The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Re-Signing] Oilers extend Klefbom 7 years

@TSNRyanRishaug:

Oilers and Klefbom have agreed to terms on a 7 year Contract extension. Deal to be finalized in the next 24 to 48 hours.

@CraigCustance:

AAV on Oscar Klefbom deal will be $4.167 million. @TSNRyanRishaug first reported 7-year deal.

@JeffVeillette:

No NHL skater has ever played fewer games and had fewer career points than Oscar Klefbom before earning a 7+ year contract extension.

Don't know where I stand on this signing. On one side I guess I kind of understand where Oilers management is coming from hoping that this is a steal of a contract in 2-3 years. But on the other hand, Klefbom hasn't proved anything. 22 years old and only 77 NHL games, while being split apart being called up/sent down. Roman Josi extension is the perfect example of extending early but he proved much much more when he got it. Klefbom on the other hand, there's no knowing what type of player he'll become.

...oh well, guess time will tell. Mixed feelings on this contract for sure :/

@JeffVeillette:
No NHL skater has ever played fewer games and had fewer career points than Oscar Klefbom before earning a 7+ year contract extension.

I see they are trying to one-up Benning's Sutter signing.

Can you imagine what Hall and McDavid's extensions will look like when the time comes?! :emot-parrot: :frantic:

@JeffVeillette:

Can you imagine what Hall and McDavid's extensions will look like when the time comes?! :emot-parrot: :frantic:

What. That makes no sense.

@JeffVeillette:

Hall is signed until 2020?

Your INB4 was 2L8.

Regardless, this signing sure makes Sbisa's contract look even better, hey?

Seriously though..

I can understand why people are puzzled about this signing. This contract could look to be a steal of a bargain. This year is Klefbom's year to shine. I'm not too worried about the term. Klefbom has been improving lately and he will most certainly be better than Sbisa. Sometimes, you have to take the correct risks. This contract in a few years will look absolutely gorgeous and a huge of a steal. He's a solid defenseman who can move the puck and play extremely well with a solid pairing. Nowadays, things have changed. You'll see these kinds of contracts because the NHL has changed. This isn't a few years ago where these types of deals are absolutely atrocious and would hurt the salary cap of a team. Sbisa had many years to prove himself and has been far inconsistent. Klefbom's development has been very good and has been improving every year very steadily.

I'll say it again. Klefbom's deal will look absolutely sweet in a few years.

Many of you are freaking out, but believe me, Peter Chiarelli know's what he's doing.

Regardless of whether this is a reasonable risk on the Oilers' part to take - banking that he'll be worth this eventually - it's still the wrong thing to do. They keep handing out premature contracts to their young pedigrees. It's their bass ackwards way of doing things.

Archived