The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

18 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe capital gains from US holdings in a TFSA are tax free. However, dividends from US holdings in a TFSA still come with a 15% withholding tax, but you never see it because the dividends you actually receive include the tax hit. 

This answers my question, thank you!

1 minute ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Tomorrow Draftkings IPO launches..

Thoughts ? I think I will be putting around $5000 CAD into it. I have a vested interest in the site and am personally looking forward to owning shares in something I have a passion in.

I think IF it's reasonable sure, but understand full well there will be no action on any betting line for at least 5 more months therefore their IPO will start at X but will inevitably sink

12 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Free tip to all you cool cats and kittens..

INSE could pop tomorrow.

Just approved to do the official virtual Kentucky Derby... Would be an in and out strategy for me...

Could you help some brothers and sisters out and post some Canadian stock tips ;)

3 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

@Boudrias do you trade RDS.A or RDS.B? Does it matter? From what I have read one is subject to netherlands law and the other to UK but both trade on the NYSE.

RDS.B has a UK dividend which has no with holding tax which the Dutch did have with the RDS.A. It was supposed to be done away with in 2019 as the Dutch were dropping their tax. The USA with holds 15% on dividends but that is recoverable when taxes are filed. I feel good about this holding but early on yet. I am expecting a double within 1 to 1 1/2 years. 

My big adventure in oil is that I did not sell SDX Energy when it relocated to the LON exchange over a year ago. Now trades in pounds. Cost for a trade would be roughly $250. Just got a note this morning that they tapped another gas well in Egypt. Some C-19 shut ins but that should be short lived. Gas & oil in Egypt and gas in Moracco. My nephew says he isn't going back northern BC to drill gas when C-19 shutdown ends. Fed up with the feds. He is a high end driller and will head to Saudi Arabia to work. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

RDS.B has a UK dividend which has no with holding tax which the Dutch did have with the RDS.A. It was supposed to be done away with in 2019 as the Dutch were dropping their tax. The USA with holds 15% on dividends but that is recoverable when taxes are filed. I feel good about this holding but early on yet. I am expecting a double within 1 to 1 1/2 years. 

My big adventure in oil is that I did not sell SDX Energy when it relocated to the LON exchange over a year ago. Now trades in pounds. Cost for a trade would be roughly $250. Just got a note this morning that they tapped another gas well in Egypt. Some C-19 shut ins but that should be short lived. Gas & oil in Egypt and gas in Moracco. My nephew says he isn't going back northern BC to drill gas when C-19 shutdown ends. Fed up with the feds. He is a high end driller and will head to Saudi Arabia to work. 

So you hold RDS.B over .A?

Hopefully that isn't a trend for skilled labourers. It is important for national and provincial industry to keep home grown talent. Why is he fed up with the gov and jumping ship? I imagine there is boat loads of $$$ to make in SA... is it worth the move though?

4 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

So you hold RDS.B over .A?

Hopefully that isn't a trend for skilled labourers. It is important for national and provincial industry to keep home grown talent. Why is he fed up with the gov and jumping ship? I imagine there is boat loads of $$$ to make in SA... is it worth the move though?

I own the B shares.

Pipeline issues is the biggest issue. It is affecting capital spending plans. Overseas pays in USD. I don't know the detail of his talks. 

What many Canadians don't realize is the number of high tech oil workers who have moved to Dallas and Houston. Leduc had a industry financed research center that developed leading edge tech which is used around the world. 

21 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I own the B shares.

Pipeline issues is the biggest issue. It is affecting capital spending plans. Overseas pays in USD. I don't know the detail of his talks. 

What many Canadians don't realize is the number of high tech oil workers who have moved to Dallas and Houston. Leduc had a industry financed research center that developed leading edge tech which is used around the world. 

why would you expect anything else when Encana hires a Texan to lead the company? He's the one that bled the resources to Texas, but you guys keep blaming Trudeau :picard: Other smaller players followed suit. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why would you expect anything else when Encana hires a Texan to lead the company? He's the one that bled the resources to Texas, but you guys keep blaming Trudeau :picard: Other smaller players followed suit. 

Ironically, the same guy that bought them a pipeline ('the biggest issue') :lol:

You can't even debate this level of cognitive dissonance.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 4/24/2020 at 12:37 PM, Boudrias said:

I own the B shares.

On 4/24/2020 at 1:00 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

I wasn't even talking about Encana or any specific company for that matter. Yes, I blame JT for a lot of the energy industry problems. The fact that you do not doesn't surprise me. Justin could take a dump in your Corn Flakes and you would twist a positive outlook. 

• Like 2

I was thinking of opening a position in Enbridge, about 200 shares. 

Super strong blue-chip company with consistent growth and an 8% dividend, with regular increases. 

Will purchase and hold for minimum of 1 year and most likely much longer. 

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I wasn't even talking about Encana or any specific company for that matter. Yes, I blame JT for a lot of the energy industry problems. The fact that you do not doesn't surprise me. Justin could take a dump in your Corn Flakes and you would twist a positive outlook. 

sure. Dump in the cornflakes. 

What control does Trudeau have over global oil prices? or companies like Encana letting the fox in the henhouse. Its guys like you that misplace blame and still invest in companies like Encana, or wish you still could, thats the problem. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

I was thinking of opening a position in Enbridge, about 200 shares. 

Super strong blue-chip company with consistent growth and an 8% dividend, with regular increases. 

Will purchase and hold for minimum of 1 year and most likely much longer. 

I have owned ENB for years. My full weighting in a stock is 5% but I keep ENB at 

3.5% because of the hydrocarbon exposure. Line 3 & 5 will get done and they still have a decent book of capital projects. I also own TRP. 

Debt can always become an issue if debt markets cease up.  

Edited by Boudrias
  • Cheers 1