The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Want to cancel cable - Canucks games too important

Caniners77

I'm finding like many of you I'm sure. That with Netflix and Apple TV cable is becoming a thing of the past. However, Us Sports fans seem to be stuck. I've been able to get the nfl Sunday ticket online through my IPAD to watch all of my beloved 49ers games (save it, I know ). If I could find a way to get Canucks games online or through Netflix I could save $80 a month. I'm looking for help to do this. Does anyone know of any pay per view or ways to get Canucks games online rather than paying for cable ?

I called my carrier to cancel cable with the honest desire to cancel just to save $100 per month. Instead of cancelling, he let me keep a scaled down cable (I could keep the only channel I cares about, sports, plus some others) and save that $100. He said he would rather let me have it basically free than make room for a competitor to come in and then go on and steal the phone and internet as well.

Made my day.

Go check into HD rabbit ears, Google TV, Chrome Cast and such. HD Rabbit ears in an urban center you can still pick up essential channels including some sports channels. And google tv apple tv chrome cast etc you may see a lag in the broadcast time but can watch tv just the same.

Initial investment between hd rabbit ears and one of those internet tv options is about $200-$250 but the savings are realized by the 3rd month

With nhl game centre live I won't miss a Canucks game ?

Sorry, I just read the FAQ, and they blackout local broadcast games. Which means you can't use it to watch Canucks. It's the only thing I could think of.

EDIT: So, I found this article which I think sums it up pretty good, as I thought this class action lawsuit against the NHL had helped in-market fans, but I was totally wrong, so unless you're a non-BC resident, then I think you're stuck with cable...

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/6/15/8783249/nhl-tv-settlement-settlement-game-center-live

I was under the impression that you could buy these single team packages and still watch your team when you lived "in market", but it doesn't sound like that. It's still really only for out-of-market consumers and they'll still blackout in-market games.

Cable TV is becoming a thing of the bast but still have control of the NHL for some reason? They are living in the past on this one and I hope they step up to 2015 soon? I myself would rather be paying the NHL for the games but am not willing to pay for cable TV so I give my money to a European third party that is more then willing to broadcast all NHL games with playoffs to me without blackouts. When the NHL gives me another option I'll be happy to transfer my credit card info to them. There are other options out there, look around google it and read reviews before you sign up for anything.

Sorry, I just read the FAQ, and they blackout local broadcast games. Which means you can't use it to watch Canucks. It's the only thing I could think of.

Not in BC/Yukon ;)

https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/blackouts#bc-yukon

I believe this is a by-product of Rogers buying GCL. Because Rogers Sportsnet is the main broadcaster of Canucks games, there shouldn't be any blackouts.

OP: If you have Apple TV, NHL Gamecentre Live is actually compatible (but not on Chromcast AFAIK), so this might be a really good option for you. I would wait until right before the season starts because Rogers might make some last minute blackout changes or something dumb like that, but as of now no blackouts are planned for Canucks games.

Not in BC/Yukon ;)

https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/blackouts#bc-yukon

I believe this is a by-product of Rogers buying GCL. Because Rogers Sportsnet is the main broadcaster of Canucks games, there shouldn't be any blackouts.

OP: If you have Apple TV, NHL Gamecentre Live is actually compatible (but not on Chromcast AFAIK), so this might be a really good option for you. I would wait until right before the season starts because Rogers might make some last minute blackout changes or something dumb like that, but as of now no blackouts are planned for Canucks games.

this is very cool! Last year this was not the case.

may cancel my cable now.

but it feel like there is a catch ?

I called my carrier to cancel cable with the honest desire to cancel just to save $100 per month. Instead of cancelling, he let me keep a scaled down cable (I could keep the only channel I cares about, sports, plus some others) and save that $100. He said he would rather let me have it basically free than make room for a competitor to come in and then go on and steal the phone and internet as well.

Made my day.

In a similar situation with Bell. Thanks for the tip, will definitely try this. The only major competitor for TV/Interwebz/Home Phone in my area is Rogers. Might not work for us though as the Home Phone is becoming irrelevant. Rogers is big enough to pose a legitimate threat so hopefully Bell bites. Theres also cheaper no name brands that can't be completely terrible either.

I got so sick of all the dumb shows on tv that cancelled my cable last year, All I really watch is sports so I thought the NHL Gamecentre may be a viable option but their are too many blackouts so I never did subscribe.

Hockey Night in Canada streams games online so you can get free games on Saturdays, other than that, I spent a lot of time going to friends houses to watch games.

There is supposed to be within the year, an option to have a more selective cable/satellite tv capability but nothing ever pans out as promised so the bottom line is that there are currently no other good options. I'm getting my cable back so I can comfortably stay home and watch the games.

Cable is a thing of the past. I had a 100 dollar cable bill every month. The only thing I've watched in the last few years is The Walking Dead and Sports. Got rid of cable last month and found a great little streaming sports site that carries everything. Pre season NFL all the MLB games live. I could kick myself for all the money I've wasted for so long.

In a similar situation with Bell. Thanks for the tip, will definitely try this. The only major competitor for TV/Interwebz/Home Phone in my area is Rogers. Might not work for us though as the Home Phone is becoming irrelevant. Rogers is big enough to pose a legitimate threat so hopefully Bell bites. Theres also cheaper no name brands that can't be completely terrible either.

Thing is, I didn't threaten anything. I just told him straight up to cancel. So the risk is there to end up with nothing anyways.

Get a android TV box with kodi,I have a program that gives you all the live streams free. Plus I have an NHL app and I can watch any of the games in archives.

There are two separate retailers at the PNE marketplace building selling these. One of them was over $300 and another one was under $200. He claims you can get hockey games and PPV's (UFC, WWE) on them. There are also live tv channels you can get like GlobalTV. Basically, whatever is on the internet, you can get.

Archived