The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

$15 Dollar Minimum Wage is Coming to the US, will Canada Follow?

TOMapleLaughs

Everyone will (and should). If one job was worth more than another in salary/wage prior to the increase, then it should still be worth that much more after.

Perfect, now we just have to hope companies don't somehow account for the fact they are paying all their employees more. Good thing business owners are okay with taking a loss in profits!

Perfect, now we just have to hope companies don't somehow account for the fact they are paying all their employees more. Good thing business owners are okay with taking a loss in profits!

As Hugor says, people will just have more money to spend if everyone's wages increased so prices and the profit ratio would rise as well.

But I'm for a minimum wage increase, just not to this extent. If you can't afford to enforce similar wage and salary increases across other jobs (and I know they can't but have more traditionally tried to have the minimum wage keep up with inflation) then don't make such a huge increase at the bottom end.

As Hugor says, people will just have more money to spend if everyone's wages increased so prices and the profit ratio would rise as well.

But I'm for a minimum wage increase, just not to this extent. If you can't afford to enforce similar wage and salary increases across other jobs (and I know they can't but have more traditionally tried to have the minimum wage keep up with inflation) then don't make such a huge increase at the bottom end.

You guys are incredibly smart. What's the name of your corporation again? I'd love to invest in one that is a bottomless pit of money.

Especially with owners who hate money so much they just give raises just because we iz rich and shuffle money around like shuffling a deck of cards. Sounds like an investor's dream.

Companies will start reducing hours so people can't make their minimum hours to get benefits coverage. Some companies wont let you receive them unless you work 30+ hours a week so I can see alot dropping people from 30 down to 25 so they don't have to pay out that extra benefits. Its a tricky slope, major corporations are in it to make money and they will find a way to make back that extra $4-5 either from the consumer purchasing the products or somehow through their employees. Its a game of cat and mouse which the consumer will never win in unfortunately.

Do I think someone who flips burgers should get paid $15? No I don't. I did it in highschool and for the first bit of college at $8 and knew its a minimum wage job with 0 skills involved so I went to school and got a job that paid more than minimum wage.

You guys are incredibly smart. What's the name of your corporation again? I'd love to invest in one that is a bottomless pit of money.

Especially with owners who hate money so much they just give raises just because we iz rich and shuffle money around like shuffling a deck of cards. Sounds like an investor's dream.

You are so smart what's the name of your corporation?? Oh wait? You are a salaried employee like most people... if you even have a job at all since you spend your whole life in CDC.

If your gonna dream dream big

Or they will just reduce the hours available and demand more from fewer employee with less time, any bets on how it pans out?

Spot on, I worked in the retail grocery industry for close to 20 years and when the wages go up or it is a slow time of the year sales wise like from mid Jan to after Easter the hrs get cut and the senior employees have to sometimes do the work of two.

Spot on, I worked in the retail grocery industry for close to 20 years and when the wages go up or it is a slow time of the year sales wise like from mid Jan to after Easter the hrs get cut and the senior employees have to sometimes do the work of two.

That's just greedy rich people trying to make money. They profit even more when they have to pay more in labour costs. It's simple math.. less money for the business = more consumer purchasing power = more profit, i.e. trickle up economics. It's science.

My scenario is a hell of a lot more probable than yours, seen it first hand for many years.

That's only because it is not easy to see the economic effect of any small increases in purchasing power from one person's point of view.

Minimum wage should increase at least at the same pace as inflation.

Or they will just reduce the hours available and demand more from fewer employee with less time, any bets on how it pans out?

It's funny because people always talk about unemployment but underemployment is never mentioned. There are tons of people out there who have jobs, may even make a decent wage, but can't make ends meet because their employers only hire part time. They will only make the schedule to fit their own needs without taking into account the employees' needs.

I like the idea of a living wage in principle, but it needs to be introduced intelligently. Or have it consistently increased in small increments to keep up with inflation so you aren't making a drastic change all at once. Just handing out $15 an hour is not gonna be a magic bullet that cures everything. Your "living wage" depends on a lot of things and is different for everyone. Do you have to drive to get to work? Are you single? How big is your family? Where do you live? $15 might be excessive in Kentucky, but might not be enough in New York. Also you must take into account that companies will compensate for increased wage expenses by doing more of the part time thing, laying off staff, or increasing prices (which will then increase the cost of living).

That's only because it is not easy to see the economic effect of any small increases in purchasing power from one person's point of view.

Minimum wage should increase at least at the same pace as inflation.

Good in theory, try selling that to the greedy SOB of a corporate exec who thinks if he squeezes a nickle hard enough he can get six pennies out of it.

Archived