The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

5 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

From my understanding if those stocks were in a TFSA you wouldn't have to pay taxes on the canadian side though, correct? IRS deducts the 15% then you get 85% of the dividends put into your TFSA "tax free". So if in a TFSA, investors only see 85% of the USA dividends..... I think.

You are right. I think you can recover the USA 15% on your Canadian tax return. My concern about holding USA stocks personally whether in a cash account, TFSA or RRSP is that the dollar value can be lumped into a USA holdings total which can trigger estate taxes. I think the trigger point is $100K but not sure. So a winter home in Arizona, some time share and a USD brokerage account could add up quick. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Yeah, that sounds like pain in the ass.

I never owned any foreign stocks that pay dividends.

I don't know how IRS deals with Canadian stocks. I have a buddy in Minny who owns are Canadian banks so I should ask.  

5 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

From my understanding if those stocks were in a TFSA you wouldn't have to pay taxes on the canadian side though, correct? IRS deducts the 15% then you get 85% of the dividends put into your TFSA "tax free". So if in a TFSA, investors only see 85% of the USA dividends..... I think.

Correct. No withholdings on RRSP.

Edited by Chris12345

8 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Every EV company is going public. Fisker the latest. Limit order didn't trigger at 12.84 yesterday had to get in at 13.40. Was pissed. Not so much any more lol.

Also bought GRAF warrants this morning on the rumour they're bidding for Walmart deal

Geeze why can't I seem to find their stock?  Whats it under?  I am about to start investing in the EV space I think.

Ignore me somehow I was misspelling their bloody name like a nimrod

Edited by Russ

5 minutes ago, Russ said:

Geeze why can't I seem to find their stock?  Whats it under?  I am about to start investing in the EV space I think.

Ignore me somehow I was misspelling their bloody name like a nimrod

EVs are the next Cannabis stocks, which were the new .com's. A lot of money to be made coming up with EVs... a lot to be lost holding the bag probably as well (NKLA).

15 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

EVs are the next Cannabis stocks, which were the new .com's. A lot of money to be made coming up with EVs... a lot to be lost holding the bag probably as well (NKLA).

I disagree with nkla comment. 

While I cashed out on the stocks a while ago, I picked up call options when it dropped to low 40s. 

They’ve showcased the live hydrogen semi truck driving, braking and its dash and user interface. It’s a real thing. This isn’t just renderings anymore. In December the badger will be showcased but I have a strong feeling Trevor will leak videos of the badger in late August or September. I bought 50$ calls and expect to pay for my 2021-2022 canucks season tickets with the calls. 

46 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I disagree with nkla comment. 

While I cashed out on the stocks a while ago, I picked up call options when it dropped to low 40s. 

They’ve showcased the live hydrogen semi truck driving, braking and its dash and user interface. It’s a real thing. This isn’t just renderings anymore. In December the badger will be showcased but I have a strong feeling Trevor will leak videos of the badger in late August or September. I bought 50$ calls and expect to pay for my 2021-2022 canucks season tickets with the calls. 

I agree that there is potential there but my comment was directed at the people who were/are caught holding the bag. I sold at 85 I think but some would have bought at those levels. It was over valued at the ridiculous $93 or whatever it got up to but people bought into the hype. If it drops down into the low 40s again I'll consider getting back in because I do like the direction.

A cannabis example would be Canopy or Aurora. Canopy was up to $70 at one point. Not that it is a bad company but it was waaaaay over bought during the hype period.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

2 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I agree that there is potential there but my comment was directed at the people who were/are caught holding the bag. I sold at 85 I think but some would have bought at those levels. It was over valued at the ridiculous $93 or whatever it got up to but people bought into the hype. If it drops down into the low 40s again I'll consider getting back in because I do like the direction.

I bought at 29, sold my initial investment at 58 when it doubled and am now just paying with house money. So, I'm riding it long and might look at more if it drops into 40s.

Edited by inane
  • Cheers 1

Just now, inane said:

I bought at 29, sold my initial investment at 58 when it doubled and am now just paying with house money. So, I'm riding it long and might look at more of it drops into 40s.

Nice. Similar story to me. Bought at 23 (thought I was paying too much), sold at 32, bought again at 27, again at 59, again at 69, sold at 83 or 85ish i forget exactly. I do like the company direction, I am bullish on automotive industry disruptors, but it has a market cap value that competes with established automotive companies with actual cars on the road. I like the IVECO deal to with NKLA, it will help with manufacturing logistics, but they don't have the infrastructure to independently produce trucks and the price doesn't reflect that... But I'm just some amateur schmuck.

I got Nikola (Vecto IQ at that time) at 31 and sold at 70 and just margin traded a few times, although I missed the last big run from 40-55 this past week. I really like Nikola and I truly think its got a lot going for it, not only with the trucks and semis, but their whole business plan backed by known names in management. The fact that Tesla fanboys and Elon are going crazy in bashing the stock, he must feel threatened by their product. Its just tough to hold on since you'll end up buying and reselling the stock again because the Badger reveal isn't coming out till December and you can't just trust stocks running on just pure hype. Im hoping to get in though again low 40s or cheaper, theres going to be huge runs and dips until something comes out of the factory.

If you guys want a flyer, I know everyone here usually looks at nasdaq and tsx but very.cn (very good food inc.) might be worth a look. Plant based food company thats got a lot of growth, just got publicly traded a few months ago. Might be worth putting a small position (read up on it though!), they are in 50 thriftys stores so far and in July 15th this week will be rolling out to 1200 Sobeys grocery stores and some Saveon and Buy low stores

Work's been just too busy right now so I haven't been paying as much attention to the market.

Currently holding

LCA 600 shares @ $14.67

OGEN 2000 shares @ $0.97

JWS.U 681 Shares @ $10.67

Pulled the rest of my cash out and put it into my savings account. Hope you're all doing well!

EDIT: I will make a post shortly about OGEN. 

Edited by AriGold2.0

OGEN: Oragenics, Inc.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/OGEN/

Oragenics Provides Update on SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Program - They terminated their clinical development program with AG013 for the treatment of severe oral mucositis in cancer patients.

While working with Aragen Bioscience, a leading contract research organization focused on accelerating preclinical biologics product development, to advance the Company’s recently acquired COVID-19 vaccine candidate, TerraCoV2, the National Institutes of Health-created stabilized pre-fusion spike protein gene has been successfully inserted into Chinese Hamster Cells ("CHO") and "mini-pool" production and analytical development are underway. The transfer to full-scale manufacture is expected to commence later this summer.

Please please note that gigantic last line..

Lets review that.. They SUCCESSFULLY inserted a vaccine into hamsters.

"We expect to use our available cash to continue development of TerraCoV2, with the goal of bringing this COVID-19 vaccine candidate into human clinical trials by early 2021." :ph34r:

You guys may think I'm nuts but this one has all the makings to run like NVAX has this year. For those that don't know about NVAX it ran from $3 to $110 in 6 months..

Stock Market Scanning, Online Video Training for Traders and ...

• Upvote 1

Dolphin entertainment group setting up to become a powerhouse in the industry. 

Former acquisition of 42West, which is headed up by Leslee Dart, who is a powerhouse.

Leslee leaving her role as co-ceo of 42West to take a bigger role in leading Dolphin, but will continue to service her A list roster. 

Dolphin delayed their earnings from end of May to tomorrow because they had some major deals waiting to settle before reporting them. 

Dolphin had issued shares at a price of 3.44/share and have plans to continue to add through acquisition other A list firms to create a powerhouse media company. 

103698E1-011A-4AD7-886A-B4E79C952D43.jpeg

108489CB-2582-48F6-9007-40C3D9F6D93F.jpeg

AAAD7B4E-BE59-4A82-8315-E489A44E3D97.jpeg

348F240A-094F-4569-8E77-0CF82B55B1B5.jpeg

D1D01C07-0FC7-469E-8E80-CBD17119608D.jpeg

FE73BDF4-5D2E-4684-9BFF-6856254B895F.jpeg

D7A58CBB-429F-4363-9549-E66D7897FCA6.jpeg

64D98301-4DEC-4385-8C34-DD4CB9B416E9.jpeg

Edited by NucksPatsFan
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Anyone still in on gnus?  Or time to abandon ship?

Tempted to buy in now and sell on the announcement of the African-American actor which should be announced this week. (some screenshots say tues/wed will be the announcement). 

Edited by jatylo