The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Higgins out 3 Weeks with Broken Foot

b3.

Update:

Vancouver Canucks forward Chris Higgins has a bone fracture in his foot that will keep him out of action for at least the next three weeks, at which point he'll be re-evaluated.

The 32-year-old was seen in a walking boot after leaving Monday's preseason game against the San Jose Sharks. He suffered the injury blocking a shot and did not return.

Higgins is under contract for another two seasons at a cap hit of $2.5 million. He registered 36 points in 77 games last season.

The injury could provide an opportunity for Jake Virtanen, the Canucks' sixth-overall pick in 2014, to make the team.

Monday's preseason-opening win by the Vancouver Canucks may have come at a cost.

Chris Higgins was spotted wearing a walking boot on his right foot Tuesday, Sportsnet's Irfaan Gaffar reports, after the winger blocked a shot - which forced him from the game - against the San Jose Sharks.

Related: Canucks Season Preview: A whole lot of 'if's

There's no word on the severity of the injury, but the walking boot isn't a good sign. If Higgins is out for a lengthy period, his absence could open up a spot on the roster for rookie Jake Virtanen, who has impressed in camp.

Higgins is under contract through 2016-17 at a cap hit of $2.5 million. The 32-year-old had 12 goals and 24 assists in 77 games last season while playing almost 16 minutes a night.

-TheScore

Poor guy has no luck.

That's too bad for poor Higgy.

How come no one mentions Kenin-ball? With Bo he was one of the most productive guys on the team last year, and he's got the skating, physicality and enough scoring touch to make a difference in the bottom 6. Sure, Brendan and Jake have impressed but Ronnys Hockeys shouldn't be discounted b/c he's still young.

Dangit. He's an underrated player and I'd like to see him prove more people wrong. That said, it opens a spot for guys like Virtanen or Jensen.

EDIT: I guess with Gaunce moving the wing, this gives him a chance too.

That's too bad for poor Higgy.

How come no one mentions Kenin-ball? With Bo he was one of the most productive guys on the team last year, and he's got the skating, physicality and enough scoring touch to make a difference in the bottom 6. Sure, Brendan and Jake have impressed but Ronnys Hockeys shouldn't be discounted b/c he's still young.

You make a valid point. It's difficult for me to tell which I want more - for Kenins to continue chemistry with Horvat and turn into the next Burrows, or for Virtanen/Jensen/Gaunce to be given a shot and hope for them to turn out this year.

Archived