The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Clayton Stoner charged after killing a grizzly bear in B.C.

aGENT

http://globalnews.ca/news/2225913/nhl-player-charged-after-killing-a-grizzly-bear-in-b-c/

article-2413599-1BA77F31000005DC-565_634

A NHL player has been charged after killing a grizzly bear in B.C.

Clayton Stoner, who is from Port McNeil and plays for the Anaheim Ducks, shot the bear two years ago in the Kwatna River Estuary, just east of Bella Bella.

Stoner does not deny shooting the bear and released a statement two years ago when a picture was released online of Stoner holding the severed head of the grizzly.

“I grew up hunting and fishing in British Columbia and continue to enjoy spending time with my family outdoors,” said his statement.

“I applied for and received a grizzly bear hunting license through a British Columbia limited entry lottery last winter and shot a grizzly bear with my license while hunting with my father, uncle and a friend in May. I love to hunt and fish and will continue to do so with my family and friends in British Columbia.”

However, he has now been charged with five offences under the Wildlife Act, including hunting without a license and hunting out of season.

Hunting grizzlies is legal in British Columbia if you carry a license, but many First Nations groups oppose the practice. The Heiltsuk Nation, and nine other groups that are part of the Coastal First Nations alliance, announced in September 2012 they would ban trophy bear hunting on B.C.’s north and central coast.

“This is an issue that needs to be addressed based on principles, not on reputation or occupation,” said Jessie Housty, a councillor with the Heiltsuk Tribe and member of the Coastal First Nations Bear Working Group, in 2013. “It’s not about letting people off the hook or vilifying them because they’re happen to be high-profile. The important thing is creating dialogue around this issue.”

Stoner is expected to be in court Oct. 9.

I don't get the sense of accomplishment from killing a majestic animal from a huge distance away with a rifle.

I could get this if it were with a knife or sword or something That requires close combat where the Hunter is actually risking his life (beyond having one charge or sneak up on him).

Give the damn animal a chance!

There's an article that claims he falsified information to get a license.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/anaheim-ducks-player-charged-with-illegal-grizzly-hunt-in-b-c-backcountry-1.2568102

Well duh, that might be illegal.

I don't get the sense of accomplishment from killing a majestic animal from a huge distance away with a rifle.

I could get this if it were with a knife or sword or something That requires close combat where the Hunter is actually risking his life (beyond having one charge or sneak up on him).

Give the damn animal a chance!

Should have stopped at the bold, you didn't need to prove it with the rest of the post. :lol:

There's an article that claims he falsified information to get a license.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/anaheim-ducks-player-charged-with-illegal-grizzly-hunt-in-b-c-backcountry-1.2568102

It's still a little vague:

Clayton Stoner of the Anaheim Ducks is accused of two counts of knowingly making a false statement to obtain a hunting licence.

Archived