The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

1 minute ago, inane said:

So I should sell SHOP that's currently up 50%?? 

Ummm....

The content provided on this site is intended for information only to help you make an informed decision regarding your own personal financial circumstances. It does not constitute advice or a personal recommendation and to the fullest extent permitted by law we accept no liability for the information we provide, or for any loss or damage arising from the use of this site by you or anyone else either directly or indirectly. Facts, figures, graphical representations, opinions, statements or any other information relating to investment products or funds (including the tax treatment of such products), markets, indices, or any other relevant financial information is expressed based on our judgement at the time and is subject to change without notice.

:lol:

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Lancaster said:

Ummm....

The content provided on this site is intended for information only to help you make an informed decision regarding your own personal financial circumstances. It does not constitute advice or a personal recommendation and to the fullest extent permitted by law we accept no liability for the information we provide, or for any loss or damage arising from the use of this site by you or anyone else either directly or indirectly. Facts, figures, graphical representations, opinions, statements or any other information relating to investment products or funds (including the tax treatment of such products), markets, indices, or any other relevant financial information is expressed based on our judgement at the time and is subject to change without notice.

:lol:

hahaha. I'm tempted to take the cash and run (we're not talking THAT much)...but the question is then what do I do with it.

6 minutes ago, inane said:

So I should sell SHOP that's currently up 50%?? 

Shopify is extremely overpriced, revenue of 1billion market cap 60x that in USD

P/E ratio is 500plus, stock is worth $300 on a really really good day.

But if people keep buying it will go up like a balloon.
Just like space, lyft, uber, slack and other stocks that were trading at astronomical valuations.

28 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Shopify is extremely overpriced, revenue of 1billion market cap 60x that in USD

P/E ratio is 500plus, stock is worth $300 on a really really good day.

But if people keep buying it will go up like a balloon.
Just like space, lyft, uber, slack and other stocks that were trading at astronomical valuations.

Ya, and up another $40 today lol 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Yes and no.

I'm eager for governments to stop bailing out companies with tax dollars.  I'm eager to see that end.

Companies have mismanaged a huge run since 2008 and have no savings or cash to show for it.  2 bailouts in barely a decade is effectively telling companies that no matter what.  Government will help you when you fail 

I'm very eager for that to end

But I've no stomach for the casualties that will occur from this at all.  A lot of families are going to go more than broke from all this and that's not something I'm happy about at all.

But things need to change.

If government steps in to bail out companies then they should take equity in return. That would be a pretty sobering wake up call. Totally agree that the taxpayer should not be the go to piggy bank. The scale of this is so massive. I am sure there will be another round of aid coming from Congress. Your right that they have had 12 years to set better guidelines. Deflationary environment and a aging demographic is not good for business.    

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If government steps in to bail out companies then they should take equity in return. That would be a pretty sobering wake up call. Totally agree that the taxpayer should not be the go to piggy bank. The scale of this is so massive. I am sure there will be another round of aid coming from Congress. Your right that they have had 12 years to set better guidelines. Deflationary environment and a aging demographic is not good for business.    

Business is where the Conservative in me comes out.  Seeing bailout after bailout for companies is galling, especially when it comes from taxpayers wallets.  These zombie companies, shell companies, sunset companies should ALL be allowed to fail.  Will it be a bad thing?  Yes.  Will people be out of work?  Yes.  Will it shock the business sector in to responsibility though?  Yes.  But the term "too big to fail" was used in 2008 and what we saw was these companies taking tax dollars and rewarding themselves for that bad behaviour.  If these companies have zero worry about a collapsing market, about poor business decisions or about bankruptcy; knowing the government will just fork over cash every time it happens.

They'll literally never ever change,

Here is a great read up on it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkelly/2020/04/13/billionaire-tells-cnbc-that-billion-dollar-bailouts-of-zombie-companies-serve-to-reward-their-bad-behavior/#5e4ff4b5303e

I agree though, if instead of bailouts governments took percentages in companies that would change things damned fast.  There's a large difference between knowing that billions are available at a zero percent repayment or even better.  Vs.  Losing 10% to 20% of your company to a government based on said bailout agreement.

Let them fail or let them pay.  We should not be paying companies for bad behaviour, bad management or just because the market for their products is not favourable to them anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I believe so, going to buy some tomorrow.

Any insight into why you think so?

Only thing I’ve seen is people are thinking of buying cause of some  remdesivir drug that is showing early signs of success. 

Also a potential airline bailout in the states which shouldn’t have an impact on any Canadian companies.

2 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Any insight into why you think so?

Only thing I’ve seen is people are thinking of buying cause of some  remdesivir drug that is showing early signs of success. 

Also a potential airline bailout in the states which shouldn’t have an impact on any Canadian companies.

Gilead stock is going up 16% in pre market trading, there will be optimism on that news.

Partial reopening in some parts of the country, plus airline stocks are at all time low.

The one I am going to buy is near 52 week low so it’s extremely underpriced and well positioned to take off.

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Gilead stock is going up 16% in pre market trading, there will be optimism on that news.

Partial reopening in some parts of the country, plus airline stocks are at all time low.

The one I am going to buy is near 52 week low so it’s extremely underpriced and well positioned to take off.

Care to share with your fellow Canuckleheads? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, inane said:

Didn't sell, now up to 65% :blink:

Crazy times.

Roku went up 337% in 2019 so as long as people keep buying and driving price you hold onto it.

I sold SPCE stock for $40 bucks recently, based on numbers it’s not worth $4 but hey if people want to invest on potential.