The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Let it begin: Lucic's time in LA could be short.

Ilya Mikheyev

Had Milan Lucic been traded to a team other than the Kings, the ex-Bruin could already have his next contract in place. The 27-year-old left wing, with full health, a primary role, and motivation on his side, is in line to have a good season. An extension now would cost less than a new deal next offseason. But LA’s first priority is re-upping Anze Kopitar, who will also be unrestricted on July 1. And that will be a complicated transaction. Had business proceeded normally, Kopitar would have signed an extension comparable to Jonathan Toews’s eight-year, $84 million blockbuster. Kopitar is LA’s version of Toews. But within the context of a slow-to-rise cap, Toews’s deal is inflationary. As much as they need Kopitar back, the Kings have to be conservative. Tanner Pearson and Tyler Toffoli will be restricted after 2016-17. In that context, Lucic is a secondary priority for the Kings. He may even be a short-term acquisition in the Kings’ push to return to the playoffs.

- Boston Globe, Sunday Hockey Notes

Re-signing Kopitar could cost the Kings around $10-million annually, taking a significant bite out of their remaining cap space. Lucic could cost another $7 million per season. Even if the Kings can afford to re-sign both, Shinzawa notes they must leave sufficient cap room to re-sign wingers Tanner Pearson and Tyler Toffoli, who are restricted free agents in 2017.

Unless the Kings shed salary elsewhere, it’s unlikely they can afford long-term deals for Kopitar and Lucic, making the latter potentially expendable at season’s end. If the Kings are out of playoff contention by February, they could peddle Lucic by the trade deadline.

- The Hockey News

Update:

Kings' Lucic can see himself playing for Canucks

Los Angeles Kings forward Milan Lucic, entering the final year of his contract, said Monday he's always dreamed of playing for his hometown Vancouver Canucks.

"I honestly don't know what's going to happen moving on," Lucic told TSN 1410 Radio in response to a direct question on the topic. "I mean I have one year left on my contract, and there's a possibility that I can hit the [unrestricted free agent] market. ...

"It's obviously something that's been a dream of mine since I've been a kid, is to play in your hometown and play for the Canucks, but right now the main focus is going down to L.A. and trying to make the most of that."

- NHL.com

$6.5-$7 x 7 next summer. Get it done Benning.

Seriously you would give Lucic 6.5m - 7m for 7 years? Holy frack, and people complain about Sbisa's contract.

That's a disgusting overpayment for a second line winger that's already showing some signs of decline. I mean he didn't even score 20 last year.

I'll be seriously pissed if we sign this guy for anything over 5m with that kind of term.

Seriously you would give Lucic 6.5m - 7m for 7 years? Holy frack, and people complain about Sbisa's contract.

That's a disgusting overpayment for a second line winger that's already showing some signs of decline. I mean he didn't even score 20 last year.

I'll be seriously pissed if we sign this guy for anything over 5m with that kind of term.

Bolded because Krejci was out for half the year almost. When Lucic is Lucic $6M for him would be more than a fair deal.

Bolded because Krejci was out for half the year almost. When Lucic is Lucic $6M for him would be more than a fair deal.

Like LarsEller said, he's already showing signs of decline. You're probably right that he's gonna fetch a big deal but it doesn't mean it's a good one. I have a feeling whoever lands him is gonna absolutely hate his contract for the last couple years. Like really hate it.

The more I think about it, the less I want Lucic.

Been saying this for months. We don't NEED Lucic. We have plenty of size, physicality, grit and attitude coming up in our prospect pool for far cheaper and on the right side of 25.

I wouldn't want him for anything over $6m and preferably closer to $5m.

Been saying this for months. We don't NEED Lucic. We have plenty of size, physicality, grit and attitude coming up in our prospect pool for far cheaper and on the right side of 25.

It's not so much the cap hit that worries me as we'll have some cap relief very soon, it's the thought of getting him locked up long term and watching him decline that scares me.

It's not so much the cap hit that worries me as we'll have some cap relief very soon, it's the thought of getting him locked up long term and watching him decline that scares me.

Well exactly. I don't want us paying $7m+ for a beat up 3rd liner in a few years. That money can be far better spent elsewhere. Like say OUR DEFENSE.

I agree, although he could be insanely effective playing with the Sedins.

Especially being that net front presence on the PP.

Well exactly. I don't want us paying $7m+ for a beat up 3rd liner in a few years. That money can be far better spent elsewhere. Like say OUR DEFENSE.

Yep. I'd much rather us blow a huge amount of money going for a guy like Seabrook than Lucic. Spending 7*7 on Lucic is roughly a 3.5-4m overpayment for the last 3-4 years. I'd much rather overpay Seabrook by 2-3m per year. Like even if it's 9m*7y I'd do it in the heart beat if the alternative is Lucic at 7*7.

the canucks have plenty of physicality and toughness, sure, but not like lucic.

firstly, the guy brings size, strength, physicality, toughness and intimidation to the top 6, which the canucks have none of presently.

secondly, and more importantly, with a guy like lucic on the team, everybody else's balls grow 3 sizes instantly.

Archived