The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bennings List of 7

Crabcakes

I only see two players with a legit chance at makng the roster this season and that's Gaunce and Virtanen. Shinkaruk with an outside chance if he really rips it up.

We'll have enough guys competing for the few spots available with Grenier and Kenins in the mix. I would put Friesen ahead of Cassels and McCann making it too.

That's more or less how I see it. If you factor in Grenier, Pedan, Baertschi and Kenins there has to be some outstanding performances for any of them to join Bo.

Out of all the prospects I probably was most impressed by Hutton and would love to see him get a few games. It was also noticeable that JB didn't even mention Subban which I found strange.

Because if he's not part of the future he needs to be at least traded for a young D-man. He needs exposure for that to be possible, otherwise we threw away a second for nothing.

There's no rush for Gaunce and Cassels. Both of them can spend a couple years in Utica.

Ask a question, get an answer.

Do you think that Kassian being sat for all those games hurt his trade value, or was it his inability to remain consistent?

Do you think that Kassian being sat for all those games hurt his trade value, or was it his inability to remain consistent?

I think both. Being benched never helps a players value. Kassian was also given lots of opportunity and just didn't have the effort level.

Vey deserves those same opportunities to prove himself before we just dump him. The one thing this team has right now is time. Time to be patient and develop players properly.

I think both. Being benched never helps a players value. Kassian was also given lots of opportunity and just didn't have the effort level.

Vey deserves those same opportunities to prove himself before we just dump him. The one thing this team has right now is time. Time to be patient and develop players properly.

One could argue though that Vey was gifted some pretty significant minutes last season, at least in the first half, and wasn't able to capitalize on them as much as he could have.

I think this is the season of reckoning for about half the roster.

One could argue though that Vey was gifted some pretty significant minutes last season, at least in the first half, and wasn't able to capitalize on them as much as he could have.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Kuzma+Canucks+ready+prove+belongs/11363363/story.html Check out Kuzma's article on Vey from Sept 14, 2015.

Vey knows it's do or die, now or never. He worked hard on his strength over the summer. Now we'll see how he does.

for all the tools that have no clue the seven players benning referred to as train camp hopefulls didnt include demko or boeser who are playing at least a yr or two more of college hockey

they included. virtanen, mccann, gaunce, shinkaruk, stewart, hutton, subbann plus grenier and cassels will probably fight for spots as well good to have competition

gaunce virtanen will make team out of camp maybe even shinkaruk if not most of these players will thrive under green in utica and wait for call ups if we get injured or trade vrbata, vey, hamhuis, higgins, hansen at deadline internal competition is finally here i really dont see jensen beating virtanen or gaunce or shinkaruk out of a job hes not that good

No chance stewart was on that list, hes very very raw

It was impossible to get an offer anywhere near market value after he missed the last half of the season with a back injury. Long term, possibly chronic back injuries are gigantic red flags because they're almost always career shorteners.

To be honest I have a hard time remembering any time Benning mentioned Subban or talked in length about him.

I forget what interview it was, but he mentioned that he didn't see a need to draft offensive defensemen because he had subban and hutton as prospects. i haven't heard him talk at length though. Its probably because there's no debate he is going to Utica. He may not see Subban as a future core player as his lack of size and reach is a huge obstacle in him becoming an efficient, all-situations, minute eating defenseman. He's going to have to work harder than everyone else on the ice.

Vey was a grafter from day one. That is why Willie likes him. When you are a rookie, the harder you graft the more mistakes you make, that is just how it is. But he never lets up. The only thing he lacks is NHL strength (not everyone is built like Bo) but he is not small and that will come.

Kassian for whatever reason never learned that. He always looked like he lacked stamina to me. (I'm not saying he didn't train hard but with some people that is not always enough) Combine that with inconsistency and it is no Wonder JB wanted shot of of him.

does anyone know if Abols is signed as canuck property? He was impressive, had size not that he was hitting alot but showed some decent wheels and moves in the games he played.

Abols signed with Winterhawks. Cannot be signed until next year due to a technicality. Will be available in next years draft.

Next year there could be a whole influx of young guys:

Virtanen

Gaunce

Shinker

Cassels

Jensen

Hutton

Subban

Grenier

Mcann

All have major chances of playing a lot of games in the 2016-2017 season, not to mention we are adding beartschi and Corrado this year so over the next 2 yrs the nhl core we have now will undergo a massive overhaul.

Vrbata

Higgins

Webber

Are gone and maybe 2 of

Hansen

Burrows

Prust

And I think some of the young guys will be moved along with veterans in a package - Jensen, vey

I forget what interview it was, but he mentioned that he didn't see a need to draft offensive defensemen because he had subban and hutton as prospects. i haven't heard him talk at length though. Its probably because there's no debate he is going to Utica. He may not see Subban as a future core player as his lack of size and reach is a huge obstacle in him becoming an efficient, all-situations, minute eating defenseman. He's going to have to work harder than everyone else on the ice.

Yes but let's not forget we are talking about a prospect who "shines" with talent regarding his skating, puck handling and shot.

This is not just ANY prospect this is a guy who is extremely gifted. If he was 6'-2" and 210 lbs, does anyone doubt he would be in the NHL this coming season? (at least for a few games) As it is he will have to be content to mature under Green's coaching in Utica.

On Monday they spoke with Benning on TSN 1040 mid-day show. He mentioned Subban. He said he's good but needs to do a bunch of little things, like use his stick better when he's defending. It sounded to me like nit-picking. But then Benning was a D-man himself. He sounded very impressed with Hutton however.

You`d like to think Vey will get a serious look on the wing before he`s waived, as Jordan Schroeder should have.

Archived