The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chasing the Calder

grail2011

If McJesus is on the Edmonton roster and Eichel on the Buffalo roster the word Calder should into factor in to things related to the Canucks.

Regardless of how well any other rookie on any other team does at their position without pure point totals, these two will be the only two names in the Calder talk

Plenty of youth: Horvat, Vey, Kenins, Baertschi, Corrado

True rookies: Virtanen (but he hasn't made the team yet)

re: Virtanen and his good summer. I heard him interviewed yesterday and he says that he's worked hard over the summer and has gone from 228 in the spring to 212-215 now. So far, so good.

Yeah Virtanen is the only true rookie that could make the team. But no chance of the Calder. He will be playing probably a third of the ice-time of guys like McDavid or Eichle. To win a Calder you need to be a great player, but where you play is a big part of it too.

Jake would have to be with the Sedins all year...if that happened it may be close, Jake would be bound to get over 20 goals maybe over 25 and 20-25 assists with plenty of hits...probably not enough to keep up, but you never know.

If we stuck the Sedins with the job of carrying him and gave him first line PP time with them he might get 50.

Only calder the canucks will be in the running for is a calder cup for utica

That's what I thought this was going to be about. We aren't very likely to have anyone in the Calder Trophy running, maybe we get someone in the top 10 for rookie scoring.

If McJesus is on the Edmonton roster and Eichel on the Buffalo roster the word Calder should into factor in to things related to the Canucks.

Regardless of how well any other rookie on any other team does at their position without pure point totals, these two will be the only two names in the Calder talk

The only rookie I could see in our lineup challenging would be Shinkaruk if all the stars alligned. Hes older, hes faster, hes stronger and well more developed. But when it comes to calder winning often the younger player wins unless there is a huge gap in numbers. It would take a whilrwind of a performance to steal it from McDavid or Echiel. 2 Players i think will likely lead but I dont think we should count out Sam Reinhart. If he meets qualification he could easily surpass both McDavid and Echiel.

Maybe Jake could contend but I think he will see a steady but gradual increase of his performance over the year.

Why couldn't Baertschi, Horvat, Virtanen, or Shinkaruk contend? No guarantee McDavid, Eichel or Bennett get it. McDavid needs to realize he's playing in the NHL now and in the West. I'm not underrating him, but sorry kid, your no Crosby.

Baertschi and Horvat are not rookies, so they can't contend for the trophy that is awarded to the best rookie.

Archived