The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Benning believes culture change will improve Canucks" Bob Mackenzie Interview

Gstank29

Oh is that the reasoning now? Alright.

Drafting means nothing without development.

Detroit is successful because they not only draft well, they keep their prospects in the AHL until they're at least 22, and they play the same system as they do on the big club.

The Canucks can select as many "gems" or "steals" as they want, but if they're not developed properly, they won't turn into anything more than hyped prospects.

Look closely.

I questioned the Detroit model a couple of years ago. But it takes years, and years, and years to establish. To a degree I still have questions. But was more or less proven an idiot for blanket doubting the process. The ''young'' players on last years Detroit roster;

Joakim Andersson drafted 2007 round 3

Tomas Jurco drafted 2011 round 2

Gustav Nyquist drafted 2008 round 4

Riley Sheahan drafted 2010 round 1

Thomas Tatar drafted 2009 round 2

Brendan Smith 2007 round 1

Petr Mrazek drafted 2010 round 5

All of these guys only became NHL regulars in the last 2 years. Xavier Ouellet & Alexei Marchenko, both still drafted 2011 BTW, appeared ready last year. But still played fundamentally the whole year in Grand Rapids. And may again? There is currently zero regulars on their team drafted 2012 or later. You tell me whether its Detroit's system of development?

Or Babcock just refused to play rookies? 2 years ago, because nobody drafted before 2009 had made the squad I questioned if Detroit actually ''developed'' players. Then when they needed them, guys like Nyquist, Sheahan & tatar, this year Mrazek became impact players. I was proven wrong. They simply waited until guys were ready to knock a veteran off the roster before they actually gave them a spot.

Detroit then did not have to go out and buy a new team UFA when attrition appeared finally to be dismantling. Or suffer years of middling below the play off threshold. I would not be surprised in the slightest, even post Babcock, if we still don't see even uber talents like Mantha or Larkin for a year or three?

In any case;

On this timeline its only now or next year we can, or should start to see an emergence from prospects like Brendan Gaunce. And we should not be alarmed that Jensen has yet to surface. Next year Shinkaruk. Some of Detroits draftee's were similar skinny kids with gobs of talent. It just took them that 4 to 6 years. Either to learn defence, or put on weight. Improve their sense of how to move the puck or when to shoot. How to exist if you could not beat a guy wide? There is no reason to panic. Something I am just learning. Just because there are issues, which a prospect CAN resolve, does not mean we wont see them in Canucks jersey in 2016. Or 2017...

To get continuity through that type of patience takes generations to put in place.

DeNiro's point is salient. We have only had our own farm team for 3 years with which to start working on a Detroit system!

Skipped to word salient. I guess it is important that we have a farm team now. However, that means our methods of excusing away mediocrity has diminished.

So here's hoping the success comes. Cheers.

If they truly wanted to follow the Detroit winning model, they would have to look at the top picks that were Yzerman and Shanahan.

Yes Zetterburg and Datsyuk were later picks, but I still believe that if the Canucks are going to build a cup contender, they will need some top 5 picks in this lineup.

I do believe that Benning is changing the culture here, to a more hard working, scoring off the rush type of team.

I don't believe this team is going to make the playoffs, but they proved me wrong last year and it is plausible. Miller has to be a rock if that is going to happen.

Guess we will see in 82 games how things turn out. Personally I want to see us with a top ten draft pick by the end of the year.

If they truly wanted to follow the Detroit winning model, they would have to look at the top picks that were Yzerman and Shanahan.

Horvat at 9th and Virtanen at 6th is likely the extent of our top picks. These are the two guys they're going to build around.

That's why I don't wanna see Virtanen forced into the NHL too soon. I think another season in junior and maybe some time in the AHL will equal a much more rounded player.

Skipped to word salient. I guess it is important that we have a farm team now. However, that means our methods of excusing away mediocrity has diminished.

So here's hoping the success comes. Cheers.

Me too; Cheers!

Horvat at 9th and Virtanen at 6th is likely the extent of our top picks. These are the two guys they're going to build around.

That's why I don't wanna see Virtanen forced into the NHL too soon. I think another season in junior and maybe some time in the AHL will equal a much more rounded player.

Detroit also has been unafraid to flush talented guys who still don't cut it. See Ville Lieno. Albeit after he moved all the way through the system.

And?

If we go back, guys jumped right into roles when they were ready. See Federov, Yzerman. Guys like Datsyuk, Lidstrom & Zetterberg never played a day in the AHL & jumped straight in; albeit coming in their early 20's after playing in Europe. DeKeyser more recently at, what, 23 after playing in college.

The key point being Virtanen should be given a spot if he wins it! That is the real secret to the Detroit model. If he appears he will help the team? Clearly he is physically ready. Whether he can produce better hockey results than a veteran pro is simply up to him and the coaching staff in camp pre-season!

I would not be surprised with either result; but ultimately believe he will be in junior this year.

But if he doesnt play in van this year hes a bust isnt he? The way the gdt is going, youd think he wouldnt make a major midget team

My only question of trying to use a past method in securing the same results;

How can you do so without the exact duplication of the same pieces, such as, the players, the coach, the tradition, the city, the times and yes all the other factors... like the exact similarities to teams they played against and conditions those games were played in... with a team and an understanding that exists and of course existed?

Well Sorry Cinderella... the Prince left with Jack and your dreams are nothing but reruns cause there's no room in the Palace.

Benning has "these parts" to put together and no matter how hard you wish it wasn't so... It's So!!!

He may scan anothers blueprint, but it will be the "The Vancouver Method" ... honestly... How could it be anything else?

How can you do so without the exact duplication of the same pieces, such as, the players, the coach, the tradition, the city, the times and yes all the other factors... like the exact similarities to teams they played against and conditions those games were played in... with a team and an understanding that exists and of course existed?

Well Sorry Cinderella... the Prince left with Jack and your dreams are nothing but reruns cause there's no room in the Palace.

Benning has "these parts" to put together and no matter how hard you wish it wasn't so... It's So!!!

He may scan anothers blueprint, but it will be the "The Vancouver Method" ... honestly... How could it be anything else?

Wtf are you talking about?

There's just so much wrong with this post... Just... Oh whatever.

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

Son, I'm referring to the 'Detroit model' rhetoric this team has been using since the pre-start of the Gillis era. Almost 10 years ago. Since then we've seen plenty of, well, mediocrity when it comes to drafting and player development. That's a freakin' long time to be saying the same crap as a positive when the results have been dick.

Gee guys sorry... I was refering to the thread "WE'RE ON"

-Sutter was aquired to "fill in a gap between the new and old core"

^^For all the people who can't get over the Sbisa signing...bridge between old and new. Benning is extremely confident in his ability to assess talent and feels he can draft a winner. Only time will tell but hopefully people can stop complaining about Sbisa and understand his purpose (like Sutter, he is a stop gap).

Sbisa at 3.6 or Franson at 3.325? Why didn't Benning go after Franson at that price?

Don't forget, Sbisa's actual salary last year was 2.9 (much more than his cap hit of 2.165) so the negotiation would have started from there. His actual salary this year is 3.2 and his new cap hit is 3.6. When you consider the blended increases from year to year it is much more reasonable. (source: NHL Numbers)

It is also interesting that in Bennings interview today (Sept 14) with Sekeres, he was asked if there were any free agents that he would have been interested in at the final price they actually got (fishing for a comment on Franson I would say). Benning said that he would not have been interested. He is happy with the depth of D he has and he wants to have places open for young players who deserve shots at making the team. If Franson were picked up, he would slot into the #4 spot and make it difficult for Corrado. He also wants speed and mobility on the back end which is Franson's challenge. He also listed Biega, Fedun, and Pedan as possible depth call ups.

Archived