The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

On 3/24/2020 at 12:36 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Well, what I do is transfer money between institutions (CIBC and WS) and it tells me it can take x days for it to be finalized. After that it's out of my hands. 

Are you sending money from WS to your bank account at CIBC (ie a sell) or transferring to a brokerage account? If a sell it would be quicker although some funds trade T+3 (although n ETFs that shouldn’t be the case). Transfers however can take quite a bit longer. Some of my clients institutions take up to 6 weeks to transfer (in-kind or in-cash) which imo is ridiculous but I have seen it many times. 

57 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Big down turn in the last 30 mins of trading.. hopefully that continues into tomorrow

The fighting over the coronavirus bill in the US has ramped up

Wed 25 Mar 2020 19:42:52 GMT

It could be delayed

This has been brewing over the past few hours and it looks like there is a real chance of delay:

Sen. Bernie Sanders announces he will place hold over coronavirus bill -- & demand new restrictions on $500 billion fund for corporations -- unless 3 Republican Senators drop their objections to unemployment insurance expansions
This story is getting some traction now and weighing on US stocks.
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

The fighting over the coronavirus bill in the US has ramped up

Wed 25 Mar 2020 19:42:52 GMT

It could be delayed

This has been brewing over the past few hours and it looks like there is a real chance of delay:

Sen. Bernie Sanders announces he will place hold over coronavirus bill -- & demand new restrictions on $500 billion fund for corporations -- unless 3 Republican Senators drop their objections to unemployment insurance expansions
This story is getting some traction now and weighing on US stocks.

good.

Honestly, writing blank cheques to corporations is what doomed the 2008 recovery to failure by kicking the can down the road

17 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I feel like with the stimulus announcements the stocks are all on the rise big time and I missed my chance at a low entry.

Am I wrong? I hope I'm wrong.

Air Canada

Arc Resources

Vermillion Energy

Chorus Aviation

These are the 4 I'm hoping to win on during Covid.

They're all up HUGE.

Afraid I missed the opportunity. Wait for a dip if it happens, or buy in now and hope it continues to rise? I know you should never buy on an upswing but..tempting 

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I feel like with the stimulus announcements the stocks are all on the rise big time and I missed my chance at a low entry.

Am I wrong? I hope I'm wrong.

It's a gamble either way.. impossible to predict the bottom 

The record breaking unemployment claims is worrisome for me that the volatility isn't over

Stocks move higher despite surge in jobless claims

image.png.bb58a0616914733f3412639570266b7c.png

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Air Canada

Arc Resources

Vermillion Energy

Chorus Aviation

They're all up HUGE.

Afraid I missed the opportunity. Wait for a dip if it happens, or buy in now and hope it continues to rise? I know you should never buy on an upswing but..tempting 

I bought in AC.  Was looking at ciniplex as well.   Royal Caribbean and Boeing are the 3 I’m looking at!

they may be on the upwards trend at the moment, however, even if you bought it now 

you’ll still be in the green 5 months from now!  

5 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Air Canada

Arc Resources

Vermillion Energy

Chorus Aviation

They're all up HUGE.

I'd say this is momentary honestly.  The issue with the feds throwing money at an issue is that there's literally zero consumer confidence behind it right now.  Markets come out, terrible.  Earnings will be out.  Terrible.  Corporations are not investing right now let alone spending.  That literally means any increase is on the backs of the government and effectively on the taxpayers.

Once the US starts dying in their thousands every day which is almost inevitable; these momentary increases will absolutely flatline

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'd say this is momentary honestly.  The issue with the feds throwing money at an issue is that there's literally zero consumer confidence behind it right now.  Markets come out, terrible.  Earnings will be out.  Terrible.  Corporations are not investing right now let alone spending.  That literally means any increase is on the backs of the government and effectively on the taxpayers.

Once the US starts dying in their thousands every day which is almost inevitable; these momentary increases will absolutely flatline

I thought the same but their total cases is continuing to climb by ~10k per day and the market hasn't had a negative response to that.. yet. I am still all cash waiting for the next dip but fear I may have missed it. Logic says a pull back is due but who really knows (and it is soooo hard to stay patient when you see the index climb 6% per day). The US administration will stop at nothing for a "healthy" market.

Just now, I.Am.Ironman said:

I thought the same but their total cases is continuing to climb by ~10k per day and the market hasn't had a negative response to that.. yet. I am still all cash waiting for the next dip but fear I may have missed it. Logic says a pull back is due but who really knows (and it is soooo hard to stay patient when you see the index climb 6% per day). The US administration will stop at nothing for a "healthy" market.

Same.

I put more cash into my account today.

But haven't put in any orders. 

I'm so choked at not getting into AC at $12 last week. FML

6 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Same.

I am too.  Wife put her foot down on that, another I told you so moment I won't mention to her.  But they're still a good buy in

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I am too.  Wife put her foot down on that, another I told you so moment I won't mention to her.  But they're still a good buy in

2 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I guarantee that if I would have bought AC at $12 it would be $8 today  lol

you guys think they'll drop back sub $15? Or should we hop on now and hope it goes to the 20s?

27 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Same.

17 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I guarantee that if I would have bought AC at $12 it would be $8 today  lol

907874E0-A7D0-4B8A-A8C5-784F66D03B1F.jpeg

Lol, I’m in the same vote as you guys with AC. 

Like someone above mentioned we know it will go higher at some point, so I don’t think it would hurt if you bought now and average down if it does go lower. 

But I am still surprised it continues to climb, sure theirs positive stories about cargo jets, emergency flights and I guess the layoffs save them some cash. I think this is just one stock a lot of people are watching, but at some point people will run out of money and will be selling cause they have too.

Edited by HI5

10 minutes ago, HI5 said:

907874E0-A7D0-4B8A-A8C5-784F66D03B1F.jpeg

Lol, I’m in the same vote as you guys with AC. 

Like someone above mentioned we know it will go higher at some point, so I don’t think it would hurt if you bought now and average down if it does go lower. 

But I am still surprised it continues to climb, sure theirs positive stories about cargo jets, emergency flights and I guess the layoffs save them some cash. I think this is just one stock a lot of people are watching, but at some point people will run out of money and will be selling cause they have too.

When is that screen grab from?

editnvm I see it says March 18. Damn that would've been a nice 2x gain.

Edited by NucksPatsFan