Group B

Finland

Russia

Sweden

NA Young Stars

Preliminary Round (round robin)

Saturday, Sept. 17

Team Europe vs. Team USA, 3:30 p.m.

Team Canada vs. Team Czech Republic, 8 p.m.

Sunday, Sept. 18

Team Russia vs. Team Sweden, 3 p.m.

Team Finland vs. Team North America, 8 p.m.

Monday, Sept. 19

Team Czech Republic vs. Team Europe, 3 p.m.

Team North America vs. Team Russia, 8 p.m.

Tuesday, Sept. 20

Team Finland vs. Team Sweden, 3 p.m.

Team Canada vs. Team USA, 8 p.m.

Wednesday, Sept. 21

Team North America vs. Team Sweden, 3 p.m.

Team Canada vs. Team Europe, 8 p.m.

Thursday, Sept. 22

Team Finland vs. Team Russia, 3 p.m.

Team Czech Republic vs. Team USA, 8 p.m.

Semifinals (single elimination; A1 vs. B2, B1 vs. A2)

Saturday, Sept. 24

Semifinal 1, TBD

Sunday, Sept. 25

Semifinal 2, TBD

Final (best-of-three)

Tuesday, Sept. 27

Final Game 1, 8 p.m.

Thursday, Sept. 29

Final Game 2, 8 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 1

Final Game 3, 7 p.m. (if necessary)

The reason why sports is so fun to watch is because the players are willing to sacrifice themselves for the team. In hockey, this means blocking a 100 MPH slap shot or taking a hit to make a play.

What does team North America or euro stars have to play for? Are they going to try and block shots at all, just before the season starts and risk injury? Are they going to take devastating hits to make the plays or chicken out and give the puck away? Are there going to be a devastating hits at all in this tournament?

They should've kept it as a country vs country competition with a long term vision of eventually making it as reputable as World Cup of soccer. Start with top 8 ranked countries in the world, then try to grow the game by going to the Olympics in Asia (Korea in 18 and China in 22) and hopefully the number of teams can be expanded to 12, 16, then 24 in 20 or 30 years.

The reason why sports is so fun to watch is because the players are willing to sacrifice themselves for the team. In hockey, this means blocking a 100 MPH slap shot or taking a hit to make a play.

What does team North America or euro stars have to play for? Are they going to try and block shots at all, just before the season starts and risk injury? Are they going to take devastating hits to make the plays or chicken out and give the puck away? Are there going to be a devastating hits at all in this tournament?

They should've kept it as a country vs country competition with a long term vision of eventually making it as reputable as World Cup of soccer. Start with top 8 ranked countries in the world, then try to grow the game by going to the Olympics in Asia (Korea in 18 and China in 22) and hopefully the number of teams can be expanded to 12, 16, then 24 in 20 or 30 years.

Agreed. I was just reading this, and glossed over the teams and saw Europe and NA. Once I clued into what they did there, I shook my head. However, I would think that the competitive spirit will be there. For the Euro teams it's not so bad, since they will at least have the best players of those remaining countries where any one country couldn't put up as strong a team.

I don't think this is as good for the development of the NA team, as I believe they would be better served playing with a mix of veterans. I would think that the Canadian and US teams at the least will clobber these poor kids, especially on an (assuming) NHL-sized rink.

But hey, we get fresh new hockey in a little over a week that will give us all something new to talk about, so this is better than nothing.

Agreed. I was just reading this, and glossed over the teams and saw Europe and NA. Once I clued into what they did there, I shook my head. However, I would think that the competitive spirit will be there. For the Euro teams it's not so bad, since they will at least have the best players of those remaining countries where any one country couldn't put up as strong a team.

I don't think this is as good for the development of the NA team, as I believe they would be better served playing with a mix of veterans. I would think that the Canadian and US teams at the least will clobber these poor kids, especially on an (assuming) NHL-sized rink.

But hey, we get fresh new hockey in a little over a week that will give us all something new to talk about, so this is better than nothing.

Great post, but the tourney is 2016 so we have to wait just over a year for it to begin.

North American Under-23 Lines:

RNH - Galchenyuk - MacKinnon

Drouin - McDavid - Eichel

Gaudreau -Monahan - Saad

Scheifele - Couturier - R. Strome

Reinhart

Ekblad - Hamilton

Jones - Trouba

Murray - Reilly

Nurse

Gibson

Fucale

honestly I see the u23 team getting drilled.

If the U23 team is to survive this tournament, they need to start thinking about taking guys like Horvat, Jenner, Couturier and Paquette over more skilled guys. You can trust a skilled guy like Crosby to still be defensively responsible against the best players in the world. Can't say the same thing about guys like Bennett, Gaudreau, Drouin.

Projected Team Canada :

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=778257

Forwards:

Sidney Crosby

John Toews

Ryan Getzlaf

John Tavares

Ryan Johansen

Jamie Benn

Claude Giroux

Taylor Hall

Tyler Seguin