The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

Just my opinion, but...

This market's being propped up right now. 

My bond ETF has gone up over 2% over the past 3 days. Central banks buying up all these junk corporate bonds to try and keep our financial sector afloat (Bank of Canada introduced their corporate bond purchase program only 2 days ago).

Bonds are going up at the same time as equity? Something's not right. 

EDIT: forgot to add 1 major caveat. US elections are up this year...Trump's going to do everything he can to get the Feds to make sure the economy looks "in tact" by the time November hits. Arguably, he's already been successful at this, but we'll see how much further it goes. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

48 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Just my opinion, but...

This market's being propped up right now. 

My bond ETF has gone up over 2% over the past 3 days. Central banks buying up all these junk corporate bonds to try and keep our financial sector afloat (Bank of Canada introduced their corporate bond purchase program only 2 days ago).

Bonds are going up at the same time as equity? Something's not right. 

EDIT: forgot to add 1 major caveat. US elections are up this year...Trump's going to do everything he can to get the Feds to make sure the economy looks "in tact" by the time November hits. Arguably, he's already been successful at this, but we'll see how much further it goes. 

you're right.  Every analyst I have been reading is stating the only reason it's up is massive cash infusion from the government.  Once that money runs out that's it.  Until the next infusion.

Like a junkie getting a fix.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I am just itching to pull the trigger but I know it's a week or two early...

Even tho I agree with you I couldn't help myself and bought some GOOGL this morning. I will wait to buy Cdn banks until the re-hit their March lows. 

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Even tho I agree with you I couldn't help myself and bought some GOOGL this morning. I will wait to buy Cdn banks until the re-hit their March lows. 

was debating long term with cruise ships but the first round of lawsuits are starting and that's a big nope from me.  Won't touch Disney either for a little while as they're included due to their cruise line

I decided to move my investments to the guy who manages my wife's family's finances (very wealthy family). He has a $1 million minimum but has allowed me to come on as part of the family. 

I really enjoy the fact his firm actively manages portfolios through the purchases and sales of stocks and not just a "set it and forget it" mutual fund company like AGF or Fidelity or whatever. 

Still kept 10k cash in my questrade for my personal enjoyment to short term trade on my hunches. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

you're right.  Every analyst I have been reading is stating the only reason it's up is massive cash infusion from the government.  Once that money runs out that's it.  Until the next infusion.

Like a junkie getting a fix.

And millennials like me are going to be on the hook for all of this corporate debt. 

I wonder why we don't have money for more important things like oh...you know, affordable housing, extended healthcare, tuition subsidies :rolleyes:

Our bank regulator put new rules on residential mortgage lending a couple of years back. They should probably look into commercial lending and corporate bond limits as well. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

For those of you don't have the risk appetite for all of the ongoing uncertainty, just do some dollar cost averaging and put in cash little by little. 

I started that this week. Was getting unsatiable FOMO. Still am to a degree. So I invested 5% in XEG (energy etf) and VGRO (total market etf) just to satisfy the 'itch'. American unemployment is still climbing. All logic points to another pull back. I am still 95% cash so I am going to DCA it down..... if it drops.

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I started that this week. Was getting unsatiable FOMO. Still am to a degree. So I invested 5% in XEG (energy etf) and VGRO (total market etf) just to satisfy the 'itch'. American unemployment is still climbing. All logic points to another pull back. I am still 95% cash so I am going to DCA it down..... if it drops.

Yep. Be prepared to see the investments you placed now in the red if (most likely will) the pullback occurs, but in the long run you should be good to go. 

47 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Yep. Be prepared to see the investments you placed now in the red if (most likely will) the pullback occurs, but in the long run you should be good to go. 

That's the plan. At the moment I am wanting them to go into the red (for the short term). But who really knows what is going to happen. I have my eye on US health care companies (ZUH) and canadian banks for the next dip. I think the banks will continue a decline into the later parts of this year though. No one is buying mortgages and they may  be losing on some loans.

32 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

That's the plan. At the moment I am wanting them to go into the red (for the short term). But who really knows what is going to happen. I have my eye on US health care companies (ZUH) and canadian banks for the next dip. I think the banks will continue a decline into the later parts of this year though. No one is buying mortgages and they may  be losing on some loans.

is that BMO's equal weight?

If so been looking as well

40 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Yeah BMOs US health care ETF. Decent MER of 0.35 (I think?) and hedged to cdn dollars.

I'm happy with JNJ and CVS. I have used the HHL etf that is a covered call product and has a nice yield. At these prices I question the value of ETF's when you can buy a blue chip for a long hold. I parked some money in the ZWU utility etf. Covered calls with enhanced yield paid monthly. I did this to up my allocation but not committed long term. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I'm happy with JNJ and CVS. I have used the HHL etf that is a covered call product and has a nice yield. At these prices I question the value of ETF's when you can buy a blue chip for a long hold. I parked some money in the ZWU utility etf. Covered calls with enhanced yield paid monthly. I did this to up my allocation but not committed long term. 

Yeah that makes sense. I am going to buy individual bank stocks over an ETF for the cdn financial sector... when the time comes. BMO has some good ETFs out there. Looking at a dowjones ETF as well to get a piece of the big 30 in the states because i don't have the capital to buy the berkshires, MSFTs, GOOGLs, or AMZNs of the world individually

5 hours ago, HI5 said:

Anyone familiar with Horizon HOU etf? Had someone send it to me, were they really 73000/share in 2008? A crude price index? I have no idea what this is.

I have never heard of it until I looked it up, I do trade stocks every day.

From what I can see it’s super volatile, YTD it’s down 93%, basically trying to figure out which way oil goes.

My advice to investors, do not invest in things that you do not know how they work.

I take same approach with individual stocks, if I can’t explain your product, I will not invest.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

I have never heard of it until I looked it up, I do trade stocks every day.

From what I can see it’s super volatile, YTD it’s down 93%, basically trying to figure out which way oil goes.

My advice to investors, do not invest in things that you do not know how they work.

I take same approach with individual stocks, if I can’t explain your product, I will not invest.

If you don’t mind me asking... can you explain day trading.   I’m new to this stock game, only recently investing.  (Wish I did it years ago :()

I feel it’s like Black Friday across the board in regards to stocks.  

do you buy stocks, wait for it to climb a bit and immediately sell it? Rinse and repeat?

thanks!