The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

Just now, RRypien37 said:

What sector, price range do you trade at?

I assume this question is referring to equities? Back in the day 1998-2014 I'd trade anything with volume, regardless of price. 50 cents to $500.

These days I am more focused on futures (both commodity and index) and foreign exchange. Still dabble in stocks when there's something to do. Mainly shorting trash. Just don't enjoy fighting algos for liquidity.

What's your bag?

19 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I assume this question is referring to equities? Back in the day 1998-2014 I'd trade anything with volume, regardless of price. 50 cents to $500.

These days I am more focused on futures (both commodity and index) and foreign exchange. Still dabble in stocks when there's something to do. Mainly shorting trash. Just don't enjoy fighting algos for liquidity.

What's your bag?

Micro and small cap. Usually in the $1-$18 range. Basically a few chart patterns with earnings, news and patent approval being the catalysts in any major moves. I feel comfortable going into it because I know right off the bat that 99% of what I am trading is heavy manipulated so there are no real surprises. 

Commodities and Forex are for the big boys. I've only been at it a few years and still consider myself a big rookie so I'll stick with my niche for now. 

Do you do this full time or just on the side? 

6 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Micro and small cap. Usually in the $1-$18 range. Basically a few chart patterns with earnings, news and patent approval being the catalysts in any major moves. I feel comfortable going into it because I know right off the bat that 99% of what I am trading is heavy manipulated so there are no real surprises. 

Commodities and Forex are for the big boys. I've only been at it a few years and still consider myself a big rookie so I'll stick with my niche for now. 

Do you do this full time or just on the side? 

If you don't mind my asking. Are you using a DMA platform? What kind of tools are you using (scanners, news feeds, etc)

Best thing you can do is find a niche and go with it. Specializing in a few areas is better than trying to do everything.

I do it full time time.

7 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

If you don't mind my asking. Are you using a DMA platform? What kind of tools are you using (scanners, news feeds, etc)

Best thing you can do is find a niche and go with it. Specializing in a few areas is better than trying to do everything.

I do it full time time.

Yup need live platform. Level 2 is critical for the trades I am making. I use basically any and everything I can. The main tools on the platform of course (RSI, MACD ect), 2 scanners and news feeds/twitter. The more info/tools/resources you have, the better.

I went into it blindly full time at first, got destroyed and came back at a slower pace but in the long run want to get back into it full time. The discipline and mental strength have been the hardest aspects to conquer. So many ups and downs throughout the day...

Edited by RRypien37

It's imperative having the proper tools. Although I don't make much use of TWTR it's amazing what a useful resource it can be. Maybe I'll give it a go again. I got some empty screen space looking to be filled.

Yeah I went in to it blindly myself way back when. Made lots, lost lots, learned lots. Then slowly finally figured it out.

Good luck and keep grinding.

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's imperative having the proper tools. Although I don't make much use of TWTR it's amazing what a useful resource it can be. Maybe I'll give it a go again. I got some empty screen space looking to be filled.

Yeah I went in to it blindly myself way back when. Made lots, lost lots, learned lots. Then slowly finally figured it out.

Good luck and keep grinding.

Same to you. 

• 1 month later...

whats yer guys thoughts on this one?:

http://business.financialpost.com/investing/marijuana-etf-the-most-scrutinized-fund-that-weve-ever-launched-horizons-ceo-says

Canadians will be able to invest in a basket of marijuana companies when the first marijuana exchange-traded fund launches next week, helping investors diversify their exposure to the volatile and frothy sector. 

The Horizons Medical Marijuana Life Sciences ETF (TSX: HMMJ) is slated to begin trading Tuesday on the Toronto Stock Exchange. It will include 11 Canadian-listed stocks and four listed in the United States.

2 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

http://business.financialpost.com/investing/marijuana-etf-the-most-scrutinized-fund-that-weve-ever-launched-horizons-ceo-says

Canadians will be able to invest in a basket of marijuana companies when the first marijuana exchange-traded fund launches next week, helping investors diversify their exposure to the volatile and frothy sector. 

The Horizons Medical Marijuana Life Sciences ETF (TSX: HMMJ) is slated to begin trading Tuesday on the Toronto Stock Exchange. It will include 11 Canadian-listed stocks and four listed in the United States.

Emerging industry, so it helps alleviate some risks.  Lots of "marijuana" companies listed out there that probably has zero revenue, no licensing, etc.

• Upvote 1

I would be down for this.

Probably a safer bet until you see which companies actually prosper following legalization.

However, I have put a small about of money into Canopy, Aphria and Aurora.

• Upvote 1

On 2/15/2017 at 4:41 PM, Hobble said:

I am a graduate student, that has a peaking interesting in financial investments.

I currently have some money in an account with a financial advisor, which I plan to develop, but I am considering to play around with a couple grand on my own for mid-long term investments.

Does anyone recommend a good online trader resource? Or do those all require a large initial deposit?

I wouldn't say I "got into financial investment", but I started as a grad student as well. I went to CIBC and got a line of credit under their lifelong learning program.

Some rookie mistakes I made included not considering the impact of the US/CDN $ when investing in US stocks. Frustrating to watch a stock go up but not actually make any money yourself. I now only invest in CDN stocks because I am a complete amateur and want fewer variables to process (and by amateur I don't mean that I do not just mean that I do not do this professionally, I mean that I am not very good at it).

Not panicking/getting too excited is definitely an obstacle that I needed to overcome when I started. I had an investment in Gold Standard Ventures and as soon as I started to see an increase I sold.... I think the stock grew another 20% in the month that I sold.

On the other hand, I lost almost a third of my investment in DDC... but instead of getting scared and selling off I did a bit of research and decided to hold on. The stock rose from $11.19 to $17.30 this month. 

On 2/17/2017 at 10:19 AM, Lancaster said:

Just keep in mind that financial advisors need to make a living too.  

It is kind of unsettling to walk into a FA office and they have plaques acknowledging the amount of in-house mutual funds they have sold. Makes you wonder to what extent the incentives for reaching certain quotas exceeds their incentive to do a good job with your money.

Edited by Down by the River

7 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Some rookie mistakes I made included not considering the impact of the US/CDN $ when investing in US stocks. Frustrating to watch a stock go up but not actually make any money yourself.

If that's a concern you can hedge your currency risk to zero.

Meteoric rise of Tesla in recent weeks.

I was only able to afford one share back when it was $255, but now it's up to 290+.

Anyone foresee a dip or a continued rise? I'm interested in buying more shares, but the new highs are making me a little cautious for a fall.

Made a killing investing in HBM in 2006.  Gradually pissed away almost all the profits. My stock investment money has been sitting pretty much dormant for quite awhile now  for fear of going in the red. Anybody got a safe, easy place for it to sit while making ....oh maybe....3% minimum. I use BMO Investorline.

Edited by clam linguine

have any of you used a trading simulator/game to create a virtual portfolio?

im just learning about investing and trading and so ive decided to learn the ropes using a simulator and see how i do.. so i dont mess up with my real money(yet).

any sims you might recommend?

im just learning about investing and trading and so ive decided to learn the ropes using a simulator and see how i do.. so i dont mess up with my real money(yet).

Paper trading is nothing like trading with actual money. The emotions of real wins and losses changes everything. Trading is 80% emotion. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

I used Questrade. You get a 30 day trial with over a million "dollars" haha.

I eventually created an account with to use with real money.

• Upvote 1