The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2015 and the problem with 17

vanforever

Ive been reading these boards for as long as i can remember. yes, i am a new "member".

that out of the way, ive been thinking about the offseason and trying to assess where this team is heading. i am one of the few who actually like whats been happening. apart from the sbisa extension which is pretty high (but may look good in a few years). benning and linden have kept us in the hunt while losing some pieces that we needed to lose and adding grit, character and talent.

maybe ive been in kelowna a little too long, but after the trading of kesler - im starting to think maybe part of bennings "plan" is regarding the number 17. kesler was clearly leaving. vrbata has been great (at his age, he has done more than we could have expected) and this year is his last with us. he wears 17.

this summer everyone had an opinion of another 17. like him or hate him, Lucic is a unique player who many have wanted to "come home". benning was smart enough to not give up a pile of pieces for a guy who he may very well be able to get for nothing after this season with LA. my thought is that with vrbata likely being traded at the deadline (easy first round pick) we will have another 17 taking his place.

as irrelevant as it is, i was taking my kids to see pixels a few weeks back and lucic was there with his wife and daughter to see minions. i grabbed a photo and asked what we are all thinking. his words with a big smile were "guess we will have to see how it plays out in LA first"

looking forward to a great group here this season. cheers!

Ive been reading these boards for as long as i can remember. yes, i am a new "member".

that out of the way, ive been thinking about the offseason and trying to assess where this team is heading. i am one of the few who actually like whats been happening. apart from the sbisa extension which is pretty high (but may look good in a few years). benning and linden have kept us in the hunt while losing some pieces that we needed to lose and adding grit, character and talent.

maybe ive been in kelowna a little too long, but after the trading of kesler - im starting to think maybe part of bennings "plan" is regarding the number 17. kesler was clearly leaving. vrbata has been great (at his age, he has done more than we could have expected) and this year is his last with us. he wears 17.

this summer everyone had an opinion of another 17. like him or hate him, Lucic is a unique player who many have wanted to "come home". benning was smart enough to not give up a pile of pieces for a guy who he may very well be able to get for nothing after this season with LA. my thought is that with vrbata likely being traded at the deadline (easy first round pick) we will have another 17 taking his place.

as irrelevant as it is, i was taking my kids to see pixels a few weeks back and lucic was there with his wife and daughter to see minions. i grabbed a photo and asked what we are all thinking. his words with a big smile were "guess we will have to see how it plays out in LA first"

looking forward to a great group here this season. cheers!

That's really cool. I agree. We needed big Milan for a long time. We should have drafted him in the first place. Next summer it's time to correct that mistake, and bring him home. Some fans are very negative. It's nice to read a positive voice. Welcome to the forum.

hes all meat and potatoes....im not overthinking. i just think benning wants this guy. personally im on the other end of things re lucic

No crap Benning wants Lucic I want him here too, he is a heck of a player. I hope we sign him just not a dime over 6 million B)

No crap Benning wants Lucic I want him here too, he is a heck of a player. I hope we sign him just not a dime over 6 million B)

With all the young guys coming up, and some veterans leaving next summer, don't you think we could pay Lucic more - even though it would be too much?

That's really cool. I agree. We needed big Milan for a long time. We should have drafted him in the first place. Next summer it's time to correct that mistake, and bring him home. Some fans are very negative. It's nice to read a positive voice. Welcome to the forum.

Draft him. Are you kidding? The 2006 draft was in Vancouver and you think Vancouver should have taken Vancouverite Lucic?

That makes no sense.

I'm really glad the Canucks knew better than that and drafted Grabner. I mean, look at Grabner's career now.

If the Canucks had drafted Lucic in 2006, they would have had Lucic for the Cup Final. I mean think about that one.

Who in their right mind would ever want Lucic on a Cup winning team.

No one. Grabner though. Oh my. What speed and skill he has. Those Euros sure are much better than any local Canadian Vancouverite.

Draft him. Are you kidding? The 2006 draft was in Vancouver and you think Vancouver should have taken Lucic?

I'm really glad the Canucks knew better than that and drafted Grabner. I mean, look at Grabner's career now.

If the Canucks had drafted Lucic in 2006, they would have had Lucic for the Cup Final. I mean think about that one.

No one. Grabner though. Oh my. What speed and skill he has. Those Euros sure are much better than any local Canadian Vancouverite.

It's this sort of romanticized hindsight that reveals how little a poster knows.

Lucic scored 19 points in his draft year! Because of his physicality, he was projected as a 4th line enforcer/energy player. Central Scouting had him ranked 94th in the draft. It wasn't until the following year that he suddenly found his hands and developed a strong scoring ability, making him such a 2-way force.

So you really, truly think that the Canucks, who had next to nothing in the pipeline for offensively skilled players, should have used their 14th overall pick on a guy ranked 94th who had 19 points in Junior? Seriously? Going off the board and picking Grabner (ranked 23rd) was one thing (and still, only 5/16 of the 1st rounders selected after him have outperformed him to date, so he wasn't even that bad of a pick), but without the benefit of hindsight, it would have been one of the biggest reaches in the history of the draft.

Maybe he was on the Canucks' radar? Maybe they hoped to get him with their next pick (82nd overall - reasonable to assume the 94th ranked player may still be available). But 14th overall? GTFO!

How about you make a projection without hindsight? Please tell us which 2015 drafted players with .3 points-per-game in Junior will end up better NHL players than Boeser? Heck, how about which ones will even MAKE the NHL?

Draft him. Are you kidding? The 2006 draft was in Vancouver and you think Vancouver should have taken Vancouverite Lucic?

That makes no sense.

Yeah who would want Lucic. A guy who's only been playing Jr in Vancouver's backyard for how many years before he was drafted by Boston??

Archived