The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bennings List of 7

Crabcakes

Who is on the list of 7 players on this Young Stars team who Benning considers to be legitimate NHL candidates?

1. Virtanen
  2. McCann
  3. Cassels
  4. Gaunce
  5. Shinkaruk
  6. Hutton
  7. Subban

he meant in general..

but anyways

Virtanen

Demko

Boeser

Gaunce

Cassels

Shinkaruk

McCann

/thread

I only see two players with a legit chance at makng the roster this season and that's Gaunce and Virtanen. Shinkaruk with an outside chance if he really rips it up.

We'll have enough guys competing for the few spots available with Grenier and Kenins in the mix. I would put Friesen ahead of Cassels and McCann making it too.

I only see two players with a legit chance at makng the roster this season and that's Gaunce and Virtanen. Shinkaruk with an outside chance if he really rips it up.

We'll have enough guys competing for the few spots available with Grenier and Kenins in the mix. I would put Friesen ahead of Cassels and McCann making it too.

Shink not only need to rip it up, but also need Gaunce and Virtanen to not make it.

The great thing is 5 of those 7 guys will be in the AHL this season so the decision to put them on the roster can be made later.

With the potential to move guys like Vrbata, Hamhuis, Prust, and Higgins at the deadline, we might need these guys later in the season.

he meant in general..

but anyways

Virtanen

Demko

Boeser

Gaunce

Cassels

Shinkaruk

McCann

/thread

Actually he said on the ice, which would indicate it was Young Stars Players as OP suggested.

I believe he thinks Boeser and Demko are NHL calibre prospects as well, but wouldn't be in the list of 7

1. Gaunce

2. Virtanen

3. Hutton

4. Subban

5. Cassels

6. McCann

7. Shinkaruk

In order of perceived NHL value at the start of training camp

Virtanen and maybe Cassels are the only ones bringing something the Canucks don't have at those positions as of this training camp, but I believe Gaunce has a good shot to beat someone out for a roster spot. He's NHL ready for a bottom six role in my opinion. Whether that spot opens up for him will be decided by how well he plays in camp and pre season.

If 3 of those 7 pan out and become regular NHL players we will be lucky. With the history of Canucks drafting and player development, or draft history in general, we honestly can't expect every one of those prospects to pan out and have impactful NHL careers. So far I think Virtanen's a lock, McCann has a real good shot, and Subban will be in the NHL at some point. Cassels, Gaunce, and Shinkaruk are great prospects but there's no sure thing in them panning out. Fingers crossed everything works out.

The great thing is 5 of those 7 guys will be in the AHL this season so the decision to put them on the roster can be made later.

With the potential to move guys like Vrbata, Hamhuis, Prust, and Higgins at the deadline, we might need these guys later in the season.

The question is, which comes first?

Moving rentals out and replacing them with prospects?

Or, when prospects are ready, moving out veterans?

Who is on the list of 7 players on this Young Stars team who Benning considers to be legitimate NHL candidates?

1. Virtanen
  2. McCann
  3. Cassels
  4. Gaunce
  5. Shinkaruk
  6. Hutton
  7. Subban

1. Virtanen
  2. McCann
  3. Cassels
  4. Gaunce as wing
  5. Stewart as forward
  6. Hutton
  7. Brisebois

I see Gaunce battling for the 4th line C spot with Vey and Virtanen battling for the 3rd line RW spot with Hansen. Those two have the best chances of making the team.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Sutter - Vrbata

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen/Virtanen

Prust - Vey/Gaunce - Dorsett

I don't see Gaunce as being a legit threat to make the team and it's purely based on his contract. He's the #1 callup on left wing imo.

Shinkaruk is a victim of circumstance as well and he or Gaunce could likely be the captain of the Comets.

Virtanen is basically being gifted a spot based on his speed and physical play, in the same way that Baertschi is being gifted a spot for his playmaking and offense.

Bennings succession plan fits well with giving these young talented players a chance to play with the Sedin twins by next year.

I'd like to see Gaunce move back to the middle and I think Green hinted that it was a possibility.

Grenier has an outside chance at knocking JV out of that last spot if he goes on some rampage and scores a bunch of goals, but even he has one more year on his ELC. So you leave him in the minors another year and he becomes a better player and all of these young players: Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Cassels, Grenier all get to bond for a season and then graduate to the NHL next year.

Our rebuild is basically done in a few years if our current prospects can step up. It's been an excellent 3 years in a row at the draft and our pool is going to speed the rebuild and keep us competitive.

Canucks are raising their prospects right.

my take on that paricular comment was that he meant there were 5 to 7 guys showing NHL potential at the tourney, not that they were ready for the coming season necessarily.

off the top of my head my guess would be

Virtanen

McCann

Cassels

Hutton

Shinkaruk

Brisebois

Subban

honorable mention going to Zhukenov. Possibly some bias on my part giving him a mention because I find him to be the most intriguing prospect right now. I just see a high level of offensive awareness in him that, outside of McCann, no other prospect quite demonstrated in the tournament games.

I don't see Gaunce as being a legit threat to make the team and it's purely based on his contract. He's the #1 callup on left wing imo.

Shinkaruk is a victim of circumstance as well and he or Gaunce could likely be the captain of the Comets.

Virtanen is basically being gifted a spot based on his speed and physical play, in the same way that Baertschi is being gifted a spot for his playmaking and offense.

Bennings succession plan fits well with giving these young talented players a chance to play with the Sedin twins by next year.

I'd like to see Gaunce move back to the middle and I think Green hinted that it was a possibility.

Grenier has an outside chance at knocking JV out of that last spot if he goes on some rampage and scores a bunch of goals, but even he has one more year on his ELC. So you leave him in the minors another year and he becomes a better player and all of these young players: Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Cassels, Grenier all get to bond for a season and then graduate to the NHL next year.

Our rebuild is basically done in a few years if our current prospects can step up. It's been an excellent 3 years in a row at the draft and our pool is going to speed the rebuild and keep us competitive.

Canucks are raising their prospects right.

Whatever happens this year, by next year, I think that the following list has a very real chance of making the Canucks.

Gaunce

Grenier

Virtanen

Pedan

With an outside shot to:

Shinkaruk

Cassels

McCann

Hutton

Now, there are one or two veterans who need to watch their backs for sure. Small wonder why Benning has signed so many to only a one year contract.

Archived