The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

5 hours ago, NickTheGreek said:

So people, what about the WWE stock. I don't know if it's been discussed on here

So I invested a pretty considerable amount of money into this stock after it took a bit of a dip. Bought in at $75 and it's been hovering around the $82 mark for the 2 months I've had it so I'm up a decent amount.

When I first brought up to my advisor that I wanted to go seriously in on this stock he thought I was nuts and convinced me otherwise. When I first brought it up, it was around $25 so yeah, I live with some regret on that. He thought WWE, it's wrestling, it's gotta be a joke, but here we are today.

Anyway over to you guys. Thoughts/Opinions?

Regardless of an advisors opinion on pro wrestling, it's been a highly profitable company that's been running for 40 years with no end in sight. 

Successfully day traded for the first time today (had nothing better to do sitting in a hospital bed so I just watched stocks all day) and I don't think I could ever do it again.

Holy hell it was stressful.

I put 10k into Aphria at 11.87/share with an immediate stop-loss trigger price of $11.86 and sold it at 13.03. Made just under $1k in profit ($980).

Sure the risk was only doing $25 ($7.99 fee to buy, $7.99 fee to sell, loss of $9 with the 1 cent share price drop) but it was still stressful having that sum in. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Successfully day traded for the first time today (had nothing better to do sitting in a hospital bed so I just watched stocks all day) and I don't think I could ever do it again.

I put 10k into Aphria at 11.87/share with an immediate stop-loss trigger price of $11.86 and sold it at 13.03. Made just under $1k in profit ($980).

Sure the risk was only doing $25 ($7.99 fee to buy, $7.99 fee to sell, loss of $9 with the 1 cent share price drop) but it was still stressful having that sum in. 

Got in C.YOLO this morning for $0.18/share and it closed at $0.27/share. Prob sell Monday since the spike was due to them winning the coveted POT stock symbol battle. Expecting a quick $2000-$3000 profit. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

That brought back memories. My first day trade was in 1998. Bought 2000 shares of AMLN at 3 3/8's and flipped them a bit later at 3 1/2. Made $250 less $20 commish.

That one trade created a monster. Lost my job 5 months later (was actually kind of happy about that) and figured I'd give trading full time a shot until I landed another job. Needless to say trading became my job and still is.

If you think your trade was stressful. I don't recommend loading the ship on some illiquid garbage that's cratering and then having it halted for "news pending". That's not fun.

17 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

So 33 shares were unfilled of my 1033 share order. 

The end of day has come and passed at 1pm.

Does anyone know what will happen? I don't see this stock listed under my holdings, nor is the purchase listed under my activity tab. However it's still under orders. 

What type of attributes did you assign to your order? Was it a "GTC" order (Good until cancelled) ? Or a "day" order. If it's a day order the remainder will cancel at the close.

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

That brought back memories. My first day trade was in 1998. Bought 2000 shares of AMLN at 3 3/8's and flipped them a bit later at 3 1/2. Made $250 less $20 commish.

That one trade created a monster. Lost my job 5 months later (was actually kind of happy about that) and figured I'd give trading full time a shot until I landed another job. Needless to say trading became my job and still is.

If you think your trade was stressful. I don't recommend loading the ship on some illiquid garbage that's cratering and then having it halted for "news pending". That's not fun.

What type of attributes did you assign to your order? Was it a "GTC" order (Good until cancelled) ? Or a "day" order. If it's a day order the remainder will cancel at the close.

It was a limit order good until end of day. 

How did you get into trading as a career besides igniting your spark from that one experience. Formal schooling? 

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

It was a limit order good until end of day. 

How did you get into trading as a career besides igniting your spark from that one experience. Formal schooling? 

Yeah then your limit order, or the remainder of it will cancel at day's end.

My formal schooling is in the area of electronics. It didn't take me long to realize electronics sucks and that I had made a serious vocational error. My story is pretty typical I guess. I had a financial advisor who seemed pretty smart. With my years of experience I can now look back and see he was just a dumb ass salesman (most of them are). As evidenced by the fact he was subsequently banned from the industry by regulators.

I suffered sizable losses and asked myself "why am I paying this dummy to lose my money when I am more than capable of losing it myself?". So I just opened a brokerage account and started reading everything I could on investing. Was a lot of hit and miss in the beginning. But even when I missed I was learning. Meeting the right people along the way certainly helped shave the learning curve.

Bottom line is if someone wants to make a serious go of it in the field of financial trading they have to love financial markets. The ins and outs of what makes things move and understanding market psychology. If they're just in it to get rich they'll get swallowed and spit out. Seen it happen to lots of people. I'd say 10-12 years ago I had 15 friends/acquaintances who traded for a living. Of those 2 remain. The 2 who truly have a passion for it. The 2 who were always the most analytical and who live for the fight daily.

• Upvote 3

I’m tryin to come up with a valuation to set a trigger so I can unload shares on Monday. The company seems to be fairly valued at the moment but the hype was obviously due to winning the POT lottery for its symbol. How does one determine the valuation for a symbol?:lol:

Im thinking with the news out their might be some buyers Monday which could drive the stock up some more but I expect it to come right back down at some point. 

Heres an an article about the company..turns out they’re from Vancouver: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/weekend-unlimited-vancouver-cannabis-company-pot-stock-symbol-1.5002078

19 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Yeah then your limit order, or the remainder of it will cancel at day's end.

My formal schooling is in the area of electronics. It didn't take me long to realize electronics sucks and that I had made a serious vocational error. My story is pretty typical I guess. I had a financial advisor who seemed pretty smart. With my years of experience I can now look back and see he was just a dumb ass salesman (most of them are). As evidenced by the fact he was subsequently banned from the industry by regulators.

I suffered sizable losses and asked myself "why am I paying this dummy to lose my money when I am more than capable of losing it myself?". So I just opened a brokerage account and started reading everything I could on investing. Was a lot of hit and miss in the beginning. But even when I missed I was learning. Meeting the right people along the way certainly helped shave the learning curve.

Bottom line is if someone wants to make a serious go of it in the field of financial trading they have to love financial markets. The ins and outs of what makes things move and understanding market psychology. If they're just in it to get rich they'll get swallowed and spit out. Seen it happen to lots of people. I'd say 10-12 years ago I had 15 friends/acquaintances who traded for a living. Of those 2 remain. The 2 who truly have a passion for it. The 2 who were always the most analytical and who live for the fight daily.

Are you trading within a TFSA? Wondering how the tax implications would work, I’ve read if CRA determines your operating as a business you’ll be taxed as a business. It seems to be quite vague on how they come to that conclusion though. 

14 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Are you trading within a TFSA? Wondering how the tax implications would work, I’ve read if CRA determines your operating as a business you’ll be taxed as a business. It seems to be quite vague on how they come to that conclusion though. 

Although I do a little trading within my TFSA for the most part the answer is no. I would assume they have certain triggers which allow them to declare it's business income. I assume if someone earns more in their TFSA than they do in their regular job that that would do it. Among many other things.

I incorporated something like 13 years ago and conduct nearly all my trading through my corporation. Just file a corporate return every year and pay the corporate rate. Then just pay myself whatever is necessary and pay the personal rate on that. It's pretty hassle free.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HI5 said:

You are correct in that it is pretty vague and leaves it pretty open to the CRAs interpretation of whether or not you are running it as a business.

Basically they will look at your employment (including tax returns) first. As the CRA deems a TFSA a passive investment vehicle they will look at trading frequency within the account, the use of more sophisticated strategies (ones that would be most often used by professional traders), and overall how much time you dedicate to it. Of course all of those factors could be challenged but then you could see lawyer fees eat up any gains.

Personally I have only seen/heard of a few cases.

Edited by Ronaldoescobar
  • Cheers 1

Kicking myself for not getting into C.BOSS at $0.18/share when I added it to my watch list in December. Currently sitting at $0.79/share, it seems like CBD skincare products and edible stocks will be risers this year. 

Ended up re entering JET.V instead :picard: —I’m really enjoying the trading aspect so far, still a lot,to learn and thankfully in the green.

4 hours ago, HI5 said:

Kicking myself for not getting into C.BOSS at $0.18/share when I added it to my watch list in December. Currently sitting at $0.79/share, it seems like CBD skincare products and edible stocks will be risers this year. 

Ended up re entering JET.V instead :picard: —I’m really enjoying the trading aspect so far, still a lot,to learn and thankfully in the green.

Look into FSD Pharma

• Cheers 1

Feb 11 Aurora will release quarterly earnings report.

Have a feeling it will run up until the 10th/morning of the 11th followed by big drop off.

Going to set a sell target price for the morning of the 11th and unload all.

Buy back in once it drops back down to the $7-$8 range.

The risk ..... it may continue to run up post Feb 11

7 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Feb 11 Aurora will release quarterly earnings report.

Have a feeling it will run up until the 10th/morning of the 11th followed by big drop off.

Going to set a sell target price for the morning of the 11th and unload all.

Buy back in once it drops back down to the $7-$8 range.

The risk ..... it may continue to run up post Feb 11

They are reporting before the open on the 11th. If you think it's going to crap and don't want to get caught in a gap, you'd need to sell Friday the 8th before the close.

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

They are reporting before the open on the 11th. If you think it's going to crap and don't want to get caught in a gap, you'd need to sell Friday the 8th before the close.

Right, crap.

I've noticed on previous earning days that the first couple minutes the market opens there's a spike followed by a huuuuge drop. I wonder if I can set my target price to trigger on that brief spike lol

• 1 month later...

Sold Aurora at 10.50 for a profit, of course it climbs to 12+ in the days after and continues to do so.

I secured a large profit, but still sucks seeing what could have been.

Thought about investing in TransAlta last week, didn't do it, they get a big time investor and their stock shoots up 6%. 

Man I need to trust my gut more.

Any recent investments you guys have made that you're liking?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 10:45 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

Sold Aurora at 10.50 for a profit, of course it climbs to 12+ in the days after and continues to do so.

I secured a large profit, but still sucks seeing what could have been.

Thought about investing in TransAlta last week, didn't do it, they get a big time investor and their stock shoots up 6%. 

Man I need to trust my gut more.

Any recent investments you guys have made that you're liking?

Got back into Aurora yesterday at 11.81. 

Sucks that I initially sold 2 weeks ago when my price per share was lower, but I also made a killer profit so I can't complain. 

Had a feeling after reading some news and some contracts awarded yesterday that aurora could see close to 15 soon.