The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Young Stars Sept 11-14, 2015 Penticton

theminister

Dont get me wrong i like what we have in CC. I dont mean to undersell him. Just many users on here need to temper their expectations. Seems like mcdavid has been an after thought on CDC after one person said that cole contained mcdavid. Coles going to be a good player for us. Connor will put up 50 next season and will rise higher and higher. Cole isnt his kryptonite. The hype is real with mcdavid.

I am expecting Eichel to shine bright this season, even potentially outshine Mcdavid but I could be wrong!

McDavids skating is ridiculous and a big summer with Gary Roberts he is priming himself for a big rookie campaign.

Either way I will not be surpsied for both Mcdavid and Eichel to have seasons where they surpass 70+ pts and are in a calder trophy race.

I am kind of hoping for a calder trophy battle similiar to Crosby/Ovie.

Since these both are suppose to be generational talents.

Am I a bad person for wanting Bennett and McDavid to collide and have career ending injuries?

I'd rather have them decide that their real life's work lies in accounting and quit the NHL, then have both teams trade their rights to us so that when they realize what a bust accounting is (no offence to any accountants here) they can sign with us and we become a significantly improved team!

Dont get me wrong i like what we have in CC. I dont mean to undersell him. Just many users on here need to temper their expectations. Seems like mcdavid has been an after thought on CDC after one person said that cole contained mcdavid. Coles going to be a good player for us. Connor will put up 50 next season and will rise higher and higher. Cole isnt his kryptonite. The hype is real with mcdavid.

Saying Cassels is better than McDavid is like saying Bolland is better than the Sedins. Cassels is good, but he's still only likely to be a top end 3rd line shutdown center where McDavid is likely to be a 1st line elite offensive player.

I tend to agree that people proclaiming him as this season's Canucks 4C and brushing off McJebus are being a bit optimistic in their timing when it comes to CC specifically and underestimating McJ's talents.

That said, poo-pooing what he and his team accomplished this past season is also silly. Particularly as it relates to the Canucks and how we appear to be constructed moving forward.

All you guys are doing to setting yourself up to be disappointed (With your expectations for Cassels). IT TAKES A WHOLE TEAM to limit the impact of a generational player like Mcdavid, NOT just one player

So far I've seen him score 5 goals against human pylons at Oilers camp. Hopefully our boys can fare a little better.

So far I've seen him score 5 goals against human pylons at Oilers camp. Hopefully our boys can fare a little better.

I can see Edler smush McDavid into the boards. There will be an uproar lol. McDavid\s fast but hes still just a kid.

What someone said above though about McDavid being shut down you also have to look at the skill level of his teammates. Cassels will need some serious help to contain McDavid with quality linemates like Hall, Eberle, Yakapov, or Perron. Completely different game. I expect McDavid will struggle on and off for the first half of the season then start to really blow the doors off.

Echiel just thinks hes going to be better then McDavid. I see Echiel personally as a 60-70 point guy on average per season. Maybe peaking at high 80s. Maybe im biasd though. Just don't think hes as great as people pump him up too be.

I think the thing I'm most excited about, other than the games themselves, will be the coaching aspect. I like the way WD and TG are on the same page and are developing players in the same system. Green has a huge crop of rookies coming to him for next season and he's going to get a good look at them come early September. I'm looking forward to this tourney and I hope all the other teams' stars play. These 4 teams have outstanding prospects and it's going to be fun to watch.

Yup.

But no worries, Virtanen can deal with 18 year old Sam Bennett while Cassels continues to dominate McDavid.

I REALLY like our prospect pool; besides not having that one STUD like the other teams have, we've got a good crop of excellent, passionate young players (not to mention Horvat who's already graduated).

How is Virtanen going to deal with Bennett, the big Nucks had a hell of a time dealing with him in the playoffs. Virtanen is good and i like him but if i had a choice i would take Bennett 10 times out of 10.

No official word yet but saw this on twitter so I thought I share it. Not confirmed and I've been looking for an hour but no word if this is true or not.

Looks to be a WHL enforcer, 340 PIMS in 256 games with 68 points.

A decent wind day with Jonny Martin preparing for the upcoming #WHL season and Vancouver Canucks camp http://fb.me/3dGCo9vre

http://www.whl.ca/roster/bio/212685

I can see Edler smush McDavid into the boards. There will be an uproar lol. McDavid\s fast but hes still just a kid.

What someone said above though about McDavid being shut down you also have to look at the skill level of his teammates. Cassels will need some serious help to contain McDavid with quality linemates like Hall, Eberle, Yakapov, or Perron. Completely different game. I expect McDavid will struggle on and off for the first half of the season then start to really blow the doors off.

Echiel just thinks hes going to be better then McDavid. I see Echiel personally as a 60-70 point guy on average per season. Maybe peaking at high 80s. Maybe im biasd though. Just don't think hes as great as people pump him up too be.

Right now high 80's is the best players in the l;eague. Benn won the title last year with 87 points. 70 points and over is only 15 players in this day and age. If Echiel is going to be a 60-70 point guy, he is basically a Sedin in terms of points. If he is a 70-80 point player in today's NHL, there isn't much further he can go.

Hutton - Subban

Brisebois - Sautner

Cederholm - Neill

McEneny, Olsen

Unfortunately, this just highlights the lack of high end talent (heck, even mid-range talent) on defense in this organization (cue up the Subban will be the next blah blah and Brisebois is gonna be a stud in the Q blah blah folks now.....)

If ever there was a case against BPA at the draft in favor of organizational need (within reason obviously), this is it.

edit: spelled Punk Kids brothers name wrong, oh the blasphemy!

Unfortunately, this just highlights the lack of high end talent (heck, even mid-range talent) on defense in this organization (cue up the Subban will be the next blah blah and Brisebois is gonna be a stud in the Q blah blah folks now.....)

If ever there was a case against BPA at the draft in favor of organizational need (within reason obviously), this is it.

edit: spelled Punk Kids brothers name wrong, oh the blasphemy!

No bro - always BPA,

It's just that we are hanging into vets instead of accumulating takent- infact that's exactly what Weisbroad or whatever his name is said "we are not looking to accumulate talent"

Those were his exact words when asked why they didn't trade more vets for picks

Pretty dumb ass thing to say

Hmmmmmm, I might be able to actually go to one of the games :o

Anyone going to watch the games which Vancouver isn't playing in?

When I've gone in past years I've bought the package. You spend a lot of time in the arena eating too much crappy arena food, but the other games are still good to watch and it really helped satiate my hockey fix after a summer of nothing.

Archived