The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

9 minutes ago, inane said:

BAM.A

BPY.UN

Both dropped like mad but are very solid long term.

Hope your right I own both. Went into Brookfield early as a alternative asset manager and it was going great. Now their debt is creating some concern. I have to think it is mega oversold. They have cash and credit enough to make some major buys. It is crazy what is going on. 

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Wasn't directed specifically at you, but good on you.

We're ignorant short sighted animals unfortunately. Hopefully this is a wake up call to some folks on a great many things.

Oh I didn't think you were directing it at me in particular but I do want to shop more local, always try and go to the little veggie markets in the summer when things are open, I don't mind spendnig a few more bucks and its nicer knowing it goes to my neighbour rather than some dude raking in billions with lawyers figuring out how they can dodge taxes.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Could be as markets will dive on almost any negative news. I bought a little JNJ this morning.

How long does it take you for a trade to go through? I made a transfer on my WS late February and it didn't take effect until March 10. I dunno if that's the algorithm deciding that or what. 

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

How long does it take you for a trade to go through? I made a transfer on my WS late February and it didn't take effect until March 10. I dunno if that's the algorithm deciding that or what. 

Usually I trade at market price but qtrade is demanding I enter a ‘limit’ price. I guess with markets so volatile market prices varied hugely. Trades are almost instantaneous on market trades. This morning my JNJ trade took about 5 minutes.

When I transfer money from my bank to my trading account it usually takes 3-4 days to see it come to the trading account. I kinda like that as it gives me time for sober 2nd thought.

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

If you are sending a marketable order ex) a market order (don't do that, ever) or a limit order which is immediately marketable. It should execute and report your fill before you can lift your finger off your enter key or send button.

One that crosses the offer. For example the stock is bid $20.74 and offered $20.76. You can send a limit order to buy at $20.78. You will probably get filled at $20.76 or no worse than $20.78. Or you won't get filled. If your broker offers it you could tag that order with an FOK "fill or kill" instruction. It will either fill instantly or cancel immediately.

Sending a limit order in this fashion will act as a market order but with price certainty.

Whenever I send a wire to my broker it typically shows up in 2-3 hours. Which is pretty impressive considering it goes from my bank in Victoria, to the wire desk in Toronto, to the intermediary bank (wherever), To my broker, and then credited to my account.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Well, what I do is transfer money between institutions (CIBC and WS) and it tells me it can take x days for it to be finalized. After that it's out of my hands. 

How are you transferring it? Are you sending a wire or an ETF electronic fund transfer?

there hasn't been 2 green days in a row since the crash... It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few hours. Below is a TSX/SP500 composite index etc (ZCN).. I don't see that upward trend continuing without another drop off... which I think I will use to buy in. Was Friday the bottom though?

image.png.d28c4316f000d6b1a386ea15d1169d98.png

EDIT: I'll also add that I wouldn't be surprised if the USA is supressing the numbers (could do it by limiting available tests) to buffer COVID's effect on the market.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

20 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

there hasn't been 2 green days in a row since the crash... It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few hours. Below is a TSX/SP500 composite index etc (ZCN).. I don't see that upward trend continuing without another drop off... which I think I will use to buy in. Was Friday the bottom though?

image.png.d28c4316f000d6b1a386ea15d1169d98.png

EDIT: I'll also add that I wouldn't be surprised if the USA is supressing the numbers (could do it by limiting available tests) to buffer COVID's effect on the market.

I agree. A little bit of euphoria because of the bailout bill. When the full extent of the economic damage hits it will cause another drop. Trump is taking some overly simplistic criticism for targeting April 15th as a ‘restart’ of the American economy. Although it has never totally shutdown I do question how much latitude the USA has in continuing a massive shutdown. It might sound insensitive but taken within best practices they might have to reboot. 

I have ave been threw many of these pullbacks in the markets. Never seen a virus as the cause. It will cause much harm but it too will pass. I will wait to month end and do a full review. I have stocks that I have ‘lusted’ after for decades which will be on my list. 

Happy hunting.

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

When are Q1 earnings released?

It varies from company to company, but it's still weeks away. Q1 isn't even over yet.

I wouldn't worry about trying to be so precise on predicting the bottom, it's more about figuring out when signs of recovery start to emerge - and I don't think we're there yet.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

When are Q1 earnings released?

Alcoa typically kicks off earnings season. They report April 15th.

The real information will be gleaned from the earnings conference calls.

Edited by nuckin_futz