The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where can I launch kayak in White Rock?

sakage.shinga

Hi guys, I'd like to go paddling near White Rock pier, but the closest place where I know to launch from is Crescent Beach, which for me is a little further from the Pier than I'd like. Is there somewhere closer to the white rock pier where I can park my car and launch the kayak without walking too far? Thanks!

Hmm, it seems your problem is motivation and maybe a touch of fear. Expand your horizons, get familiar with how to read charts, take a class on open water navigation and say bye bye to the pier.

I'm not from whiterock so I can't help you there, but I've been paddling in the Pacific for as long as I can remember and I can say that there is so much more pleasure in challenging yourself and striving to be better than looking for an easier way. Meant respectfully.

Be safe out there, happy paddling :)

Hmm, it seems your problem is motivation and maybe a touch of fear. Expand your horizons, get familiar with how to read charts, take a class on open water navigation and say bye bye to the pier.

I'm not from whiterock so I can't help you there, but I've been paddling in the Pacific for as long as I can remember and I can say that there is so much more pleasure in challenging yourself and striving to be better than looking for an easier way. Meant respectfully.

/endthread

With that, if someone is just getting acquainted with things, best to test the waters first and you're right to suggest doing so. And fear is actually not a bad thing to consider in the ever changing waters to someone not as experienced as you are.

Challenging yourself should be in sequence with learning things (first) because any water sport involves risk. Others can't set the bar in that and to suggest that it's somehow not ok to be cautious is wrong. We were all "learners" once and pacing yourself is important. You've been paddling "since you can remember" but you learned once, too and this person isn't at the level you're at.

So best to be cautious, as is the indication here. When people are challenged, it should be determined by their own comfort zone, NOT someone else's.

Have fun, OP! I see people out there and plan on one day doing the same. I don't know where you can go in White Rock...I watch people off the banks of the Fraser where there are plenty of launch spots. But the river is unforgiving at times and very deceptive...so care and caution are definitely required.

With that, if someone is just getting acquainted with things, best to test the waters first and you're right to suggest doing so. And fear is actually not a bad thing to consider in the ever changing waters to someone not as experienced as you are.

I dont know about that. The very first time I ever sat in a kayak was the first morning of a 10 day unguided ocean kayaking trip through the broken Islands on the West coast of Vancouver island with another complete rookie. It rained a lot but was a fantastic trip. The learning curve in a ocean kayak is minimal. A kid can get the hang of it in a few minutes. Eskimo rolls and self rescues are more involved but as long as the water temp wont kill you its all pretty straight forward. I did fail pretty badly at wave surfing the kayak though.

P.S. The broken Islands are amazing. Part of Pacific Rim National Park. You have to take a supply ferry (no cars) from Ucluelet so its a bit of a trek just to get there but its remoteness is one of its attractions. Much like the West Coast Trail there is a lot of First Nations heritage in the area to be respectful of.

I dont know about that. The very first time I ever sat in a kayak was the first morning of a 10 day unguided ocean kayaking trip through the broken Islands on the West coast of Vancouver island with another complete rookie. It rained a lot but was a fantastic trip. The learning curve in a ocean kayak is minimal. A kid can get the hang of it in a few minutes. Eskimo rolls and self rescues are more involved but as long as the water temp wont kill you its all pretty straight forward. I did fail pretty badly at wave surfing the kayak though.

P.S. The broken Islands are amazing. Part of Pacific Rim National Park. You have to take a supply ferry (no cars) from Ucluelet so its a bit of a trek just to get there but its remoteness is one of its attractions. Much like the West Coast Trail there is a lot of First Nations heritage in the area to be respectful of.

My brother and I righted an overturned kayaker at ocean bean, San Francisco. He was caught in the shore break. Fortunately we had just come out of the surf near him and still in our wetsuits. When we flipped him he puked his guts out.

The guy nearly drowned in chest deep water. Respect the ocean and know your limits.

I've been involved in more than one of these situations in the ocean.

Challenging yourself should be in sequence with learning things (first) because any water sport involves risk. Others can't set the bar in that and to suggest that it's somehow not ok to be cautious is wrong. We were all "learners" once and pacing yourself is important. You've been paddling "since you can remember" but you learned once, too and this person isn't at the level you're at.

So best to be cautious, as is the indication here. When people are challenged, it should be determined by their own comfort zone, NOT someone else's.

Have fun, OP! I see people out there and plan on one day doing the same. I don't know where you can go in White Rock...I watch people off the banks of the Fraser where there are plenty of launch spots. But the river is unforgiving at times and very deceptive...so care and caution are definitely required.

I was simply encouraging the OP to learn how to use a kayak like an actual kayak and not some inflatable pool toy. It does require effort, but the freedom you can find by learning how to safely and effectively use a boat is far more rewarding than looking for easy outs (or ins in this case)

Jeez, you're such a Mom, Deb. A sweet and caring Mom, but sometimes a good Mom has to tell her kids to quit being lazy and go work for it.

I was simply encouraging the OP to learn how to use a kayak like an actual kayak and not some inflatable pool toy. It does require effort, but the freedom you can find by learning how to safely and effectively use a boat is far more rewarding than looking for easy outs (or ins in this case)

Jeez, you're such a Mom, Deb. A sweet and caring Mom, but sometimes a good Mom has to tell her kids to quit being lazy and go work for it.

kids/young adults/everyone needs to read the book: Nansen, written by Roland Huntford

Just checked it out on goodreads, sounds awesome, thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a read.

One of the best non fiction books I've read...I had the time (on a sailboat) to read it and couldn't put it down.....

One of the points I took from it is related to your posts...and that is what "we" are capable of if we try - take educated/calculated risks and sometimes risks in general. People didn't live long back in Nansens time. What and how much he accomplished solo and as a leader of men at a very young age is amazing.

Also check out "two years before the mast"....also non fiction.

that sounds awesome

I haven't touched a kayak since I was a kid but, every time I see one around False Creek or Granville Island, I want to try it again

OK, you're right. (Now go clean your room) ;)

And this thread makes me want to kayak.

Archived