The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

58 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Stocks like AAPL, NVDA, MSFT, NFLIX, AMZN etc. have been on fire, this can’t continue forever.

I am starting to invest into recent “dogs”, oil, utilities, financials, garbage etc.

Hard to say. The states had 60k new cases yesterday.. if they trend toward another shut down the oil stocks will tank more. That said a lot of them are on the cheap right now because of the risk, economic out looks, and transition away from fossil fuels. Same could be said for financials, what does their outlook look like if we are entering a bear market?

But I guess the fed will just print money, so I don't know. I have been thinking of picking up more Royal Dutch Shell.

My Match.com play has turned out pretty nicely so far. Bought at 92.90 and is now at 96

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

Stocks like AAPL, NVDA, MSFT, NFLIX, AMZN etc. have been on fire, this can’t continue forever.

I am starting to invest into recent “dogs”, oil, utilities, financials, garbage etc.

SQ, SHOP, TTD, CRWD, SNPS and other tech have been killing it. 

BNS, RY, BMO, FTS, Telus -- have never really recovered from March and continue to stink. 

I'm keeping them for diversification cause everyone says I should, plus dividends, but man...it's hard to not rock on tech right now.

43 minutes ago, inane said:

BNS, RY, BMO, FTS, Telus -- have never really recovered from March and continue to stink. 

I'm keeping them for diversification cause everyone says I should, plus dividends, but man...it's hard to not rock on tech right now.

I'm happy I got into those at current levels.. hopefully they rebound. I think they are still good stocks for the long haul.

1 hour ago, inane said:

For sure, I am up 60% on Microsoft since March but I wonder for how long tech stocks can go up.

Sooner or later rotation should kick in, also lot of “stay at home” stocks are overvalued.

Tesla and Netflix have 45b in sales per year but valuation of almost 500b, that’s crazy.

Personally I don’t like bank or gas stocks but I am thinking they should go up eventually.

2 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

For sure, I am up 60% on Microsoft since March but I wonder for how long tech stocks can go up.

Sooner or later rotation should kick in, also lot of “stay at home” stocks are overvalued.

Tesla and Netflix have 45b in sales per year but valuation of almost 500b, that’s crazy.

Personally I don’t like bank or gas stocks but I am thinking they should go up eventually.

Banks always make money. Just need time. They win the slow game.

I also wonder when the world normalizes if tech stocks do well as more people will work from home.

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Banks always make money. Just need time. They win the slow game.

I also wonder when the world normalizes if tech stocks do well as more people will work from home.

I would imagine zoom, slack, Microsoft etc. should continue doing good.

Oil is beat up beyond belief, there is no way but for it to go up.

Bank stocks pay decent dividends as well.

17 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I sold EMA and bought ALA yesterday as my inching towards energy. I'll keep AMZN< MSFT and GOOGL for the growth. All 3 are well financed so downside, if any, should be of short duration. 

16 hours ago, inane said:

I feel your pain. I sold BNS & BMO some time ago but will stick with RY, FTS & T. I find T intriguing as they move towards spinning off their Telus Health. What I have downgraded over the past 2 years is BCE. More tech in Telus. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I sold EMA and bought ALA yesterday as my inching towards energy. I'll keep AMZN< MSFT and GOOGL for the growth. All 3 are well financed so downside, if any, should be of short duration. 

You never sell those 3, I would add Apple on that list.

I bought Phillips 66, that thing has been so beat up I am hoping it springs back to life.

Also bought PNC bank and Republic Services which is garbage removal company.

Sempra energy is most undervalued of utilities stocks imo.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Out of curiosity, why did you sell EMA? It is a solid company imo. I like Alta Gas as well.

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Out of curiosity, why did you sell EMA? It is a solid company imo. I like Alta Gas as well.

When I ran my numbers ALA came out ahead of EMA. ALA has gone thru some tough years after buying the utility in DC and W.Virgina. PR/Sales less than half of 5yr; PE 12.6; LTG 10.6% which was better than EMA. 

Both are major NG distributors but I like ALA's area more than Florida and the Caribbean. ALA has a little more exposure to energy. Shipping liquid propane out of Rupert. Still have some assets in northern BC gas. While EMA has a dividend growth rate of 5-6% it pays a much lower dividend than ALA. I keep my pipes and utilities for the CF more than anything else. I actually added to ENB the other day. Yields in excess of 6% have to draw attention at some point.  

I bought Phillips 66, that thing has been so beat up I am hoping it springs back to life.

As a Canadian I don't buy yield in the USA as a prime reason for buying a company. For tax purposes I also don't hold USA stocks personally as I don't want to file a USA tax return or worry about estate taxes. My USA stocks are in a holding Co. Health-Tech-Industrial are my sectors. I missed APPL and was stopped out of 3/4 of my AMZN back in March. That hurt! My home run is MSFT with a ACB of $94. I have lost a lot on energy so l lean towards the pipes. Last oil Co is PXT down in Columbia. No debt.   

RSG love that company.

Got in at $30!

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

As a Canadian I don't buy yield in the USA as a prime reason for buying a company. For tax purposes I also don't hold USA stocks personally as I don't want to file a USA tax return or worry about estate taxes. My USA stocks are in a holding Co. Health-Tech-Industrial are my sectors. I missed APPL and was stopped out of 3/4 of my AMZN back in March. That hurt! My home run is MSFT with a ACB of $94. I have lost a lot on energy so l lean towards the pipes. Last oil Co is PXT down in Columbia. No debt.   

Yeah, that sounds like pain in the ass.

I never owned any foreign stocks that pay dividends.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

From my understanding if those stocks were in a TFSA you wouldn't have to pay taxes on the canadian side though, correct? IRS deducts the 15% then you get 85% of the dividends put into your TFSA "tax free". So if in a TFSA, investors only see 85% of the USA dividends..... I think.