCann centred the second line at Thursday’s practice, between Brendan Gaunce and Dane Fox.

One thing that is set in stone is the excitement level around the Okanagan this year. Ticket packages sold out quickly and fans have traveled from all around to come and get a glimpse of the NHL’s future, including McDavid, the first overall pick back in June.

This is by far the best line-up we've had in this tournament.

Unfortunately the other three teams have been bottom feeders for the better part of a decade and have significantly better prospects in the tourney. That said, I agree, im liking tgis lineup and I think the Nucks have the best prospects in terms of character and leadership

Archived