The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rogers arena is too quiet during canucks game

WalkWithElias

I can't speak at all what its like to be there recently having moved to the Ottawa area six years ago...but I can tell you that I have been to all the Van-Sens games since and the go Canucks go chants exist there every game, with about 30%blue sweaters to 70% red and it encites a back and forth between the fan groups which is nice to see. Sad to hear that things are quiet, but noticed this even on the TV the last couple years. I suggest whomever is reading this and goes to games makes tries to make more noise next time and just don't let up - our team needs fan support like this - in our building cheering them on.

Rogers Arena is too corporate, lots of little kids and the lower bowl prices any hardcore fans out. Game 7 of 2011 was lame, perhaps the poorest showing of fan support ever, and it has something to do with the fact prices to go were through the roof. Only rich douchebags, which Vancouver has plenty of, can afford to go.

Even Bieksa stated that their home ice advantage was low, especially when jets or habs fans cheer louder than the home crowd when they arrive in town.

Yah - you should see how bad it is in Toronto. One third of the lower bowl is empty (the tickets are sold but the people that buy them don't go), a third won't stop looking at their devices, and the other third do what you would expect. These entitled TO fans walk by 50,000 real fans who cant afford tickets to a sold out game (season) watch their horrible on ice product lose on the giant jumbotron just outside. I totally agree with the douchebaggery of every single fan involved in the post 2011 crap and perhaps it has something to do with this. I'd like some numbers guy figure out the costs advantage of that metric.

In the games I've gone to. I've had lots of fun, and seen very loud crowds.......in the upper bowl. I've only been in the lower bowl twice, once in regular season, and once in the playoffs against Anaheim.

When I was watching the playoff game. The family to my right the kids wanted to cheer, but the Mom sort of shushed them.

Behind and to my left were 3 guys and between the four of us we were the only ones cheering the team on. Two real estate agents sat behind me. They didn't arrive until the end of the first period. And they both talked about the Vancouver real estate market the whole time.

In front of me were two very beautiful women who spent what seemed to be half the game running back and forth between their seats and taking pictures of themselves at Rogers Arena. I was shocked in a playoff game how many people seemed to have their own agenda, and not caring about what was happening on the ice.

When I watch games in the upper bowl. The crowd is engaged, loud, and what I would call more traditional hockey fans.

The corporate mentality of the lower bowl, I think is was kills the atmosphere at the Rink.

Compare this to Whitecaps FC, and the Southsiders. Completely different.

There is a time and place for extra cheering. This arena is a bit passive even when provoked in the right spots.

A few years back before the epic Playoff series, I was at a Nashville reg season game, down 3-2, approx 2-3 minutes left, face off time. I try to start a go canucks go.

Doesn't fly. I wind up being the only guy standing up and yelling. And I went for a full 30 seconds or more.

Ask any European soccer fan a chant for their team, they'll have a bunch. Not saying we have to hooligan it up a few games to ignite some energy, but the only thing we have is the "woooo" after a goal.

Sometimes the energy in the building is what feeds the players. They have their own agenda and drive, but you can't measure the intangibles. A collective will of the fans will be passed onto the players. They will feel it.

Not in our arena though. The ushers make sure of that.

I'm at the arena 90% of the games a year, and i find that we need to be louder , i would start up a go canucks go chant and it would die down in 15 seconds , i sat lower bowl for 1 game chanting that , and i had some person thinking i was crazy , we have to make this the toughest building to play in again , the players feed of us too, so the louder it is , the more pumped they will be

I find that there is ALWAYS a correlation between the quality of the game on the ice, and the excitement level of the fans. The very idea that people need to be more this or that at a hockey game is ridiculous. We pay good money to go see the games, we WANT to get excited, we paid to get excited. Fans react to what they see, especially in a market like this.

Probably the only best thing in European Hockey is the fanbase. Always here to make some noise, cheers, etc... And the spectacle isn't so good at times. I'll be even more excited if players like <higgins or Vey were playing every night.

Difference of referencial and of culture. There is no "stand-up" places in NHL-Arenas (cheaper) , were usually utras fans are singing all game long.

There is a lot of artificial noise that allows the fans not to cheer...for example - load music and air horns.

When there is an opportunity to cheer the music is immediately turned loud and the arena air horns are going off...I guess management is scared that the fans will not cheer loud and support the team when the team scores.

If you ever played in a small town arena that is packed to the rafter with fans, where the music system is non-existent and the air horns and the cow bells are being held by the fans...the feet are stomping on the wood floors and the arena glass is shaking and moving because of the fans moving it, then you have to agree the atmosphere in Roger's arena is somewhat artificial.

Metal detectors,

Ban cellphones,

Current, non-caring fans flee,

Ticket price goes down,

Real fans show up again,

Beer sales go up,

The barn explodes with noise.

And get that drunk planner out the door. That dude looks bad.

With such high ticket prices, the Canucks have marginalized 90% of it's real fans, who can barely make ends meet in a city that is considered one of the most expensive cities to live in.

Here's a thought: give a free game or two a year to people who cannot afford it.

Philanthropy Mr. Linden. Philanthropy.

then again...it depends on the game at Rogers arena and the old Coliseum...

Matt Cooke scoring with 5 seconds left in game 7 (2004) to tie the game against the Flames

Momesso scored in OT vs the Stars in Game 3 (1994):

Canucks scoring in OT against the Flames in Game 6 (1994);

Bure scoring in Game 3 against the Maple Leafs (1994);

Burrows scoring in Game 7 against Chicago (2011)...

...it was FAN load.

I agree with the posters that are focussed on the game....Fans are loud during times when a good play, fight, etc. happens

It is hard to stay focussed on the game when you are always cheering...I find when I'm in a box seat and talking with others in the box, my focus is taken away from the game...that's why I like to go to the games alone.

Sometimes the energy in the building is what feeds the players. They have their own agenda and drive, but you can't measure the intangibles. A collective will of the fans will be passed onto the players. They will feel it.

Not in our arena though. The ushers make sure of that.

I find that there is ALWAYS a correlation between the quality of the game on the ice, and the excitement level of the fans. The very idea that people need to be more this or that at a hockey game is ridiculous. We pay good money to go see the games, we WANT to get excited, we paid to get excited. Fans react to what they see, especially in a market like this.

This is part of the problem, not the solution.

The idea is not ridiculous...the idea that you only show support for your team if they earn it or are "up" is to me. I support them when they're up/down/whatever and it can affect things. If the crowd rallies when they're down it can help them to feed off it...get some extra energy. For crying out loud, even tennis fans do and if you think it doesn't make a difference, you're wrong.

You pay good money so why not have fun? Why only invest energy "if"? I tend to make the most of it and that stuff's contagious.

I understand that everyone likes to experience the game their own way, but don't call out those who don't share your idea. A market like this cheered (the Vancouver Canucks) this team on through some rough days where there wasn't much to cheer about....so, for some of us, the product we see out there now very much is worth cheering for. Unless you want perfection. Some of the new fans are only it for the win but they really don't understand how bad it can get/be. Personally, I've been having a blast watching this team over the recent past and they're given all of us plenty of reason to cheer. When the Sedins are gone you may look back in hindsight and go "gee, they were incredible". Some just cheer for the obvious, surface value events (big hits, saves, goals). Cheer for a dazzling shift, hard worked pk, etc. and there's plenty to cheer about.

This topic, along with the debate on the Canucks logo/jersey never fails to make an appearance once every three months. Old and tired topics that never seem to die and go away, so it must have some topical value.

Hockey is a great live fan experience...fans should watch it the way they want. If you want to cheer your @$$ off and be loud, do so to your heart's content...if you want to watch the game like a scout would or watch it from a cerebral perspective, do so to your heart's content as well.

It would be great if Rogers Arena had United Center vibe, or even a Le Centre Bell vibe, but it doesn't. Hockey fans in Vancouver/lower mainland/BC represent a microcosm of the local society. For the most part, lower mainlanders are into themselves, and keep to themselves (unless you're a Howe Street whore pitching a useless penny stock). Canucks fans for the most part possess these traits (obviously there are some exceptions).

I've had the good fortune of watching games in lots of NHL buildings, and I will say this about Vancouver hockey fans -- they know their hockey and are sophisticated hockey fans, but by nature, most of such fans are not the loud/boisterous type. This is rooted in sitting in rinks watching and analyzing our kids play and practice 3-4 times a week. Couple this with a higher than average Asian fan base (and by nature, Asians are known to be reserved) compared to other hockey markets, and we have the makings of a relatively quiet arena.

What will make the Rogers Arena an intimidating place to play is an intimidating team on the ice. Obviously, you can intimidate the opposing team by different means, and hopefully the smurfs on the Canucks (Canucks will be icing the smallest team in the league this season) will be able to intimidate the rest of the league with speed and skill this coming season. If the Canucks do this on a regular basis, the Rog will be a tough place for visiting teams...players commenting on the crowd giving them motivation/energy are doing nothing more than patronizing the fans (in a good kind of way) and are doing so as a passing comment ("yeah, the fans gave us energy" is held on as golden words by certain fans, when really, it's nothing more than a passing comment), because if any pro hockey player needs a little juice from the fans to elevate their game, he not need to be here.

For the most part, lower mainlanders are into themselves, and keep to themselves (unless you're a Howe Street whore pitching a useless penny stock). Canucks fans for the most part possess these traits (obviously there are some exceptions).
and hopefully the smurfs on the Canucks
held on as golden words by certain fans

Was going to mostly agree with and commend you on a great comment and perspective, but a few things stuck out in a holier than thou way/know it all way.
Certain fans tend to know, from experience, how a building can factor in. Been to a Lions game? When it's a close game and we're on defense? Tell me it doesn't matter then? (It does) Not that a team should need or rely on it, but don't tell me it doesn't matter...it can. Players can feed off it...maybe they do/don't, but a dead building isn't very inspiring for sure.
And calling the Canucks smurfs really isn't necessary. I do like how you've gone on to explain the skill/speed game, but your point gets lost with this crap, which is unnecessary.
The fans often are being stifled by rules and staff who discourage vs encourage participation..that's an issue. So I'm not yet convinced that you have it all figured out but appreciate your well thought out comment despite that.

That's a very ignorant statement.

Sure if you were to ask me if I wanted to pay more than a 150$ for a night out to watch the predators, of course I'd rather have a few friends over to watch the game or go to the bar.

Go to the right game, and it's an incredible experience. The first game the Bruins played at Rogers Arena wince winning the cup? Incredible.

I just can't justify paying over 60 bucks to go watch a hockey game. It's not worth it to me.

I live in Winnipeg, and unless I get a free ticket from someone, I have no desire to go watch the Jets, even when the Jets play the Canucks. I'm ecstatic that the Moose are back, because now I can actually go watch a game without having to pay an arm and a leg.

This is part of the problem, not the solution.

The idea is not ridiculous...the idea that you only show support for your team if they earn it or are "up" is to me. I support them when they're up/down/whatever and it can affect things. If the crowd rallies when they're down it can help them to feed off it...get some extra energy. For crying out loud, even tennis fans do and if you think it doesn't make a difference, you're wrong.

You pay good money so why not have fun? Why only invest energy "if"? I tend to make the most of it and that stuff's contagious.

I understand that everyone likes to experience the game their own way, but don't call out those who don't share your idea. A market like this cheered (the Vancouver Canucks) this team on through some rough days where there wasn't much to cheer about....so, for some of us, the product we see out there now very much is worth cheering for. Unless you want perfection. Some of the new fans are only it for the win but they really don't understand how bad it can get/be. Personally, I've been having a blast watching this team over the recent past and they're given all of us plenty of reason to cheer. When the Sedins are gone you may look back in hindsight and go "gee, they were incredible". Some just cheer for the obvious, surface value events (big hits, saves, goals). Cheer for a dazzling shift, hard worked pk, etc. and there's plenty to cheer about.

To me this is kind of where the discussion gets bogged down in back and forth. Not everyone has the same definition of fun. The loud fan has fun their way, others have just as much fun sitting there quietly taking in the experience. There is no right or wrong way to be a fan. I don't think you've ever used the term, but as soon as someone starts with the "real fan" argument I generally just shake my head. Paying money to go and buy stuff is just as "supportive" to the team as going and yelling your head off in a drunken stupor (responding generally, not to your post).

Like some here, I also paid money to see the Canucks underperform in the 70s. Cheap seats and beer were part of the package but let's not kid ourselves, there were a lot of quiet games then too.

Most (all?) games I've been to have been loud when the team gives them reason to be. And yes, I am paying a huge amount of money to be entertained by millionaires. It IS up to them to provide the entertainment. These aren't kids playing in the local rink that need mommy and daddy to support them no matter how they play.

this need more players like this that actaully bring excitement! Look at the Winnipeg Jets team and look at how loud their fans are and look at their overall team. All I'm saying is, after 2011's run the fans can't cheer at the same intensity, let's be honest because other than the Sedins there is not much excitement on this roster. Horvat did bring fans out of their seats last year and that was all, but fan's want more of that, and I don't know if Sutter or Prust will make the fans louder this year.

Oh yeah Kassain also brought some excitement to fans but he's gone too.

Horvat

Baertschi

Kenins

Virtanen

McCann

Boeser

Jensen

Shinkaruk

Nobody cares about hockey in the States yet some of their teams fans blow Canuck fans out of the water, which is inexcusable. Maybe there are too many suits at games due to living costs in Vancity, maybe too many people smoke weed before games. I don't know what it is. Even small things like clearing the puck on a pk gets cheered in other places and a good pk is barely acknowledged around here.

I do agree though that the product has been boring since 2012. That doesn't help.

Archived