The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

I love stocks, but that's not the only thing I love. I'm thinking of starting investing in my own business right now. Want to test a few nice business ideas. I read useful info about pic, mvp and prototype here https://spdload.com/blog/poc-vs-prototype-vs-mvp/ . It's a great way to reduce all risks before starting new business.

Edited by luckyjack

6 hours ago, luckyjack said:

I love stocks, but that's not the only thing I love. I'm thinking of starting investing in my own business right now. Want to test a few nice business ideas. I read useful info about pic, mvp and prototype here https://spdload.com/blog/poc-vs-prototype-vs-mvp/ . It's a great way to reduce all risks before starting new business.

What’s ya burn rate and idea? Let’s make some money

7 hours ago, luckyjack said:

Some impressive concepts and stats in your link. 

I started and ran a number of businesses in my career but never did a ground up product development. My businesses all centered around consumer services. The market was there it was only a question of how much market share I could take and the profitability of that revenue. Running budgets to determine costs were my bread and butter. It was always about the cash flow and margin. Always consider your exit strategy even if you postpone it. 

Once I sold my operating businesses I transitioned into stock investing. I have always loved the liquidity in the markets compared to owning hard assets and trying to sell those. I also like the idea of 'partnering' with some pretty smart people when I buy the stock in their companies. My real home run has been getting in early on the Brookfield group. Also forgot that I was in very early on Buffet's Berkshire. 

If you move forward on your company good luck. If the cash flow allows start contributing to an investment account. Invest in blue chip dividend payers. You can build a

separate cash flow from your business.   

On 1/17/2020 at 4:47 AM, luckyjack said:

On 1/17/2020 at 12:15 PM, Boudrias said:

Some impressive concepts and stats in your link. 

I started and ran a number of businesses in my career but never did a ground up product development. My businesses all centered around consumer services. The market was there it was only a question of how much market share I could take and the profitability of that revenue. Running budgets to determine costs were my bread and butter. It was always about the cash flow and margin. Always consider your exit strategy even if you postpone it. 

Once I sold my operating businesses I transitioned into stock investing. I have always loved the liquidity in the markets compared to owning hard assets and trying to sell those. I also like the idea of 'partnering' with some pretty smart people when I buy the stock in their companies. My real home run has been getting in early on the Brookfield group. Also forgot that I was in very early on Buffet's Berkshire. 

If you move forward on your company good luck. If the cash flow allows start contributing to an investment account. Invest in blue chip dividend payers. You can build a

separate cash flow from your business.   

I found budgeting for multiple years became a very accurate forecaster. It made me very leery about the impact of AI in all facets of life where data can establish trends.  

Amazon with one of the most impressive quarters I've ever seen. Earnings of $6.47/share vs estimates of $4.11.

How on Earth does a company the size of Amazon ($930 billion) beat earnings by 57%. Truly impressive.

Don't think I have ever seen a mega cap company beat by that much. RIP short sellers.

9 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Amazon with one of the most impressive quarters I've ever seen. Earnings of $6.47/share vs estimates of $4.11.

How on Earth does a company the size of Amazon ($930 billion) beat earnings by 57%. Truly impressive.

Don't think I have ever seen a mega cap company beat by that much. RIP short sellers.

Really upset with my Amazon experience. I got stopped out last spring on 3/4 of my holdings. Bought back in at a half allocation and thought I would have another crack at 

$1700. That ship has sailed. Bezos is scary smart. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AV's Coin said:

buying opportunity?

I have set up to buy on a 10% correction this spring but the corona virus has thrown a wrench into things. Most of the people I read called for a H2 rally in anticipation of a Trump re-election. My gold is up but not as much as expected. I hold my long holds and use the cash flow to add to positions. 

I do do expect a worse case scenario within 2-4 years when a full blown debt crisis happens. My question now is whether the corona virus morphs into the anticipated debt crisis. GDP drops will threaten businesses and thusly jobs. Lack of spending kills more jobs. A solid correction would be 15% more than that ??? So much a confidence game. I will wait and build cash.

2 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

buying opportunity?

Depends on what you're looking to buy and what your time frame is.

Anyway you slice it, this is an absolutely brutal drop in what was a pretty complacent market.

The S&P has re-entered the previous range which was capped at 3035 for some 5 months. If it can't get back above that range it's bad news.

es.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Depends on what you're looking to buy and what your time frame is.

Anyway you slice it, this is an absolutely brutal drop in what was a pretty complacent market.

The S&P has re-entered the previous range which was capped at 3035 for some 5 months. If it can't get back above that range it's bad news.

es.jpg

I actually started this thread years ago but quickly got out of all stocks so I could preserve a down payment for a house which I bought. Just completing a reno and will be renting out a suite so some money will be coming in.

Now I am starting to research and look into stocks again. Will start my maxing out my TFSA so this will be long term investng and holding. I am thinking of finding some good stocks with high yields... even just canadian bank stocks and leave it in there for a long time and reinvest the dividends on dips or automatically if possible.

Or some high growth stocks?.... Not sure yet lol! But need to start a base.

Edited by AV's Coin

30 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

I actually started this thread years ago but quickly got out of all stocks so I could preserve a down payment for a house which I bought. Just completing a reno and will be renting out a suite so some money will be coming in.

Now I am starting to research and look into stocks again. Will start my maxing out my TFSA so this will be long term investng and holding. I am thinking of finding some good stocks with high yields... even just canadian bank stocks and leave it in there for a long time and reinvest the dividends on dips or automatically if possible.

Or some high growth stocks?.... Not sure yet lol! But need to start a base.

Congrats on getting into the housing market. Rather than picking individual stocks have you considered buying ETF's of the indexes or certain sectors? Perhaps a Canadian bank ETF?

28 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Any particular stocks to watch for buying opportunities?

Canadian bank stocks have historically done well, Futz's recommendation of a Canadian bank ETF is probably a good bet to rebound in the long run (BMO's ZWB ETF would fall into this category), management fees are something to consider though, you are likely looking at 0.5-0.7% in fees for those ETFs. In the past I have just held a couple of the big banks on their own (TD, BMO, etc) to save on the management fees, but I am far from an expert.

• Cheers 1

I believe the market put in at least a temporary bottom today. Volume on S&P futures was a massive 5.5 million contracts. That's the most I have ever seen. A lot of days in the doldrums it barely cracks 1 million. Today the market held the October low of 2855 early on and then mega jammed the close to 2970. Running about 3% in the last 15 minutes. Up a further 20 points in after hours trade.

Only question is can it break above the top of the old range at 3035. If the Federal Reserve cuts 1/4 or 1/2 points, it'll blast through that no problem.

Good luck in the markets everyone.

es.jpg

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1