The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

#1 key to 2015-16 season and the bigger picture

Arrow 1983

Hello, I am a new member long time reader of this Canucks forum.

Heads up this is going to be a slightly long read. It will be my opinion of where this team is headed this season and my explanation and reason of what I believe is the key to this season. (hint I believe it has nothing to do with any aspect of the game as a hole ie. offence, defence or goal tending neither does it have anything to do with special teams, advanced stats or coaching. However I do believe this season comes down to one player and his ability to rebound from a mediocre season).

First, I would like to say that I believe in Benning and Lindens moves this past season. I believe the one thing most Canuck fans can agree on is that the Canucks achievements in the regular season blew most people expectations away. ( there will always be some fans that will say they knew the Canucks where going to have a great season). I am not here to argue this point. My point for stating this is in the past regime the MG era we would have seen very few changes in the off season and just replace the pieces we had lost. This is one of the biggest difference I have seen in the Benning- Linden era, they where not happy with what they saw in the playoffs. This brings me to the off season changes.

The first change I will discuss is the Kassian trade. When Zack first got here many of us thought Hodgson was the better player in this trade. I myself thought that very same thing more and more as Hodgson first season went on in Buffalo. Then my opinion started to change and I plus many others started to see the potential in Zack. How many of us thought what if he was just given a chance. But the truth is even if Zack was playing on the forth line or first he never showed that big body presents. His skills where only showcased when he did get a chance to play with the Sedins. But that was the problem, Zack was never going to be a player who helped his line mates get better he was the player that got better with better line mates. That is the definition of inconsistency and lack of leadership and heart. As we all know Linden knows something about wearing your heart on your sleeve. Enter Prust, he is a guy who will throw the body, play any role he needs to and give it 100% ever game. Is it the best trade no but what a lot of fans have not realized is he will be a trade able asset if we are not in the playoff hunt. So this trade could still see more coming back to the Canucks.

Second, the Sutter trade. To me this is a no brainer I pull the trigger ever day on this trade but not for the reasons we are given but for the bigger picture. I do believe Sutter is a better defensive player than Nick Bonino and Sutter in the long run will fit a third line better. In my opinion I believe there is two mini season with in the regular season and a lot of fans would agree before Christmas and after Christmas. Before Christmas we see open ice fast skating LA kings can't keep up crappy teams have fast starts call as many penalties as possible. After Christmas, Crunch time, Defensive 2-1 games LA loves it shove you in the corner Oilers going to suck put the whistles away hockey. Now tell me this who does better before Christmas and who does better after Christmas? What kind of hockey do we see in the playoffs? Part one the bigger picture is always the playoffs.

Part 2 getting youth into the line up. So if Clendening has to be moved to get Sutter and allows us to open a spot for Jake Virtanen that just allows us to fill two parts of the bigger picture.

That brings us to the Third off season move, Eddie Lack. The bigger picture. Trade Miller and next season you have Lack and Markstrom. I would be just fine with this except for the fact that Lack is a Ufa that would be looking for a long term big money contract after this season. The best thing the Canucks having going for them is that Miller is only signed for 2 more seasons and so is Markstrom. If Markstrom proves he can become a # 1 goalie we can try and trade Miller next season or split duties the season afterwards. But is that not to costly not really cause markstrom would be under payed for a starter. Once Miller leaves in two seasons we can still sign Markstrom to a 3 year deal and for lower money than lack would cost and still bring in Demko or another backup if Demko is not ready in 2 years. The Bigger picture here is that neither Miller, Lack or Markstrom will be are starting Goal tender in 3-5 years keeping Lack here would have made him are starter. It would have created another goalie controversy. Either between Lack and Markstrom or Lack and Demko. Now Markstrom can have 2 years behind Miller and Demko can have a few years behind Markstrom. If Markstrom fails to prove himself the canucks will have the cap space after two years to sign another starting Goal tender for 3 years for Demko to play behind.

So lets quickly look at are goal tending situation, The biggest flaw here is if Miller suffers another injury we are stuck with Markstrom as are backup. While what happens if we kept Lack first we would have lost Markstrom for nothing there was very little chance he was going to clear waivers this up coming season like last season. Second Market wise there was probably no takers for him considering the low return we got for Lack that said there was no way he clears waivers some other team would have taken him for free. Second we trade Miller. We have 2 problems here, is Lack ready to play 55-60 games maybe. What if Lack gets Hurt. We would have Markstrom as backup. Kind of voids the issue with Miller. The truth is any goalie in any season can get Hurt. Just because Miller got hurt this season does not mean he will get hurt next season. Miller is not prone to injury he is not Sami Salo. I believe that there is a section of Canuck Nation that has a SAMI SALO COMPLEX.

This Takes me to are offence. I think we are better situated than last season. First, the Sedins are getting older but there game is the same. The older argument works if your game means speed. Lets get real the Sedins do nothing fast except find each other. The season they had under Tortz is what we would call an outlier aka out of place. So we should expect about 70 points from them this season and many seasons to come with minor drops per season ( I would predict that in there final year of there currant contract they will average still 65 points give or take a few). More importantly is who plays with them, this touches on the balance of are line up and the bigger picture.

Line up (call me crazy if u want).

Sedin Sedin Virtanen ( if he is ready and only if he is NHL ready)

Baertschi Sutter Burrows

Higgins Horvat Vrbata

Dorsett Vey Prust Hansen

Kenins

First you will notice the forth line has for guys. Vey still needs to prove he is an NHL centre if not he is a extra forward at best. You say the other 3 have no centre experience is a mute point to me. Horvat and Sutter win 50 plus % of all there face offs. Henrik wins close to 50% of his why would any one else need to take face offs. Vey is a right hand draw so is Sutter. Sutter makes us better at centre right there. We lacked all year in right hand draws mostly cause Vey could not win a draw and we had no one else.

Second you ask why that second and third line and why Horvat and Vrbata on the third. One, they are not second or third lines they are balanced. Right hand Sutter passing to a left hand Baertschi but Sutter might be the better scorer and Baertschi the better passer. Remember Kesler and Mikael Samuelsson. Burrows for net presents and for checking

Horvat a left hand passer to Vrbata right and shot. Again Horvat can score and Vrbata can pass (notice he does collect his assists). Higgins net presents and for checking. Funny both Higgins and Burrows collect there fair share of goals as well.

The First Line. (Something I would really like to see). Benning-Linden have said you have to play your youth with good players it is the only why they will learn. Aka do not do it like EDM. I agree with this you do not blow your team apart to put in all youth it is not hockey I want to watch and there is a lot of fans that would agree. Trade the Sedins. They would go to a team that is Stanley cup contender what kind of draft picks do you think you are going to get? What kind of prospects do good teams have? What core player will they part with? They go to a playoff bound mid rank team and that team becomes Stanley cup contenders same problem. Why would they go anywhere else?

My point use these guys to our advantage teach Jake Virtanen how to be a first liner. This goes with all are top prospects. We do this with goal tenders all the time. Mentor these prospects. This is part of the BIGGER PICTURE.

My rant is over and now we talk defence and the guy that can make or break are season.

lineup for defence

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Weber or Corrado

Sbisa Weber, Corrado or Bartkowski

As you can see the only set Pairing is Edler and Tanev. Are defence goes if these guys go but these guys are not the key to the season. These two have found chemistry and I believe this pairing will only get stronger.

Weber: even if he duplicates last season or scores more goals he will always be one dimensional. Not a bad thing if he can improve our power play he is probably not the guy you want on the ice in the last 5 mins of a game. This stays true even if he improves his puck moving skills. He just lacks the X-factor.

Corrado: I expect him to improve his game even possibly become a top 4 defence man but if he does the rest of our defence would suck.

Bartkowski: he is who he is he is going to give you what he gives you. Toughness around the net and has some upside.

Sbise: I expect major improvements from him but really if he does worst this season he should not be in the NHL. However I believe he will surprise us this season.

The Key to the season is the leadership and consistency Hammer can bring to the Canucks game. Prior to last season in which he still had 1 goal and 22 assists this guy could jump on the ice and bring the game back to the Canucks level. Back to the style of play the Canucks prefer, a possession game.

If he can find his game and I do believe he can. Remember it is a contract year for him but that being said he is not a guy that that comes off as some one who get motived by his next contract but the fact he wants to win. We have to remember that this is the same guy who got picked to play for his Country not because he was the most skilled player but because of things that character players bring to the game.

If Hammer can find his game this season it is my opinion that this Canucks team of 2015-16 can not only make the playoffs but also make a splash in the playoffs.

If I am putting my money on Hammer it is the safest bet you can make. So I am preparing myself for a kick butt season.

Thanks for one of the better thought out first posts.

A lot of the material has been discussed a lot already so I won't get into any of the specifics. But, I would just say that for the trades and moves done in the off-season, all we can do is speculate as to whether or not they are good or bad moves. Time will tell (sort of). For all we know Kassian will light it up in Montreal, but there is nothing to say he would be anything different than we have already seen if he stayed a Canuck. Likewise with Prust. Maybe he comes here and sucks because that is where he is at mentally or physically. Who knows if that would have happened in Montreal? It's all just fun speculation really.

Sad when a player that Calgary gave up on is slotted on our second line. Says it all right there about where we stand.

Sad when a player that Pittsburgh gave up on was slotted on our first line and was our captain for years.

I don't put stock in what other teams think of players. It's up to what they do when they get a chance to shine. Some take it and run (Dubnyk?) Some fold like a Cheap Cheechoo.

Holy crap man, so many words!!! So much thinking... I applaud your first post, a thread no less, pretty sure my first post was along the lines of "no way, that's insane"...

I agree that Hammer's season and the Nux season will reflect on eachother to some extent, however, it would seem he's set to leave at the DL, unless injured...

I doubt Virtannen see's much, if any ice with the Sedins, even in practice, during his 9games before he's most likely sent back down. Although, last August I assumed the same of Horvat.

The teams fate rides on the twins ability to still win games. And they will

Edit- And I don't really like your tone related to the twins "not doing anything fast..." THEY NEVER HAVE. One of the most overlooked and underrated skills they have is that they're able to slow the game down to the exact speed they want, find eathother and make plays. Their game does not rely on speed, or strength, or crazy buttery dangles, it's all IQ and they're beauties. Considering the style they play, they'll be effective scoring forwards for years to come. Also, they're not getting traded to a contender, that's not happening for cap reasons and that they don't ever want to leave.

Holy crap man, so many words!!! So much thinking... I applaud your first post, a thread no less, pretty sure my first post was along the lines of "no way, that's insane"...

I agree that Hammer's season and the Nux season will reflect on eachother to some extent, however, it would seem he's set to leave at the DL, unless injured...

I doubt Virtannen see's much, if any ice with the Sedins, even in practice, during his 9games before he's most likely sent back down. Although, last August I assumed the same of Horvat.

The teams fate rides on the twins ability to still win games. And they will

Edit- And I don't really like your tone related to the twins "not doing anything fast..." THEY NEVER HAVE. One of the most overlooked and underrated skills they have is that they're able to slow the game down to the exact speed they want, find eathother and make plays. Their game does not rely on speed, or strength, or crazy buttery dangles, it's all IQ and they're beauties. Considering the style they play, they'll be effective scoring forwards for years to come. Also, they're not getting traded to a contender, that's not happening for cap reasons and that they don't ever want to leave.

My point exactly they slow the game to their pace and the only thing they do quick is find each other that's what I meant quick passes not quick skating and very few can do it. That's why the aging argument means nothing to these player.

I do agree that you should play your prospects with good linemates but in the case of Virtanen it's not necessary to play him with the Sedins to learn. Virtanen plays a physical, up-tempo kind of game. In his first season he shouldn't worry about putting up 50p and winning the Calder(that would be great though). But I'd rather see him in a bottom six role where he learns the nhl game. WD will roll four lines all year so he'd get at least ten minutes a game if he makes the team. What I hope for this season is.

Daniel Henrik Burrows

Baercheese Sutter Vrbata

Higgins Horvat Virtanen

Prust/Dorsett Vey Hansen

Btw, I don't like the fourth line atm. It's way to much money invested in players that only bring grit. And it makes it harder to make space for prospects like Kennins and Grenier to make the team. And what would you rather pay for, below $1mil for Kennins or $2.5mil for Prust/Dorsett?

Thumbs up for being original.

Thumbs down for grammar. Reader needs translation into English.

There's a lot of comments here but I'll comment on a couple things:

Virtanen and any other player will have to earn their ice time and line position. This is a key part of player development. Nothing for free.

I like the lines being composed of complimentary players. I think that the coach looks for chemistry between players already though.

I agree that Hamhuis is an important player which is why I question whether he will be moved at the deadline. He is a player who could net a nice return but he is key in terms of skill and leadership so unless they have 2 more top 4 D by the deadline, Hammer probably gets re-signed.

Hello, I am a new member long time reader of this Canucks forum.

Heads up this is going to be a slightly long read. It will be my opinion of where this team is headed this season and my explanation and reason of what I believe is the key to this season. (hint I believe it has nothing to do with any aspect of the game as a hole ie. offence, defence or goal tending neither does it have anything to do with special teams, advanced stats or coaching. However I do believe this season comes down to one player and his ability to rebound from a mediocre season).

First, I would like to say that I believe in Benning and Lindens moves this past season. I believe the one thing most Canuck fans can agree on is that the Canucks achievements in the regular season blew most people expectations away. ( there will always be some fans that will say they knew the Canucks where going to have a great season). I am not here to argue this point. My point for stating this is in the past regime the MG era we would have seen very few changes in the off season and just replace the pieces we had lost. This is one of the biggest difference I have seen in the Benning- Linden era, they where not happy with what they saw in the playoffs. This brings me to the off season changes.

The first change I will discuss is the Kassian trade. When Zack first got here many of us thought Hodgson was the better player in this trade. I myself thought that very same thing more and more as Hodgson first season went on in Buffalo. Then my opinion started to change and I plus many others started to see the potential in Zack. How many of us thought what if he was just given a chance. But the truth is even if Zack was playing on the forth line or first he never showed that big body presents. His skills where only showcased when he did get a chance to play with the Sedins. But that was the problem, Zack was never going to be a player who helped his line mates get better he was the player that got better with better line mates. That is the definition of inconsistency and lack of leadership and heart. As we all know Linden knows something about wearing your heart on your sleeve. Enter Prust, he is a guy who will throw the body, play any role he needs to and give it 100% ever game. Is it the best trade no but what a lot of fans have not realized is he will be a trade able asset if we are not in the playoff hunt. So this trade could still see more coming back to the Canucks.

Second, the Sutter trade. To me this is a no brainer I pull the trigger ever day on this trade but not for the reasons we are given but for the bigger picture. I do believe Sutter is a better defensive player than Nick Bonino and Sutter in the long run will fit a third line better. In my opinion I believe there is two mini season with in the regular season and a lot of fans would agree before Christmas and after Christmas. Before Christmas we see open ice fast skating LA kings can't keep up crappy teams have fast starts call as many penalties as possible. After Christmas, Crunch time, Defensive 2-1 games LA loves it shove you in the corner Oilers going to suck put the whistles away hockey. Now tell me this who does better before Christmas and who does better after Christmas? What kind of hockey do we see in the playoffs? Part one the bigger picture is always the playoffs.

Part 2 getting youth into the line up. So if Clendening has to be moved to get Sutter and allows us to open a spot for Jake Virtanen that just allows us to fill two parts of the bigger picture.

That brings us to the Third off season move, Eddie Lack. The bigger picture. Trade Miller and next season you have Lack and Markstrom. I would be just fine with this except for the fact that Lack is a Ufa that would be looking for a long term big money contract after this season. The best thing the Canucks having going for them is that Miller is only signed for 2 more seasons and so is Markstrom. If Markstrom proves he can become a # 1 goalie we can try and trade Miller next season or split duties the season afterwards. But is that not to costly not really cause markstrom would be under payed for a starter. Once Miller leaves in two seasons we can still sign Markstrom to a 3 year deal and for lower money than lack would cost and still bring in Demko or another backup if Demko is not ready in 2 years. The Bigger picture here is that neither Miller, Lack or Markstrom will be are starting Goal tender in 3-5 years keeping Lack here would have made him are starter. It would have created another goalie controversy. Either between Lack and Markstrom or Lack and Demko. Now Markstrom can have 2 years behind Miller and Demko can have a few years behind Markstrom. If Markstrom fails to prove himself the canucks will have the cap space after two years to sign another starting Goal tender for 3 years for Demko to play behind.

So lets quickly look at are goal tending situation, The biggest flaw here is if Miller suffers another injury we are stuck with Markstrom as are backup. While what happens if we kept Lack first we would have lost Markstrom for nothing there was very little chance he was going to clear waivers this up coming season like last season. Second Market wise there was probably no takers for him considering the low return we got for Lack that said there was no way he clears waivers some other team would have taken him for free. Second we trade Miller. We have 2 problems here, is Lack ready to play 55-60 games maybe. What if Lack gets Hurt. We would have Markstrom as backup. Kind of voids the issue with Miller. The truth is any goalie in any season can get Hurt. Just because Miller got hurt this season does not mean he will get hurt next season. Miller is not prone to injury he is not Sami Salo. I believe that there is a section of Canuck Nation that has a SAMI SALO COMPLEX.

This Takes me to are offence. I think we are better situated than last season. First, the Sedins are getting older but there game is the same. The older argument works if your game means speed. Lets get real the Sedins do nothing fast except find each other. The season they had under Tortz is what we would call an outlier aka out of place. So we should expect about 70 points from them this season and many seasons to come with minor drops per season ( I would predict that in there final year of there currant contract they will average still 65 points give or take a few). More importantly is who plays with them, this touches on the balance of are line up and the bigger picture.

Line up (call me crazy if u want).

Sedin Sedin Virtanen ( if he is ready and only if he is NHL ready)

Baertschi Sutter Burrows

Higgins Horvat Vrbata

Dorsett Vey Prust Hansen

Kenins

First you will notice the forth line has for guys. Vey still needs to prove he is an NHL centre if not he is a extra forward at best. You say the other 3 have no centre experience is a mute point to me. Horvat and Sutter win 50 plus % of all there face offs. Henrik wins close to 50% of his why would any one else need to take face offs. Vey is a right hand draw so is Sutter. Sutter makes us better at centre right there. We lacked all year in right hand draws mostly cause Vey could not win a draw and we had no one else.

Second you ask why that second and third line and why Horvat and Vrbata on the third. One, they are not second or third lines they are balanced. Right hand Sutter passing to a left hand Baertschi but Sutter might be the better scorer and Baertschi the better passer. Remember Kesler and Mikael Samuelsson. Burrows for net presents and for checking

Horvat a left hand passer to Vrbata right and shot. Again Horvat can score and Vrbata can pass (notice he does collect his assists). Higgins net presents and for checking. Funny both Higgins and Burrows collect there fair share of goals as well.

The First Line. (Something I would really like to see). Benning-Linden have said you have to play your youth with good players it is the only why they will learn. Aka do not do it like EDM. I agree with this you do not blow your team apart to put in all youth it is not hockey I want to watch and there is a lot of fans that would agree. Trade the Sedins. They would go to a team that is Stanley cup contender what kind of draft picks do you think you are going to get? What kind of prospects do good teams have? What core player will they part with? They go to a playoff bound mid rank team and that team becomes Stanley cup contenders same problem. Why would they go anywhere else?

My point use these guys to our advantage teach Jake Virtanen how to be a first liner. This goes with all are top prospects. We do this with goal tenders all the time. Mentor these prospects. This is part of the BIGGER PICTURE.

My rant is over and now we talk defence and the guy that can make or break are season.

lineup for defence

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Weber or Corrado

Sbisa Weber, Corrado or Bartkowski

As you can see the only set Pairing is Edler and Tanev. Are defence goes if these guys go but these guys are not the key to the season. These two have found chemistry and I believe this pairing will only get stronger.

Weber: even if he duplicates last season or scores more goals he will always be one dimensional. Not a bad thing if he can improve our power play he is probably not the guy you want on the ice in the last 5 mins of a game. This stays true even if he improves his puck moving skills. He just lacks the X-factor.

Corrado: I expect him to improve his game even possibly become a top 4 defence man but if he does the rest of our defence would suck.

Bartkowski: he is who he is he is going to give you what he gives you. Toughness around the net and has some upside.

Sbise: I expect major improvements from him but really if he does worst this season he should not be in the NHL. However I believe he will surprise us this season.

The Key to the season is the leadership and consistency Hammer can bring to the Canucks game. Prior to last season in which he still had 1 goal and 22 assists this guy could jump on the ice and bring the game back to the Canucks level. Back to the style of play the Canucks prefer, a possession game.

If he can find his game and I do believe he can. Remember it is a contract year for him but that being said he is not a guy that that comes off as some one who get motived by his next contract but the fact he wants to win. We have to remember that this is the same guy who got picked to play for his Country not because he was the most skilled player but because of things that character players bring to the game.

If Hammer can find his game this season it is my opinion that this Canucks team of 2015-16 can not only make the playoffs but also make a splash in the playoffs.

If I am putting my money on Hammer it is the safest bet you can make. So I am preparing myself for a kick butt season.

Hey, great read. I enjoyed your perspective.

I too think we are going to have a good season. I agree with your take on Benning's building a team that is better suited for a playoff run. I see no reason why this year we could not go all the way!

We have solid, proven, goaltending.

We have a great group of centres, who all play excellent 200 foot games

We have good wingers, who can score, fight, play skilled, and tough.

We have young guys coming in, who are pushing the older guys

We have a better D than last year.

So...a teenager who didn't play the top line for the Comets is going to play with the twins? And our undisputed top goalscorer is on the 3rd line?

:huh:

But yeah, I too am sick of players who don't elevate their game when the time comes. Would prefer squeak in with warriors who come to play, rather than win the division with the former, and fold at the first sign of adversity.

That said, I think this year the team will miss the playoffs. Long-term though, that will be a good thing. Selling off a few rentals and loading up on picks/prospects will set us up for years to come.

Yeah. The line up looks terrible. Lots of third liners very few goal scorers and a d core that aside from tanev and edler looks horrible. Hamhuis was slow last season he rarely if ever thru a hit and was badly beaten in the corners. 1 goal for what's suppose to be an offensive d man is flat out terrible. He's a #5 at best and has and no business on the pp. sbisa looked his worst when paired with Hamhuis. Sutter is a third liner just cause you pay a guy second line money doesn't change what he is (clarkson) . Seven and jake might pan out and they better since this club has Little to no scoring.

If that line up was on Calgary or Edmonton you would all be laughing at it and calling for another top pick. Which is exactly what we will get if benning doesn't do something else stupid

Archived