The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

damn , you are just so very wrong .. I live in argentina .. its corrupt , poor and going down the venezuelan tube faster than you can say communist .... nzan I just gotta call b.s with what you've said here ... what a load of garbage

i've not followed your posts very carefully over the past years, but i'd give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not the type of person who sees everything negatively simply because they don't have the cajones to stop complaining, get off their butt and move their life forward...

so i'm not sure why we would see things so differently. perhaps you are looking at a shorter length of time than i've considered? the friend i'd referenced above is here with me and agreed that perhaps looking at a 5 year span one could see things as worse than at that point. but certainly with a 10 year span or longer (I lived there just before the crash of 2001) the country is in an entirely different place economically.

i lived in a poor part of the city of Rosario and now when I visit the people have generally improved their lives dramatically. so on the one hand I guess I'm just speaking from my own experience. on the other hand though, the friend I've spoken of is an accountant who has improved his life dramatically, has helped hundreds of people improve their lives dramatically and would agree with my take on how the country has changed over that timespan.

So you guys think we have hit the bottom? An internal report I was privy to from one of the major banks says we are near bottom.

What do you guys think?

Bottom?

We are just creeping up to the edge of the cliff.

An internal report from a BANK is the last place you should be basing your opinion on that from.

We had one minor correction last month, just the tip of the iceberg and a sign of things to come.

Edited by RRypien37

i've not followed your posts very carefully over the past years, but i'd give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not the type of person who sees everything negatively simply because they don't have the cajones to stop complaining, get off their butt and move their life forward...

so i'm not sure why we would see things so differently. perhaps you are looking at a shorter length of time than i've considered? the friend i'd referenced above is here with me and agreed that perhaps looking at a 5 year span one could see things as worse than at that point. but certainly with a 10 year span or longer (I lived there just before the crash of 2001) the country is in an entirely different place economically.

i lived in a poor part of the city of Rosario and now when I visit the people have generally improved their lives dramatically. so on the one hand I guess I'm just speaking from my own experience. on the other hand though, the friend I've spoken of is an accountant who has improved his life dramatically, has helped hundreds of people improve their lives dramatically and would agree with my take on how the country has changed over that timespan.

its so bad here right now . honestly . so many people feel so little hope for the future of the country . there is an issue here with a lack of ethic and moral guidance system . The only way for this country to get out from underneath it , is to start teaching those values to the children going to school here at a young age . All they see is corruption . socially , and at almost every level of business and government . I wish it wasn't so . The people here deserve better

The thread is only just over a month old...

Thats a big problem some people have. Investing takes time to make big money. Years. Decades. People expecting to get rich quick are gonna be disappointed. The big money makers like Gates and Buffet are long term investors. The dont let short term fluctuations get in the way of long term strategy.

To those predicting a financial cliff... This prediction is constant. My entire life Ive heard it being preached as always right around the corner. It never happens. Corrections happen and the stock market rebounds. That is all. Change is slow and incremental not one day to the next wham bam. Boring yes but true.Wanna know who lost their shirt in the 2008 "Crash"? Those who were not willing or able to hang in there for the turnaround.Those that stuck it out rode a huge wave up in the following years.

Thats a big problem some people have. Investing takes time to make big money. Years. Decades. People expecting to get rich quick are gonna be disappointed. The big money makers like Gates and Buffet are long term investors. The dont let short term fluctuations get in the way of long term strategy.

To those predicting a financial cliff... This prediction is constant. My entire life Ive heard it being preached as always right around the corner. It never happens. Corrections happen and the stock market rebounds. That is all. Change is slow and incremental not one day to the next wham bam. Boring yes but true.Wanna know who lost their shirt in the 2008 "Crash"? Those who were not willing or able to hang in there for the turnaround.Those that stuck it out rode a huge wave up in the following years.

You're joking right?

Also, you don't have to be a value investor to make money from the stock market.

There are plenty of swing and day traders who make a killing.

Edited by RRypien37

its so bad here right now . honestly . so many people feel so little hope for the future of the country . there is an issue here with a lack of ethic and moral guidance system . The only way for this country to get out from underneath it , is to start teaching those values to the children going to school here at a young age . All they see is corruption . socially , and at almost every level of business and government . I wish it wasn't so . The people here deserve better

i'll definitely agree that the systemic corruption I saw in Argentina was unbelievably disheartening.

Bottom?

We are just creeping up to the edge of the cliff.

An internal report from a BANK is the last place you should be basing your opinion on that from.

We had one minor correction last month, just the tip of the iceberg and a sign of things to come.

Actually the stock market has been going down steadily since summer of 2014.

So you guys think we have hit the bottom? An internal report I was privy to from one of the major banks says we are near bottom.

What do you guys think?

It really depends, the election actually plays a major role.

Our market is heavily influenced by out of country investment. Foreign investors want to make sure that their investments is safe and maximizing the greatest return possible.

An NDP win would be catastrophic to the markets, higher corporate tax rate (less profits) is not something stakeholders want to see. Most investors would pull out and look elsewhere to invest. TSX dropped big after NDP won in just Alberta. Many of the investors have pulled out and are waiting for the provincial NDP to release their budget before the decide what to do with their funds.

Conservatives would probably cause a rise to the TSX right off the bat due to people once again investing, (no more uncertainty or concern if NDP wins)

Liberals would also probably cause a rise, banks like deficits. Deficits lead to higher bond yields and a lower Canadian dollar, a lower Canadian dollar translates into more foreign investments. As long as Liberal follow through on their plan and don’t raise corp tax, Liberal’s also would have a positive on the stock market.

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

Actually the stock market has been going down steadily since summer of 2014.

It's no surprise with the drop of oil.

Until late last month. NYSE and TSX have been going up since then.

There still isn't enough volume moving right now to determine if we've turned the corner. Things are still to volatile. Although the announcement of TPP was a good start, my PA account reflected nicely.

It really depends, the election actually plays a major role.

Our market is heavily influenced by out of country investment. Foreign investors want to make sure that their investments is safe and maximizing the greatest return possible.

An NDP win would be catastrophic to the markets, higher corporate tax rate (less profits) is not something stakeholders want to see. Most investors would pull out and look elsewhere to invest. TSX dropped big after NDP won in just Alberta. Many of the investors have pulled out and are waiting for the provincial NDP to release their budget before the decide what to do with their funds.

Conservatives would probably cause a rise to the TSX right off the bat due to people once again investing, (no more uncertainty or concern if NDP wins)

Liberals would also probably cause a rise, banks like deficits. Deficits lead to higher bond yields and a lower Canadian dollar, a lower Canadian dollar translates into more foreign investments. As long as Liberal follow through on their plan and don’t raise corp tax, Liberal’s also would have a positive on the stock market.

A terrorist attack would be catastrophic. For investors from China and the Middle East (if that's what you are referring to by 'foreign'), they wouldn't give 2 crap about what the governing party is. It's all capitalism and democracy and stable politics for them.

A terrorist attack would be catastrophic. For investors from China and the Middle East (if that's what you are referring to by 'foreign'), they wouldn't give 2 crap about what the governing party is. It's all capitalism and democracy and stable politics for them.

Investors do care and they are closely watching. It's hard to obtain funds right now (I come from a family of asset management). Big and small players are waiting on the election before they make their choices. They want to maximize full return on their investment, raising corp taxes takes away from their profits. Profit is what they care about, not Canada's social programs. Anyone in the industry (not just someone managing their own PA account) knows this. Don't believe me. Go ask a CFA or PM with a fund over 50 million. If you want I can give you a list of people to contact.

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat