AV's Coin

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Sounds like you're in love with this stock and it's an abusive relationship. What was the plan going in? Was there a plan? Or just ride it to zero?

 

Rid your portfolio of the non performing dogs. They are dead money. That money could be put to better use. Plus it just plain sucks logging in a looking at that negative sign beside the number every day doesn't it? A constant reminder how you messed up. Take out the trash and make some cash.

 

Plan the trade, trade the plan. :)  <------------ that simple axiom will keep you out of a lot of trouble.

 

Are you referring to taking profits early or actual short selling?

So regarding this stock, it used to be RTTR, merged with Qualigen.  Now QLGN on the markets.  They currently picked up and hold 2 incredibly promising medicines with exclusive distribution rights in China.  QLGN since the merger tanked.  I am willing to take a 30% hit on the stock but a 64% hit is unacceptable.  I know that there was risk in holding on through the merger and that the stock would dip regardless of performance but it is not a love issue so much as a refusal to accept losses beyond my accepted percentage

 

I am referring to taking profits early.  Just realized how short selling sounded.  Selling early is far more appropriate a statement.  I try to ensure my earnings exit strategy is within 30% growth, I try to keep my losses to within 10% 

 

yesterday and today I lost out on a potential $8300 because I refused to hold on knowing that by mid day or following day the stocks would drop.  ABIO did drop significantly today and SNOA is actually right in the mark of my sale price.  So I made decent money on both regardless but could have made more if I'd have been patient.  Can't complain about earnings but still...a little more steel and I'd be taking the wife to the dr for new...."accessories"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So regarding this stock, it used to be RTTR, merged with Qualigen.  Now QLGN on the markets.  They currently picked up and hold 2 incredibly promising medicines with exclusive distribution rights in China.  QLGN since the merger tanked.  I am willing to take a 30% hit on the stock but a 64% hit is unacceptable.  I know that there was risk in holding on through the merger and that the stock would dip regardless of performance but it is not a love issue so much as a refusal to accept losses beyond my accepted percentage

 

The first 2 bold lines are the fastest ways to blow up an account that I can think of. How does a 90% loss sound? The only bigger mistake you could make is compounding it by averaging down. Sh** happens, don't get stubborn. Protect your capital. It's like the instructions they give a boxer at the beginning of a fight. "Protect yourself at all times". They don't say "keep taking punches to the head and wait for the other guy to get tired". Getting stubborn will cost you soooooo much money.

 

 

I am referring to taking profits early.  Just realized how short selling sounded.  Selling early is far more appropriate a statement.  I try to ensure my earnings exit strategy is within 30% growth, I try to keep my losses to within 10% 

 

Now this sounds like "plan the trade, trade the plan". Sure you're going to wind up leaving some dough on the table but you're going to save yourself a lot of headaches on the flip side of the equation.

 

 

yesterday and today I lost out on a potential $8300 because I refused to hold on knowing that by mid day or following day the stocks would drop.  ABIO did drop significantly today and SNOA is actually right in the mark of my sale price.  So I made decent money on both regardless but could have made more if I'd have been patient.  Can't complain about earnings but still...a little more steel and I'd be taking the wife to the dr for new...."accessories"  

 

You can always sell half and ride the rest. Or scale out of your position. Though that's probably tough when you're paying $10 a trade. The answer to this of course is don't pay $10 a trade. Keep us abreast of the situation regarding the accessories.

 

  • Hydration 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

 

Count on er bud.  I've got a one week exit for that dog.  It's already moderating the losses post merger and climbing.  But I'm willing to write it off as is based on my earnings elsewhere.  Averaged out I've still come out ahead no matter what.  For my first full week of trading I feel pretty good

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heads up. President Dumbo is speaking on the relationship with China.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Depends on many factors. What stock was it? Was it under a buck? Do you self direct what market center your order gets routed to? Does your broker accept payment for order flow?

 

There's not 1 cue you get in and wait. There's several. Generally speaking getting a partial fill does not put you at the back of the bus. but there are several buses. if that makes any sense.

https://www.aequitasneo.com/en/single-security/MMED#!/market-depth
 

Bought some at 0.54 cents and was just watching the market depth. 
 

Thanks for the info, gives me some things to read up on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, HI5 said:

https://www.aequitasneo.com/en/single-security/MMED#!/market-depth
 

Bought some at 0.54 cents and was just watching the market depth. 
 

Thanks for the info, gives me some things to read up on!

Day Trading Stock Quotes (Data) – Level I and Level II ...

 

The problem with the market depth you're looking at is it aggregates everything on 1 level. The pic above shows what the depth really looks like. It shows every market center participating on each price level. Are you self directing your order to BATS or ARCA etc? If not, are you aware where your broker is routing the order?

 

Let's say your order for 35,000 is sitting on BATS and gets executed for 5000. The rest is still sitting on BATS but now other people (algos) are executing with ARCA or NYSE etc. So you will wait to get the rest filled until someone executes with BATS again. There is no specific rule governing which market center gets filled first. All of these market centers compete for volume and have close (but varying) price structures and pay different rebates for the volume.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Stop loss on Mark triggered at 2.90 for me.. Sold half of my position. I bought in at 1.96 so no complaints about a 50% profit! Thank you @AriGold2.0

You're welcome buddy...

 

I averaged down to I think 2.57 and got out at exactly 2.57.. Cost me my in and out fees but I was done messing around with that stock..

 

image.thumb.png.7c3f4e092233372ac07219f56ded0002.png

Edited by AriGold2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working on a big boy stock right now... Doing alot of DD this weekend...

 

If all checks out I will post on Sunday night, this one may be the the "Safest" investment on the market with the highest upside.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Working on a big boy stock right now... Doing alot of DD this weekend...

 

If all checks out I will post on Sunday night, this one may be the the "Safest" investment on the market with the highest upside.

LOL none of these stocks are considered 'safe' and this thread should really be renamed the Gambling thread. Most of these plays are day - weekly trades and should be played that way.

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So regarding this stock, it used to be RTTR, merged with Qualigen.  Now QLGN on the markets.  They currently picked up and hold 2 incredibly promising medicines with exclusive distribution rights in China.  QLGN since the merger tanked.  I am willing to take a 30% hit on the stock but a 64% hit is unacceptable.  I know that there was risk in holding on through the merger and that the stock would dip regardless of performance but it is not a love issue so much as a refusal to accept losses beyond my accepted percentage

 

I am referring to taking profits early.  Just realized how short selling sounded.  Selling early is far more appropriate a statement.  I try to ensure my earnings exit strategy is within 30% growth, I try to keep my losses to within 10% 

 

yesterday and today I lost out on a potential $8300 because I refused to hold on knowing that by mid day or following day the stocks would drop.  ABIO did drop significantly today and SNOA is actually right in the mark of my sale price.  So I made decent money on both regardless but could have made more if I'd have been patient.  Can't complain about earnings but still...a little more steel and I'd be taking the wife to the dr for new...."accessories"

In regards to QLGN it looks like there is significant support at the level it is at right now so if it went down it shouldn't be by much. This looks like a sell the pop stock like all the stocks that have been listed here the last few weeks. I have no idea what the news or fundamentals of this company are but there could be a chance it has another pop in the next few months and then I'd be getting out. Don't get greedy.

 

As for ABIO, that was a crazy last three days and you should definitely not beat yourself over it. You made money...end of story. Had you held till the next day as all temptations do you'd be down 30%. I know you say you wouldn't have held past that day but your saying that in hindsight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TGokou said:

LOL none of these stocks are considered 'safe' and this thread should really be renamed the Gambling thread. Most of these plays are day - weekly trades and should be played that way.

This one's not a pump and dump like what we've been touting previously.

 

I will post it if I think it's legit and I would love your input on it! Pros and cons are most welcome, I would love good reasons not to buy a stock!

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

This one's not a pump and dump like what we've been touting previously.

 

I will post it if I think it's legit and I would love your input on it! Pros and cons are most welcome, I would love good reasons not to buy a stock!

The problem with any company related to Covid is that these are all pump and dumps. Pharmaceuticals, Biotech companies, ReMark etc. None of these have sustainable businesses at super high valuations and should never be held long term. I remember during the whole Ebola craze when pharmaceuticals jumped couple hundred percent and eventually never to be heard of again. There is no money to be made there. Also there will always be good news like "Oh our vaccine works or our drug works" but 99% of the time they never pan out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TGokou said:

The problem with any company related to Covid is that these are all pump and dumps. Pharmaceuticals, Biotech companies, ReMark etc. None of these have sustainable businesses at super high valuations and should never be held long term. I remember during the whole Ebola craze when pharmaceuticals jumped couple hundred percent and eventually never to be heard of again. There is no money to be made there. Also there will always be good news like "Oh our vaccine works or our drug works" but 99% of the time they never pan out. 

100%.. Well, Remark has a much bigger play then the rest because temperature scanning will be the future. People with even the flu will now be turned away from certain establishments.

 

That being said, yes all the Pharma companies etc are gonna tank hard after Covid (whenever that is).  I treat Pharma as a pump and dump.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AriGold2.0 said:

100%.. Well, Remark has a much bigger play then the rest because temperature scanning will be the future. People with even the flu will now be turned away from certain establishments.

 

That being said, yes all the Pharma companies etc are gonna tank hard after Covid (whenever that is).  I treat Pharma as a pump and dump.

 

 

For sure Remark has a longer shelf life than most Pharmas because they actually have something they can sell to the public (vs Pharma that is a hope and a dream). They still don't have a sustainable business model because after Covid no one will be buying temperature scanners and I imagine they don't have a recurring business model. Typically when it comes to small cap companies like this whenever I see over 75-100 million$ in daily volume it's probably time to get out (Multiply daily volume by stock price). I am no expert on the matter but generally that is the case. Now could I see Remark going higher? Probably but it'll most likely revert back to it's trendline around $2 before making another move up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TGokou said:

LOL none of these stocks are considered 'safe' and this thread should really be renamed the Gambling thread. Most of these plays are day - weekly trades and should be played that way.

I don't think anyone in here has been touting swing or day trades as long term investments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TGokou said:

In regards to QLGN it looks like there is significant support at the level it is at right now so if it went down it shouldn't be by much. This looks like a sell the pop stock like all the stocks that have been listed here the last few weeks. I have no idea what the news or fundamentals of this company are but there could be a chance it has another pop in the next few months and then I'd be getting out. Don't get greedy.

 

As for ABIO, that was a crazy last three days and you should definitely not beat yourself over it. You made money...end of story. Had you held till the next day as all temptations do you'd be down 30%. I know you say you wouldn't have held past that day but your saying that in hindsight. 

As stated my QLGN hold will only be until my self imposed acceptable loss is reached.  Based on their news and signed contracts they will in fact increase their stock value over the next few weeks.

 

I kick myself for what ifs or should haves but at days end, I've made a few thousands this week and am only holding 1 dog stock and have banked my earnings while retaining my original investment amount towards future engagements.  I can't complain about that as I am still learning.

 

Every dollar I make above my investment, minus my trade fee is a win.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

As stated my QLGN hold will only be until my self imposed acceptable loss is reached.  Based on their news and signed contracts they will in fact increase their stock value over the next few weeks.

 

I kick myself for what ifs or should haves but at days end, I've made a few thousands this week and am only holding 1 dog stock and have banked my earnings while retaining my original investment amount towards future engagements.  I can't complain about that as I am still learning.

 

Every dollar I make above my investment, minus my trade fee is a win.  

Exactly as long as you remained disciplined in your trades whether the stock jumps way up after you've sold it you've still made a decent chunk of change. And with AriGold providing all the tips there is always something new to jump into haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Exactly as long as you remained disciplined in your trades whether the stock jumps way up after you've sold it you've still made a decent chunk of change. And with AriGold providing all the tips there is always something new to jump into haha.

I am scouring medical news every morning (I am up at 4 am for work the last and next few weeks) to see who has Covid related news.  I dump a few hundred in and have an exit strategy.  So far it's worked.  Much like tankers during the oil supply issue.  I looked and saw which companies had open tankers on the stock markets, I invested a few dollars and a day or two later the saudis and Americans were renting these fleets to store oil in.  Stock rose, I took my money and ran.

 

I hate having a dog in my current portfolio like QLGN because sitting at a 60% loss on $800 is not a good feeling.  Yes it's not a lot of money but I do not like those margins and will hold for a time.

 

As for MARK, I think it will rise, a $4 range is not out of the ordinary at all.  If this is sustainable I am unsure, but there is and will be a serious need for thermal imaging tech over the next few years and front runners on that will be viable stock options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I hate having a dog in my current portfolio like QLGN because sitting at a 60% loss on $800 is not a good feeling.  Yes it's not a lot of money but I do not like those margins and will hold for a time.

Looks like a great time to average down.. That being said, RTTR QLGN is a weird one.. No rhyme or reason to how it operates.

 

image.png.1bd0ef3da41fd9802a52c5ec6e7f56ac.png

Edited by AriGold2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I don't think anyone in here has been touting swing or day trades as long term investments. 

I know. However for the uninitiated reading these threads and the euphoria going on they could be suckered into a long term position. Therefore I felt it appropriate to leave a disclaimer for those who have not posted.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.