The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Could the Blackhawks miss the playoffs

I'm looking for some other opinions on how people believe that Blackhawks season will go this year. I believe there is a good chance the defending Stanley cup champs could be not playing but watching the post season for the first time in 8 years. There are 3 key reasons as to why I think this could happen.

The amount of hockey they’ve played in the last 3 years

In the last three years the hawks have won 2 Stanley cups and made a conference final appearance. If we look at the kings last season, their post season playoff push came up just short, any many believe they just ran out of gas at the end. The kings, just like the Hawks, were also coming of 2 Stanley cups and a conference finals in 3 years. It’s not too unrealistic to think, that the long hockey seasons for 3 consecutive years could eventually have a toll on the players. Could we see a similar situation happen with the Blackhawks. If the Hawks get in any sort of a hole early in the season, due to Stanley cup hang over, or off ice distractions (Kane Situation), will this team have enough energy to rally back into a playoff spot?

Roster loss

Sharp & Saad combine a loss of 39 goals leaving the roster this summer. Not too often can a team lose two high impact (core) top 6 players and not feel the effect. The hawks also lost, Richards, Versteeg and trade deadline pick up Vermette, who came up big for the hawks in the post season. Will Anisimov, Dano, and a year older Teravainen be able to pick up the offence. It’s a tall order, and we will have to wait to find out.

On the back end the shutdown pairing of Hjalmarsson and Oduya is no more. Hawks did get Daley, but Daley and Odyua don’t play a similar style of game. Daley is more offensive focussed while Oduya was a stay at home warrior. We will see if Daley can fill a needed role with the Hawks.

Hossa is turning 37 this year. This guy is a beast and his game is fuelled by power and speed. It’s often stated the Sedins (who will be turning 35) will start to see production drop due to age, if that’s the case, then we can certainly say the same and expect to see some decline in Hossa’s game as well.

All this doesn’t included the uncertainty of Kane. Him being out for any significant amount of time will have a huge impact on this roster.

If you put that all together, only two of the hawks top 6 weren’t mentioned,

Now even after all that the Hawks still have one of the best defencemen in the league with Keith, and they still have recently Serious radio NHL powerplay voted, best current player in the NHL, Jonathan Toews. But will these two be enough.

Division

The central division is one of the strongest divisions in the entire NHL. Over 35% of their game are all against teams within their own division.

You still have the Blues who may have taken a lateral step, moving Oshie, Losing Jackman and rumoured Backes on the market. But they are still a well built and coached team, if Tarasensko can continue where he left off last season, and their D stay strong Bouwmeester, Shattenkirk, & Pietrangelo we should expect them in the post season.

The predators who in my opinion have the strongest D core in the league. Weber, Josi, Jones, Ellis, Ekholm and newly acquire Jackman. Add Rinne in net, talented forwards like Forsberg, Neal, Ribeiro and the project cases like Cody Hodgson they are once again set to make the post season.

We saw the Jets make the playoffs for the first time in their new franchise. Barring any injuries or major slumps, we could expect a very similar season or even some improvement if some of their young high potential rookies (Petan, Ehlers, Lemieux, Morrissey) can come in and make an impact.

The Stars continue to add to their roster, last year we saw them pick up Spezza and Hemsky, this year we saw them acquire Sharp, Oduya and added goalie competition with Niemi. The Seguin injury last year could have very well cost the stars the season and if they can stay fairly healthy we could/should expect a strong post season push.

After a slow start to the year, the wild really picked up their game. Dubnyk began playing like the goalie he was drafted to be, (12 spots before than Cory Schneider) and the team started to gel. If the Wild start the season as they finished off the 2015 regular season they should be in a playoff position.

Colorado is always a wild card. Personally I think they will miss the post season once again but it really depends on how many games Varlamov can steal them. Mackinnon is a year older and more mature, he will be a force this year. They lost O’Reilly but picked up Soderberg, took on a high talented Grigorenko who could break out under his old junoir coach Roy . They also added Zadorov on the back end. Overall they are a toss-up, things could go either way.

Overall outside of the Avalanche, there isn’t really a team (considering the hawks roster changes) on paper that Hawks are clear cut better than. I wouldn’t be shocked to see any of the teams mentioned finishing higher in the standings. Do I think Hawks are going to be a bottom feeder? No, but I think the competition has all upped their game and there isn’t going to be much forgiveness in not picking up a point every night. All teams are competitive and there really isn’t any easy games. Could the combination of all three things mentioned keep the Blackhawks from missing the post season. I wouldn’t be shocked if it happened. What do you think?

As long as Kane plays most of the year, I think they still get in. Still a lot of talent, and they play a more skill based game so fatigue might not be as big of a factor.

The two teams ahead of them last year didn't improve much, if at all. So it depends how much the teams behind them will catch up.

I see them getting a top 3 spot in the division (behind Minnesota and possibly St. Louis) but I don't think they reach the WCF this year.

nice read... nice post... but the hawks will make the playoffs... trust me on that. i will scream murder if the canucks make the playoffs only to get bounced out and the hawks cup champs a couple years ago don't make the playoffs and get yet another top pick in the draft...

As long as Kane plays most of the year, I think they still get in. Still a lot of talent, and they play a more skill based game so fatigue might not be as big of a factor.

The two teams ahead of them last year didn't improve much, if at all. So it depends how much the teams behind them will catch up.

I see them getting a top 3 spot in the division (behind Minnesota and possibly St. Louis) but I don't think they reach the WCF this year.

Yeah I agree that STL took a step back, how do you see the central division going?

Here’s how I see the central division.

(not in any particular order)

Stars

Predators

Wild

Then I have one of the wild card spots down to Hawks, Jets, & Blues. Unless all central div games end up 3 point games, I don’t see 5 central teams making the post season. Too many points being giving away in a loss, again unless all games go to OT, every game played is essentially a 4 point game.

In the Pacific only the Ducks are the real locks but between Kings, Canucks, Flames and Sharks, two teams will make the Pacific (for arguments sake say Flames and Canucks again), and the other two (Kings & Sharks) will be competing for a wild card spot.

Meaning only two of these 5 strong teams will be making wild card between:

Hawks, Jets, Blues, Kings Sharks

At this point it's a toss up

As I said before, with teams so even it will be extremely hard for 5 teams in the same division to make the post season.

How many people thought the defending Kings would miss the post season this last season?

Division

The central division is one of the strongest divisions in the entire NHL. Over 35% of their game are all against teams within their own division.

You still have the Blues who may have taken a lateral step, moving Oshie, Losing Jackman and rumoured Backes on the market. But they are still a well built and coached team, if Tarasensko can continue where he left off last season, and their D stay strong Bouwmeester, Shattenkirk, & Pietrangelo we should expect them in the post season.

The predators who in my opinion have the strongest D core in the league. Weber, Josi, Jones, Ellis, Ekholm and newly acquire Jackman. Add Rinne in net, talented forwards like Forsberg, Neal, Ribeiro and the project cases like Cody Hodgson they are once again set to make the post season.

We saw the Jets make the playoffs for the first time in their new franchise. Barring any injuries or major slumps, we could expect a very similar season or even some improvement if some of their young high potential rookies (Petan, Ehlers, Lemieux, Morrissey) can come in and make an impact.

The Stars continue to add to their roster, last year we saw them pick up Spezza and Hemsky, this year we saw them acquire Sharp, Oduya and added goalie competition with Niemi. The Seguin injury last year could have very well cost the stars the season and if they can stay fairly healthy we could/should expect a strong post season push.

After a slow start to the year, the wild really picked up their game. Dubnyk began playing like the goalie he was drafted to be, (12 spots before than Cory Schneider) and the team started to gel. If the Wild start the season as they finished off the 2015 regular season they should be in a playoff position.

Colorado is always a wild card. Personally I think they will miss the post season once again but it really depends on how many games Varlamov can steal them. Mackinnon is a year older and more mature, he will be a force this year. They lost O’Reilly but picked up Soderberg, took on a high talented Grigorenko who could break out under his old junoir coach Roy . They also added Zadorov on the back end. Overall they are a toss-up, things could go either way.

I look at this. I see the gains made by the Kings, Ducks, Flames and Oilers and I question even more how people think WE can make the playoffs on the backs of the Sedins and questionable secondary scoring more than I question the Hawks making the playoffs

Yeah I agree that STL took a step back, how do you see the central division going?

Here’s how I see the central division.

(not in any particular order)

Stars

Predators

Wild

Then I have one of the wild card spots down to Hawks, Jets, & Blues. Unless all central div games end up 3 point games, I don’t see 5 central teams making the post season. Too many points being giving away in a loss, again unless all games go to OT, every game played is essentially a 4 point game.

In the Pacific only the Ducks are the real locks but between Kings, Canucks, Flames and Sharks, two teams will make the Pacific (for arguments sake say Flames and Canucks again), and the other two (Kings & Sharks) will be competing for a wild card spot.

Meaning only two of these 5 strong teams will be making wild card between:

Hawks, Jets, Blues, Kings Sharks

At this point it's a toss up

As I said before, with teams so even it will be extremely hard for 5 teams in the same division to make the post season.

How many people thought the defending Kings would miss the post season this last season?

I think Minnesota finishes first in the division, with St. Louis and Chicago taking the 2 and 3 spots in no particular order.

I think Dallas gets a wildcard spot for sure, along with another central team (could be any, I think Avs have the best chance, followed by the Preds then Jets).

Ducks finish first in the Pacific with ease, Kings and Flames getting the other two spots.

It will be close, with just a few points separating many of the teams, but I'd still put the Hawks above at least 4 other central teams. Even if they're the 5th best in their division, I'd still put them ahead of any Pacific team that isn't the Ducks, Kings, or Flames.

I see where you're coming from, but I think the Hawks will still find a way to get in, even if they appear much weaker on paper.

No.

Anyone who thinks the Hawks could possibly miss the playoffs yet have thoughts of the canucks making them needs to stop posting and go watch tennis.

The Hawks are still too well coached, to well lead and to experienced to miss the playoffs

I didn't even mention the Canucks. The way playoff format is set up its more between division than conference. Max 5 div teams can make playoffs and when the teams are close its dilutes point totals so the likely hood 5 central teams make playoff isn't high. So it's not whether Hawks are better than Canucks it's whether Hawks are still better than stars, blues, preds, wild, and jets.

Ps hey Warhippy didn't you say Canucks would be in contention to be bottom feeders last year. Maybe you should stick to tennis

With the roster they have, every one of those all-star players would need to collectively sh!t the bed at the same times for them to even come CLOSE to missing the postseason.

Yes, they ARE that good.

Keith,

Seabrook,

Hjalmarsson

^ on of the best top 3 Ds you'll see in this league.

Toews,

Hossa,

Kane

^do I need to say anything?

Then there's the progress they hope to have from Terevainen and Dano

Not to mention one of the most well structured bottom 6 systems that I've ever seen.

Also, Joel Quenville.

The Blackhawks only real weakness imo is their tending. And that's been their weakness for a number of seasons now and they're still winning Stanley Cups so..... yeah.

They are simply TOO good to miss completely.

I love to hate the Hawks, but they are the upper echelon.

Archived