The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My 2k bet on Canucks vs Oilers

kill_the_avs2

Ok I'm a huge Canucks fan. I grew up on Van island. Now I've been living in Edmonton for the last 12 years. The history behind the bet is since 2010 season me and my crazed oiler fan best friend have bet 300 season on who was going finish with more points. Now obiously it's been along 5 years for my friend with whom I share season seats in Edmonton. Now as math would tell you I'm up 1500 in the last 5 years. After a few drinks last night he decided that not only he's certain that the oilers will win this season, he's wants to be up 500 after this year. Hence the 2000 wager.

Now after accepting this bet I have minor concerns. Despite contrary beliives, I think Vancouver will be improved this year. We're possibly not better on paper than last but the grit and young talent coming in this year I know we're going in the right direction. Edmonton feels like a huge X factor (mcdavid and that SJ coach) I'm scared the possible AVS factor last to first.

So my question is this... 2000 dollar bet on Canucks vs Oil total season Pts tie break goes to season series... Am I safe? Thoughts?

Go Canucks!

Damn man, that takes balls. Well, I don't know your financial situation, but 2k is a lot of money to me.

That being said, I would take that bet. Don't think the Oil will faceplant straight out the gate like last year, but they'll fizzle and fade in the new year. Even if some of their young guns have had a few seasons to acclimate to the 82 game grind, they're not ready for the mental pressure of holding a playoff spot down as sht gets real down the stretch. Their media and fanbase will be tripping over themselves with cockiness if they do get off to a hot start, which does manage to trickle down (up?) to the team itself.

You're in for a tense season though imo. Enjoy.

McDavid makes the Oilers significantly better, but I wouldn't say they'll beat us just yet. It may be close though.

Damn man, that takes balls. Well, I don't know your financial situation, but 2k is a lot of money to me.

Same for me. 2k would destroy my bank account.

It'll be a close fight, but I think the Canucks will end up between the 3rd place in the Division to either wild card place to 1st spot out of the playoffs. The Oilers on the other hand are more likely to be fighting for a wild card place at the very best, but I think the best they'll do is 9th or 10th in the Conference.

Gotta say, your friend must be some kind of stupid to bet 300$ on Edmonton being better than the Canucks in the past five years. Must have sucked for him being the loser of the bet even when Torts were in charge. Or he's really smart and has made enough money to just don't care about 300$.

And I think you'll win this season as well, as I predict them to finish 7th and we'll finish 5th in the Pacific. But it's very difficult to predict. Let's say McDavid has a Crosby/Malkin/Ovie like rookie season and the rest of their young guns delivers. Then you'd be in some kind of trouble.

Either way, good luck!

Well there are a lot of people at the Hockey News who would take your bet...just got their yearbook (subscriber for 15 years) and they have us 6th in the division and the Oilers 5th (both wild card spots going to the central too..ughh...). That said they ranked us out of the playoffs last year and 16th overall - and we ranked 8th overall and 2nd in division. They also gave the Sedins no love after placing 9th and 13th in scoring - no listed in the top 50 current players (with some pretty silly choices ahead of them too) so there is obviously little Canuck love coming their way despite us having the best record in the league the last five years combined still, and only CHI and ANA matching our 100 point seasons.

I personally think your safe. No way they gain 30 points on Vancouver in one year, especially in this division.

Oh - I forgot to add...you need to be prepared to take this bet every year given what your friend just did through an era off poor Oil teams and league best VAN teams - even if the Canucks fumble for a few years and the Oil are dominating (which they could be in one or two years time, sooner if they pull in two more defenseman or Nurse pulls an Ekblad). What he did showed a lot of courage.

We had a couple close tussle's with them last year. With both their defense and offense upgraded significantly I find it hard to back you on this bet.

Some will laugh, but I think the Oilers will be at least a bubble team this year. Goaltending is the toss up that will determine their fate IMO.

Head to head they may beat us because they match up well against us- faster and more skilled, but with their lack of veteran leadership, goaltending and defence, I think this year we finish ahead if them, both of us out of the playoffs and then they pass us next year.

The mcdavid factor is huge - imagine if he gets injured (they are stupid to play him in the young stars tournament) or if he doesn't pan out- the team will finish bottom 5 again

Archived