The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

5 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Actual view of MARK today... In and out for $200 gain 4 times.

Money Printer Stock Pictures, Royalty-free Photos & Images - Getty ...

are there limits to the number of times you can buy and sell the same stock in a day? thought i read that somewhere but im pretty ignorant of alot of this stuff

13 minutes ago, yoshiyoshi said:

are there limits to the number of times you can buy and sell the same stock in a day? thought i read that somewhere but im pretty ignorant of alot of this stuff

Not on a cash account.. I have done 200+ transactions in 3 weeks.. $9.99 per transaction.

1 hour ago, yoshiyoshi said:

EVFM is below 6 right now. God im glad i held back from buying right away now.

Seems you broke TD, yoshi -

This symbol is not eligible for trading online. For assistance, please call TD Direct Investing at 1-800-465-5463. [ 44221 ]

Lol (EVFM)

hehe and its back down to where i was trying to buy in lol, oh well i guess we will see how the day/week play out for it. I figure the worst case will be hitting 5 so my losses wouldnt be too horrible, VTIQ was worse. Although if VTIQ spikes above 28.50 again i think ill sell and buy back in at a drop. I got pretty lucky freeing up money on ERI this morning, got 36.7 for my shares and its down to 34.5 range now

Edited by yoshiyoshi

6 minutes ago, yoshiyoshi said:

i sold at 28.66 or so, not sure why i didnt get 28.85 which was the quote before and after the sale but whatever. of course it kept going up after that grr. I need it to come back down to at least 28 to buy back in, preferably 27

Make sure you're doing Limit orders and not just hitting market order. Market order is saying "I'll sell for the first offer that comes in"

1 minute ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Make sure you're doing Limit orders and not just hitting market order. Market order is saying "I'll sell for the first offer that comes in"

i tried to do a limit order buy earlier and had problems with nothing happening. I guess setting a sale limit is less problematic? Ill try it next time

1 minute ago, yoshiyoshi said:

i tried to do a limit order buy earlier and had problems with nothing happening. I guess setting a sale limit is less problematic? Ill try it next time

Remember stop limit buys aren't guarantees.

Even though a stock could hit your stop price and send your limit order to market, someone has to be selling that many shares at that price. 

Just because a stock falls from 2.10 to 2.05 doesn't mean people are willing to sell for 2.05, or if there is offers at 2.05, it might be for way more shares than you're wanting to buy.

1 minute ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Remember stop limit buys aren't guarantees.

Even though a stock could hit your stop price and send your limit order to market, someone has to be selling that many shares at that price. 

Just because a stock falls from 2.10 to 2.05 doesn't mean people are willing to sell for 2.05, or if there is offers at 2.05, it might be for way more shares than you're wanting to buy.

i guess that explains some of my purchase prices then. Been wondering why im getting in at higher than i expect

On 5/11/2020 at 6:44 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

I see you're also monitoring PENN.

I don't know how much I trust Portnoy 

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I'm done for today. I'm in all my positions where I wanted to be in at. Also picked up $PENN

:bigblush:

image.png.f7a5ed399cfaff61122717b0c0900c14.png

22 minutes ago, yoshiyoshi said:

i guess that explains some of my purchase prices then. Been wondering why im getting in at higher than i expect

Limit order = guarantee of price, no guarantee of execution

Market order = Guarantee of execution, no guarantee of price

Use a hybrid. If the quote is bid $15.27 x ask $15.28, send a limit order to buy at $15.30. That way it's pretty much a market order (but with price guarantee).