The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

16 minutes ago, NickTheGreek said:

I'm loving this thread. So much so that this has become my TFSA in the last several days:

tfsa.JPG.3b008bc1cad1351c2b03fca8803e9214.JPG

Thinking of taking more risk and replacing BMO with something else. Any ideas?

You've made some $$$ if you got in by last thursday!!!

Jumped into VTIQ and now up with a good 25% gain.  Just wondering when to exit.  

Had lots of experience of exiting a position before the stock skyrockets... (bought Canopy at $3, but left at $9... got WTN at $2, left at $4... but it got bought out for $15, etc).

Now if only my JR West did better (purchased right before the corona virus outbreak) :sadno:

4 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Jumped into VTIQ and now up with a good 25% gain.  Just wondering when to exit.  

Had lots of experience of exiting a position before the stock skyrockets... (bought Canopy at $3, but left at $9... got WTN at $2, left at $4... but it got bought out for $15, etc).

Now if only my JR West did better (purchased right before the corona virus outbreak) :sadno:

Aurora blew up 10x over the last 5 days too, this timing and watching is madness isn't it?

4 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I think Aurora was due to a reversed-split.  I believe 9 for 1 or something.  

That's correct yes, it's why I am watching RTTR for the 14th and so interested in VTIQ.  IF there is a retraction for VTIQ to even $21 I am buying.  Sadly, I am only playing with $5k currently but every 10% is one step closer to new boobs for my wife and a hawaii trip.

She doesn't know about either yet so shhhh

Edit** I am kicking myself hard over this TD WebBroker issue.  Do not use this platform...ever

Edited by Warhippy
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That's correct yes, it's why I am watching RTTR for the 14th and so interested in VTIQ.  IF there is a retraction for VTIQ to even $21 I am buying.  Sadly, I am only playing with $5k currently but every 10% is one step closer to new boobs for my wife and a hawaii trip.

She doesn't know about either yet so shhhh

Edit** I am kicking myself hard over this TD WebBroker issue.  Do not use this platform...ever

Just say it's also for her own safety, lol.  

Just now, Lancaster said:

Just say it's also for her own safety, lol.  

:towel:

This is amazing.

Luckily I'm just joking, got a gal approaching 40 who literally looks 25.  But I am so going to forward this to her...just in case

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I'll be moving in to something else.  Took a full day due to an outage to access my account, then the purchases I made yesterday didn't actually go through at all.

Is it worth waiting for a retraction....

I use Qtrade at 6.99 per trade. I looked at Questrade and it has some good capabilities. Stayed with Qtrade as i don't want to use leverage or hedging. When I transfer money into the account it usually take 2-3 days before I can actually use it. 

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I use Qtrade at 6.99 per trade. I looked at Questrade and it has some good capabilities. Stayed with Qtrade as i don't want to use leverage or hedging. When I transfer money into the account it usually take 2-3 days before I can actually use it. 

I'm not so concerned about the monet per trade or the timeline from transfer to trade.

But Sunday I put $5k in to my web broker account.  The entire system glitched out, didn't show the money.  Contacted and said "it was an external issue they were working on and they apologized" yesterday morning, no money in account.  Worked out by lunch, already lost a 18% gain.  Made my trades, takes a few hours to show trade posted in account.  This morning, NO trades posted in to account.  Contact, oh sorry we're still having issues.  From yesterday to today at this moment I have lost out on a 57% return

THAT is something I cannot accept at all.  Sluggish, bloated and unreliable.  I have exes that hold that title in my life, I don't expect that from my banking platform.

The worst, is there is a disconnect in time from market share price to purchase price.  BUT, TD seemingly never shows or posts the lower purchase price.  So let's say VTIQ drops to $22 a share, if it's a blip of less than 20 minutes the purchase price will still be $25.70 

I'll be moving over in short order because this is nonsense.

1 hour ago, inane said:

Missed the VTIQ train :(

I think it will come back down.. things that gain 20% per day for 3 days usually see a considerable pull back. I bought at 23.10, an hour later it was close to 25.85. I wouldn't be surprised if it closed today or tomorrow closer to where I bought it

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

You guys pay for trades?

Just now, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think it will come back down.. things that gain 20% per day for 3 days usually see a considerable pull back. I bought at 23.10, an hour later it was close to 25.85. I wouldn't be surprised if it closed today or tomorrow closer to where I bought it

For my current abilities, I need $20.74 max buy in

Here's to hoping we can all make some $$ long term

• Cheers 1

On 5/9/2020 at 2:26 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

I've been in VTIQ since $11.50/share. 

I have every single alert possible regarding VTIQ and NKLA being sent to my phone daily. 

I'm so excited.

I cried a tear of happiness this morning when I checked the ticker 

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Interesting.

Q trade for me is 4.99 for trade and less than a day before funds are in my account. Never the same day, but usually at midnight.

I've been a silent observer here for a while now, but I had to chime in. @AriGold2.0 The VTIQ tip was fantastic. Managed to get in yesterday right when you called the dip @ $18. I am very new to this stock market stuff, still figuring things out, but this thread has been super helpful! Thanks a bunch for everyone's contributions.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1