The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

The issue is if prices don't drop.  You'll see more homes/condos hitting the market as people look to cash in.  Which will lead to a further glut of home sales on the market that are not moving.  This will push inventory way up and as prices don't move and neither do houses it will just snowball until it finally starts to come down explosively.  

Prices should have been coming down in conjunction with the lower sales numbers.  But they haven't.  This will be like oil, more supply more production, less purchase less need.  Prices tanked.

Looks like I may want to hold off on putting some of my cash into REITs (even when the market inevitably dips again).

Sold off some of my stocks while this bounce is happening. Rather lock in some of my profits now before the market starts to really respond to the economic data that's coming out now.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I'm not sure I am crossing my fingers now looking at this.  A measured reduction is preferred.  But this looks like a precipitous drop.  20% or more in one shot before people can register what's going on if these doom and gloom projections are to be taken seriously.  That's on the rosier side of things as well.  If the government wasn't coughing up $2k a month we'd already be seeing the start of that.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's not that bad as obviously that has larger repercussions on the overall economy etc.

But I'd take a nice 10% of sale.

42 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I'm hoping it's not that bad as obviously that has larger repercussions on the overall economy etc.

But I'd take a nice 10% of sale.

I'd take 30% as long as it was drawn out over a year or so.  But a lot of doom and gloom people are looking at 20% or more in months and that's a shock we can't take

• Cheers 1

Total US unemployment claims in the last 3-4 weeks has topped 20 million.  Economists expecting a potential 30% Drapers in gross domestic product compared to April-june of last year.  Canada expecting up to 30% as well including 9% alone in march.

Keeping in mind, that if this ends tomorrow; it will be a minimum of 3-4 weeks before life returns to some semblance of normalcy.  

This recession is going to be ugly as hell

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Total US unemployment claims in the last 3-4 weeks has topped 20 million.  Economists expecting a potential 30% Drapers in gross domestic product compared to April-june of last year.  Canada expecting up to 30% as well including 9% alone in march.

Keeping in mind, that if this ends tomorrow; it will be a minimum of 3-4 weeks before life returns to some semblance of normalcy.  

This recession is going to be ugly as hell

A lot of Brookfield, couple of banks, utilities and USA technology. Oh and gold. I am comfortable with that. 

53 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

A lot of Brookfield, couple of banks, utilities and USA technology. Oh and gold. I am comfortable with that. 

US just announced it's business bailout is capped and out of money.  Estimated 11 million small businesses will not survive.

Bailout monies are approaching caps in other avenues as well.

$2.2 trillion spent in less than 2 weeks.  The rally is over

8 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Just to remind people putting their money into the markets, there's a big difference between trading and investing.  

To simplify.... trading is your typical short term buying low and sell high.  You always needs to be on your toes to capitalize.

If you are just investing.... you need to ignore the roller coaster of the current market and just hold.  You don't necessarily need to "time the market", you just need to have realistic expectations and longer-termed view.  Eg. maybe Coca-cola shares may drop even more if you buy now.... but if your goal is to hold for 10-20 years.... this market correct is just a small blip.  Google dropped like 25%.... but if you purchase 5 years ago.... your investments has still doubled. 

Exactly, I am looking for investments, companies that have been in business for a long time and survived tough times.

Investing in fads is a good way to lose money long term.

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

US just announced it's business bailout is capped and out of money.  Estimated 11 million small businesses will not survive.

Bailout monies are approaching caps in other avenues as well.

$2.2 trillion spent in less than 2 weeks.  The rally is over

I continually get the feeling you're eager for failure.

7 minutes ago, inane said:

I continually get the feeling you're eager for failure.

Yes and no.

I'm eager for governments to stop bailing out companies with tax dollars.  I'm eager to see that end.

Companies have mismanaged a huge run since 2008 and have no savings or cash to show for it.  2 bailouts in barely a decade is effectively telling companies that no matter what.  Government will help you when you fail 

I'm very eager for that to end

But I've no stomach for the casualties that will occur from this at all.  A lot of families are going to go more than broke from all this and that's not something I'm happy about at all.

But things need to change.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

Yes and no.

I'm eager for governments to stop bailing out companies with tax dollars.  I'm eager to see that end.

Companies have mismanaged a huge run since 2008 and have no savings or cash to show for it.  2 bailouts in barely a decade is effectively telling companies that no matter what.  Government will help you when you fail 

I'm very eager for that to end

Well, that will essentially be a revolution to our entire system so...yikes.

6 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Exactly, I am looking for investments, companies that have been in business for a long time and survived tough times.

Investing in fads is a good way to lose money long term.

There are reasons why large investors like Warren Buffett and Bill Gates invest in companies that are "boring".  

Companies that Berkshire Hathaway owns or has a huge stake in:  Dairy Queen, Coca-Cola, Procter & Gamble, American Express, GEICO, Costco, etc.... stuff that will more or less continue for decades just earning money in a sustainable manner.  Not a lot of "technology" companies invested by them save for Apple.

Even Bill Gates is the largest single shareholder Canada National Railway.  In fact, only 25% of Bill Gates' wealth is from Microsoft.... the rest of his money is diversified.  

7 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

There are reasons why large investors like Warren Buffett and Bill Gates invest in companies that are "boring".  

Companies that Berkshire Hathaway owns or has a huge stake in:  Dairy Queen, Coca-Cola, Procter & Gamble, American Express, GEICO, Costco, etc.... stuff that will more or less continue for decades just earning money in a sustainable manner.  Not a lot of "technology" companies invested by them save for Apple.

Even Bill Gates is the largest single shareholder Canada National Railway.  In fact, only 25% of Bill Gates' wealth is from Microsoft.... the rest of his money is diversified.  

One of the stocks I own is Abbott labs, they make similac, pediasure, glucerna, pedialyte etc. also all sorts of medical devices.

Been in business since 1888, sure it’s nice that their stock went up 50% in the last 30 days but regardless.

My portfolio is also “boring” Pepsi, cvs, atmos energy, ups etc.

Plus, I like to collect dividends, lot of these hi tech companies don’t pay any.

Who knows where zoom, teledoc, space, Shopify, roku, slack etc. will be in 10 years.

Don’t get me wrong, I bought stocks like these but only for short term, take the profits and run.

9 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Just to remind people putting their money into the markets, there's a big difference between trading and investing.  

To simplify.... trading is your typical short term buying low and sell high.  You always needs to be on your toes to capitalize.

If you are just investing.... you need to ignore the roller coaster of the current market and just hold.  You don't necessarily need to "time the market", you just need to have realistic expectations and longer-termed view.  Eg. maybe Coca-cola shares may drop even more if you buy now.... but if your goal is to hold for 10-20 years.... this market correct is just a small blip.  Google dropped like 25%.... but if you purchase 5 years ago.... your investments has still doubled. 

Yup.

Right now I'm trading. Playing the ups and downs of airlines, oil, etc. Win some lose some.

I'm not touching my investments. Some of the boring investments I own include banks, insurance companies, s&p500 etf, etc. 

8 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

One of the stocks I own is Abbott labs, they make similac, pediasure, glucerna, pedialyte etc. also all sorts of medical devices.

Been in business since 1888, sure it’s nice that their stock went up 50% in the last 30 days but regardless.

My portfolio is also “boring” Pepsi, cvs, atmos energy, ups etc.

Plus, I like to collect dividends, lot of these hi tech companies don’t pay any.

Who knows where zoom, teledoc, space, Shopify, roku, slack etc. will be in 10 years.

Don’t get me wrong, I bought stocks like these but only for short term, take the profits and run.

Yep, just take a look back to see what were the larger players in the technology markets back in 2010... 

Microsoft, Blackberry, Oracle, HP, IBM.  Some of them are still players, but the dynamic has completely changes with the further rise of Google, Amazon, etc.  

Just now, Lancaster said:

Yep, just take a look back to see what were the larger players in the technology markets back in 2010... 

Microsoft, Blackberry, Oracle, HP, IBM.  Some of them are still players, but the dynamic has completely changes with the further rise of Google, Amazon, etc.  

The only tech stock I own is Microsoft, Apple is overpriced a lot but I would own it.

Staying clear of banks and insurance companies, lawsuits will hurt the insurance industry.
Also oil and related stocks, sure dividend is sweet but it doesn’t change the fact that your investment keeps going down.

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

So I should sell SHOP that's currently up 50%??