The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

Sorry but what does that have to do with anything

He said out loud, on air during an episode of Lang & O'Leary Exchange, that Wind Mobile is a renewable energy company....

If you look at his history, the guy is more of an industrial tycoon than a Bay / Wall Street financial type, which I respect. But someone who doesn't know what Wind Mobile is should not be on TV pretending to be an investment / economic analyst.

EDIT: may I add that he was bullish on stocks back in July... even on the Shanghai Stock exchange, which has since suffered a 30% drop.

Edited by Hugor Hill

He said out loud, on air during an episode of Lang & O'Leary Exchange, that Wind Mobile is a renewable energy company....

If you look at his history, the guy is more of an industrial tycoon than a Bay / Wall Street financial type, which I respect. But someone who doesn't know what Wind Mobile is should not be on TV pretending to be an investment / economic analyst.

First of all that has nothing to do with whether what he say is correct. His fund speak for themselves. If you are truly a person interested in investing you learn quickly learn that no one is perfect but that doesn't mean you ignore everything else they say. I know I've watched good friends on the Lang & O'Leary exchange arguing with him on plenty of things, that doesn't discredit everything he says as false.

First of all that has nothing to do with whether what he say is correct. His fund speak for themselves. If you are truly a person interested in investing you learn quickly learn that no one is perfect but that doesn't mean you ignore everything else they say. I know I've watched good friends on the Lang & O'Leary exchange arguing with him on plenty of things, that doesn't discredit everything he says as false.

Sure. I agree. But rather than educating the masses, has it ever occur to you that people of influence say stuff on media to further their own gains?

He obviously has friends and money in the traditional energy industry. Why couldn't he be two sided and say that NDP or Liberals' policies may benefit other industries? Why so much focus on oil? He obviously has an agenda to cheer for the energy industry, which taints any information he offers to the public.

Edited by Hugor Hill

The energy sector drives the market in canada, it plays such a major role. You can watch this with when energy rises so does the TSX. I don't know what your involvement is with markets, if you just have a PA account or you plan on becoming a PM but you will quickly realized how important energy is even if you don't invest in energy yourself. I got out of most of my energy stocks but the low oil prices has made the market so volatile on even my IT and pharma stocks, There's not enough shares are being moved on a daily basis. Can it change? sure but it's not something that will change quickly.

The energy sector drives the market in canada, it plays such a major role. You can watch this with when energy rises so does the TSX. I don't know what your involvement is with markets, if you just have a PA account or you plan on becoming a PM but you will quickly realized how important energy is even if you don't invest in energy yourself. I got out of most of my energy stocks but the low oil prices has made the market so volatile on even my IT and pharma stocks, There's not enough shares are being moved on a daily basis. Can it change? sure but it's not something that will change quickly.

I have a PA account. I dabbled in stocks but really I like to play it safe with mutual funds. I have access to zero commission and low MER with mutual funds so I stick with that. Right now everything is in cash.

But back to KOL, wouldn't Liberals' infrastructure spending increase the demand for oil? Would that not be a positive for the oil industry? Why didn't he mention that?

economics majors would strongly disagree with you. Supply has every thing to do with demand and vise versa

I don't think he took economics in school...

I have a PA account. I dabbled in stocks but really I like to play it safe with mutual funds. I have access to zero commission and low MER with mutual funds so I stick with that. Right now everything is in cash.

But back to KOL, wouldn't Liberals' infrastructure spending increase the demand for oil? Would that not be a positive for the oil industry? Why didn't he mention that?

If you want to play if safe, why don't you buy government bonds?

After all, you like the government so much why don't you support it with your savings in addition to your taxes?

Edited by CanadianLoonie

Only if price is affected. In this case it isn't.

Price in oil is always effected by the supply. The liberal infrastructure spending might be hurtful to oil companies as they may look to spend on renewable energy sources. As well as raise the corporate tax causing them to have even less of a profit margin.

Price in oil is always effected by the supply. The liberal infrastructure spending might be hurtful to oil companies as they may look to spend on renewable energy sources. As well as raise the corporate tax causing them to have even less of a profit margin.

Infrastructure projects need oil. Not flipping wind power.

I don't really care about profit margins for the resource industry. Demand creates jobs. So I would rather see a rise in demand over a rise in profits as long as they are making some profits.

Someone else just said oil prices won't change. You guys should make up your mind.

Infrastructure projects need oil. Not flipping wind power.

I don't really care about profit margins for the resource industry. Demand creates jobs. So I would rather see a rise in demand over a rise in profits as long as they are making some profits.

Someone else just said oil prices won't change. You guys should make up your mind.

Oil prices will always change. When the demands starts to overtake the supply the prices go up. Demand would create jobs, but profit pays for them. Companies already have to match an employees CPP and EI at 1.4x the dollar. Add in a higher corporate tax and there will be less money to pay for the employees.

As an investment forum this is bad news for people who invest.

Also look outside of the box in wind power. Fusion is the future, a long with fully synthetic materials causing a drop in the dependence in crude oil

• Upvote 1

Oil prices will always change. When the demands starts to overtake the supply the prices go up. Demand would create jobs, but profit pays for them. Companies already have to match an employees CPP and EI at 1.4x the dollar. Add in a higher corporate tax and there will be less money to pay for the employees.

As an investment forum this is bad news for people who invest.

Also look outside of the box in wind power. Fusion is the future, a long with fully synthetic materials causing a drop in the dependence in crude oil

In principle I agree with you about prices, I guess a lot depends on how much demand will rise.

I sure wish fusion power is within our grasp! lol!

But I do think that you are placing too much importance on profits for job creation. It's not unusual at all to see unprofitable companies hire as long as there is a work that needs to be done and profitable companies lay people off as long as the work is not there. Banks are the ultimate example of a profitable sector that fires employees even though they are totally profitable.

Anyways, at least we are having a genuine discussion.

Because it is not a good investment - low interest rates that's fully taxable.

1.) I thought you love to fully pay taxes.

2.) You don't want to really invest in public infrastructure, schools, hospitals, and other social programs with your after-tax dollars AKA you are not putting your money where your mouth is.

You just want other people to do so, but it's not a good investment for you.

1.) I thought you love to fully pay taxes.

2.) You don't want to really invest in public infrastructure, schools, hospitals, and other social programs with your after-tax dollars AKA you are not putting your money where your mouth is.

You just want other people to do so, but it's not a good investment for you.

What a stupid counter. We pay our taxes because it's our duty but we don't pay more than we have to, especially when it comes to investment selection.

You're probably not stupid so stop talking stupid.