The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

On 3/3/2018 at 7:15 PM, AK_19 said:

After selling off my marijuana stocks near the end of last year, I've invested pretty heavily into cryptocurrency mining firms (BLOK, HIVE, DASH). Although they haven't done too well with the dip in the cryptocurrency price, I suspect the stocks will pick up as those prices do as well. Now may well be a good time to pick them up while they're cheap.

Ever since I got into DASH, it's fallen consistently :lol: Glad it was only $300

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Ever since I got into DASH, it's fallen consistently :lol: Glad it was only $300

Yeah unfortunately the crypto market hasn't picked up but I still think they are grossly undervalued. I think crypto mining is still such a new industry that institutional investors are on the wait and see (not unlike marijuana a couple years back). BLOK is the one I'm most hopeful for as their projected earnings/profit ratio to market cap is amazing. 

On 2/28/2018 at 9:58 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

Looking for suggestions for industries you guys/gals think have potential to grow. 

I'm diversified throughout cannabis, forestry, ETFs and holding companies. But I'm holding some cash, and don't want to just keep pumping it into cannabis or into my ETF as I want to 'gamble' it (it's a small amount, under 1k) on an industry I'm not in.

I'm not saying I'm going to blindly follow your suggestions, I like to do a lot of my own research, but just looking for opinions on industries. I know gold is quite volatile, but that long term it's value should always go up, no? 

You want growth? Silver is a better buy than gold. Silver douibling in price is $44 CAD. Gold doubling in price is a new all time high at $4000.

4 minutes ago, mdehaan said:

You want growth? Silver is a better buy than gold. Silver douibling in price is $44 CAD. Gold doubling in price is a new all time high at $4000.

Zinc has almost doubled but the key metal for the future is copper.   It IS essential to whatever path society takes - electric cars, homes, turbines, etc. etc. all need copper.

Pick this book up on Amazon or find it in a library:

24139169.jpg

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Zinc has almost doubled but the key metal for the future is copper.   It IS essential to whatever path society takes - electric cars, homes, turbines, etc. etc. all need copper.

Pick this book up on Amazon or find it in a library:

24139169.jpg

Whatever path society takes? Are you sure?:P

That's why I like silver. It's money and I don't need 1000 lbs of it like I would with copper. Although if we're talking strictly investment, a derivative would work too.

1 minute ago, mdehaan said:

Whatever path society takes? Are you sure?:P

That's why I like silver. It's money and I don't need 1000 lbs of it like I would with copper. Although if we're talking strictly investment, a derivative would work too.

Yup, if goes all green....needs copper for electrification works (the alum experiment failed) and demand could be double in less than 20 years.    If it stays same, will need about double copper in 20-30 years as of today.  Either way, there is no where near that supply in the hopper and price jumps will be required to open up new deposits and investment.   

You are better investing in copper mining companies than owning the metal itself of course.   Silver is different but also less actually useful in the big scheme of things.   A price doubling is very unlikely but it does have its applications so it won't go away like lead is slowly doing.

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, if goes all green....needs copper for electrification works (the alum experiment failed) and demand could be double in less than 20 years.    If it stays same, will need about double copper in 20-30 years as of today.  Either way, there is no where near that supply in the hopper and price jumps will be required to open up new deposits and investment.   

You are better investing in copper mining companies than owning the metal itself of course.   Silver is different but also less actually useful in the big scheme of things.   A price doubling is very unlikely but it does have its applications so it won't go away like lead is slowly doing.

This is interesting, but not the thread for it. Maybe you missed the part where I said silver has an application as money. In which case a 'doubling' in dollar terms is just the beginning.

In terms of investment, explain to me why it is better to own a mining company, with all the input costs and price volatility associated with it. Owing a liquid derivative like an ETF makes more sense from a risk and rate of return point of view doesn't it? 

2 hours ago, mdehaan said:

This is interesting, but not the thread for it. Maybe you missed the part where I said silver has an application as money. In which case a 'doubling' in dollar terms is just the beginning.

In terms of investment, explain to me why it is better to own a mining company, with all the input costs and price volatility associated with it. Owing a liquid derivative like an ETF makes more sense from a risk and rate of return point of view doesn't it? 

Well, for example I bought Glencore and Teck Resources two years ago and have seen approximately, in the case of just the latter, my $6 stock (it went lower) hit nearly $40 CDN and is not steady in the $35 range.   That is a lot more than doubling.   I took out 70% of the profit and I still have more book value than my initial buy and am miles ahead and could now by a whack of a monetary equivalent which I have partially done.    

18 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Well, for example I bought Glencore and Teck Resources two years ago and have seen approximately, in the case of just the latter, my $6 stock (it went lower) hit nearly $40 CDN and is not steady in the $35 range.   That is a lot more than doubling.   I took out 70% of the profit and I still have more book value than my initial buy and am miles ahead and could now by a whack of a monetary equivalent which I have partially done.    

Here is a couple of potential problems with this. Generally speaking, good traders come out ahead 60% of the time. Bankers come out ahead 100% of the time. For the rest of us it is more like 50% on the high side. We hear about the trades that turn out well, but what about the ones that don't? They bring the average down.

For anybody that trades for more than fun/hobby I would ask, do you research the firms you are investing in? 

1 minute ago, mdehaan said:

Here is a couple of potential problems with this. Generally speaking, good traders come out ahead 60% of the time. Bankers come out ahead 100% of the time. For the rest of us it is more like 50% on the high side. We hear about the trades that turn out well, but what about the ones that don't? They bring the average down.

For anybody that trades for more than fun/hobby I would ask, do you research the firms you are investing in? 

I research the industries and then go with the consensus top firms within that sector.   I have some banks in my overall portfolio and those have been steady performers but never the home run type wins (and I always take out a goodly portion of profit, never ride any wave too long) that come from sector investing.      

Different styles perhaps but I remain amazed how people will agonize over a trivial buy like a phone or a shirt but not think twice over their investments.   A little education and research commensurate with its importance to your life is essential in my books but each to their own.    

On 4/11/2018 at 7:15 PM, mdehaan said:

You're confusing trading and investing. They are two entirely different disciplines. Different research is required for each discipline.

It's always a good idea to know what's going on when your money is involved. For example, if you're investing in stocks it's a good idea to know when their quarterly report is. If you're trading oil futures it's a good idea to know when "oil inventories" come out.

Being uninformed can be expensive.

Edited by nuckin_futz

On 4/18/2018 at 2:43 PM, nuckin_futz said:

You're confusing trading and investing. They are two entirely different disciplines. Different research is required for each discipline.

It's always a good idea to know what's going on when your money is involved. For example, if you're investing in stocks it's a good idea to know when their quarterly report is. If you're trading oil futures it's a good idea to know when "oil inventories" come out.

Being uninformed can be expensive.

No, I wasn't confusing anything. I used 'investing' in the broad sense of the term. Trading can still be done over months, in which you may own a particular company for a long period of time. 

Anyone paying attention to whats going on in Argentina? The contagion is spreading to other Latin American regions. If it doesn't stop soon it's going to be hard for global markets to ignore.

Argentina central bank: You call that a hike, this is a hike

Argentina's central bank raises rates by 675 basis points

The central bank in Argentina is in full-on panic mode as they try to stem a run on the currency and runaway inflation.

They hiked 300 basis points last Friday, another 300 basis points yesterday and now 675 basis points to an even 40.00%.

That's a whopping 1275 basis points in a week.

Despite the moves and aggressive FX intervention, the Argentine peso is getting absolutely clobbered.

ars.png

There are some heavy flows out of Argentina, undoubtedly, and it's all flooding into US dollars. There's a risk of contagion to regional markets and other emerging markets.

In the past 5 days, the peso is down 9.3% with most of Latin America down around 2%.

https://forexlive.com/centralbank/!/argentina-central-bank-you-call-that-a-hike-this-is-a-hike-20180504

Word is the Central Bank in Argentina has been intervening heavily to support the Argentine Peso and been getting run over. 

4 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Anyone paying attention to whats going on in Argentina? The contagion is spreading to other Latin American regions. If it doesn't stop soon it's going to be hard for global markets to ignore.

Argentina central bank: You call that a hike, this is a hike

Argentina's central bank raises rates by 675 basis points

The central bank in Argentina is in full-on panic mode as they try to stem a run on the currency and runaway inflation.

They hiked 300 basis points last Friday, another 300 basis points yesterday and now 675 basis points to an even 40.00%.

That's a whopping 1275 basis points in a week.

Despite the moves and aggressive FX intervention, the Argentine peso is getting absolutely clobbered.

ars.png

There are some heavy flows out of Argentina, undoubtedly, and it's all flooding into US dollars. There's a risk of contagion to regional markets and other emerging markets.

In the past 5 days, the peso is down 9.3% with most of Latin America down around 2%.

https://forexlive.com/centralbank/!/argentina-central-bank-you-call-that-a-hike-this-is-a-hike-20180504

Word is the Central Bank in Argentina has been intervening heavily to support the Argentine Peso and been getting run over. 

Wonder if this would negatively affect a bank like BNS, that has heavily invested in Latin America.

Disappointed in the bank. I switched to a management group out of Vancouver. The adviser explained and showed to me that the rate the bank said they were offering me was in fact way off and it was about half of that for my RSP and TFSA. Either the adviser at the bank misled or didn't know any better because he is new to the branch. Which is another problem doing this through the bank because you get new advisers quite frequently as it is a stepping stone towards something bigger, it's more of an entry level position. And doing this sort of thing through the bank with any of their portfolios they only invest in their own product, and nothing else, and you can never meet or talk to who is actually investing your money because they are based in Toronto where as now I can speak directly with the individual and can see precisely how my money is doing in each of the stocks in the diverse portfolio provided to me where as that was next to impossible through the bank. So now I'm receiving several points higher with much more transparency and communication.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Disappointed in the bank. I switched to a management group out of Vancouver. The adviser explained and showed to me that the rate the bank said they were offering me was in fact way off and it was about half of that for my RSP and TFSA. Either the adviser at the bank misled or didn't know any better because he is new to the branch. Which is another problem doing this through the bank because you get new advisers quite frequently as it is a stepping stone towards something bigger, it's more of an entry level position. And doing this sort of thing through the bank with any of their portfolios they only invest in their own product, and nothing else, and you can never meet or talk to who is actually investing your money because they are based in Toronto where as now I can speak directly with the individual and can see precisely how my money is doing in each of the stocks in the diverse portfolio provided to me where as that was next to impossible through the bank. So now I'm receiving several points higher with much more transparency and communication.

Which bank were you using? I was thinking about switching over to TD because their online brokerage seems very easy to use. Which is important, cause I don't know sh*t...

5 hours ago, Canorth said:

Which bank were you using? I was thinking about switching over to TD because their online brokerage seems very easy to use. Which is important, cause I don't know sh*t...

CIBC. I'm sure they're all the same in that regard

Edited by Tortorella's Rant