The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darryl Sydor DUI with son in car

Kragar

Minnesota Wild assistant coach and former Dallas Stars defenseman Darryl Sydor was arrested Thursday for driving under the influence by the Anoka County Sherrif’s Office in Minnesota.

The former Stanley Cup winner reportedly was arrested at 5:15 p.m. after an observer called in and reported “erratic behavior” to the police, Lt. Mike Monsrud told the Star-Tribune.Sydor, 43, was charged with second-degree driving while impaired, according to the sheriff office’s official website. The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports the coach could also face child-endangerment charges.

He failed field-sobriety tests and had a blood-alcohol content level of .30 — over three times the legal limit — and had one of his sons in the car with him, Monsrud told the newspaper.

“One of the officers actually drove the child to the hockey game in Brooklyn Park,” Monsrud reportedly said, as attempts to contact the boy’s mother were unsuccessful.

Further arrangements were made to get the boy safely home, according to the report.

Sydor remained in jail Friday morning, according to the sheriff office’s website.

Sydor was traded to the Stars in 1996, helping Dallas win the 1999 Stanely Cup. He was traded to Columbus in 2003, but had later stints with the club during the 2006-07 and 2008-09 seasons.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/08/former-dallas-stars-defenseman-darryl-sydor-arrested-for-dui-reportedly-had-bac-over-30-son-in-the-car.html/

At least he was caught before anyone could get hurt. Bonehead move if you ask me.

Error in judgment or habitual behavior?

The ROR thread was a sh÷t storm, shame on the guy is all I'll say.

And no, I've never driven after consuming, EVER!

edit; not saying I've never made bad choices in my life but my poor decisions never put my own or anyone else's loved ones in danger.

BAC 0.3 at 5:15pm?!?

I dunno how he was able to back out the drive way.

I dunno how he even walked to his car at that xD

Error in judgment or habitual behavior?

The ROR thread was a sh÷t storm, shame on the guy is all I'll say.

And no, I've never driven after consuming, EVER!

edit; not saying I've never made bad choices in my life but my poor decisions never put my own or anyone else's loved ones in danger.

IMO habitual behavior. That percentage is something most first timers would never do.

(and this is where I lose everyone)

Coming from a guy who thinks drunk driving is kind of a propaganda mainstream based crime in the public eye.

He may be drunk but I believe that his decision making abilities were still intact, but CHOSE to do something boneheaded. As Baka mentioned before, a first timer would not have been successful in coordinating himself - suggesting that Sydor has done this before.

No excuse.

I agree, and having your son in the car should give one pause to think before acting lol.

I understand that, just wondered why it was presumed he can't stay sober lol.

If you look up the definition of someone who is classified as an addict, he fits quite nicely. Based on that, and alcoholics, he is likely either going to never stop drinking, or have a very hard time doing so. That's just the nature of the beast.

Archived