The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zero goals in two preseason games

nitti999

Wins/losses/goals in early preseason games are not a concern. Hate to say it, but it is "about the process".

Hate to say it, but it is somewhat of a concern. It's not as if we've got a new coach with a completely new system that the players have got to get used to, and it's not as if we've rested all our top 6 guys either. Also the fact that Miller was so bad i concerning since he makes $6 million for two more seasons.

I know it's only been two preseason games and no one is really trying out there (the Sedins were lollipopping it today), but I knew this would be a concern going into the 2015-2016 season. We scored a pretty average amount of goals last season, and our firepower has only gotten worse.

The Sedins and Vbrata are only getting older. I doubt they hit the same goal totals as last season.

Higgins, Burrows and Hansen are in the same boat, and have been steadily the same or declining over the last 3 years offensively.

We get Prust in over Kassian. Kassian was scoring at around a 20 goal pace last season, now we have a sub-10 goal scorer in Prust.

Sutter comes in over Bonino. Both were pretty similar, but last season Bonino scored at a slightly higher point-per-game ratio.

Bieksa is out, Barktowski is in. As little offence Bieksa brought, Barktowski has never scored an NHL goal and will bring even less.

Hamhuis is getting older and potted next to nothing last season, so he could get better or stay the same offensively.

Tanev and Edler have pretty much peaked, as has Sbisa. I don't think they'll improve at all offensively.

Yannik Weber struck gold last season on the powerplay and has nowhere to go but down goal-scoring wise

Those are the negatives to our offence. Here are the POTENTIAL positives.

Baertschi is primed for a breakout season and will be starting as our 2nd line winger. He hasn't really proven himself yet and is still very much a wild card, but realistically I could see him score 15ish goals out of nowhere.

Horvat is only getting better with time and I expect to see him put a 5-10 goal advancement on his numbers from last season.

Kenins was pretty inconsistent last season so I doubt we'll see improvement from him, shouldn't expect more than 10 goals in sporadic game play

Jensen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Cassels and even maybe McCann and Virtanen may get to see some NHL time and they'll chip in some very occasional offence. Nothing to be consistently counted on, but they'll be some nice injury fill-ins.

Linden Vey is the guy to watch out for, and I think he'll score an extra 5-10 goals on what he did last season.

So basically, our veterans get older and probably worse, so the offence is resting on the kids. In particular, the kids with roster spots like Baertschi, Horvat and Vey. There's not much pressure on them to produce like our stars, but quite frankly I believe our season rests on whether Baertschi, Horvat and Vey can score 15-20 goals each, or whether they regress and can only chip in under 10 all season long. Essentially our season comes down to the kids - if they play well, we'll have an extra boost that we'll need. If they struggle, these veterans aren't skilled enough any more to carry the entire team on their back.

Let's just hope the kids are ready to take the next step.

I know it's only been two preseason games and no one is really trying out there (the Sedins were lollipopping it today), but I knew this would be a concern going into the 2015-2016 season. We scored a pretty average amount of goals last season, and our firepower has only gotten worse.

The Sedins and Vbrata are only getting older. I doubt they hit the same goal totals as last season.

Higgins, Burrows and Hansen are in the same boat, and have been steadily the same or declining over the last 3 years offensively.

We get Prust in over Kassian. Kassian was scoring at around a 20 goal pace last season, now we have a sub-10 goal scorer in Prust.

Sutter comes in over Bonino. Both were pretty similar, but last season Bonino scored at a slightly higher point-per-game ratio.

Bieksa is out, Barktowski is in. As little offence Bieksa brought, Barktowski has never scored an NHL goal and will bring even less.

Hamhuis is getting older and potted next to nothing last season, so he could get better or stay the same offensively.

Tanev and Edler have pretty much peaked, as has Sbisa. I don't think they'll improve at all offensively.

Yannik Weber struck gold last season on the powerplay and has nowhere to go but down goal-scoring wise

Those are the negatives to our offence. Here are the POTENTIAL positives.

Baertschi is primed for a breakout season and will be starting as our 2nd line winger. He hasn't really proven himself yet and is still very much a wild card, but realistically I could see him score 15ish goals out of nowhere.

Horvat is only getting better with time and I expect to see him put a 5-10 goal advancement on his numbers from last season.

Kenins was pretty inconsistent last season so I doubt we'll see improvement from him, shouldn't expect more than 10 goals in sporadic game play

Jensen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Cassels and even maybe McCann and Virtanen may get to see some NHL time and they'll chip in some very occasional offence. Nothing to be consistently counted on, but they'll be some nice injury fill-ins.

Linden Vey is the guy to watch out for, and I think he'll score an extra 5-10 goals on what he did last season.

So basically, our veterans get older and probably worse, so the offence is resting on the kids. In particular, the kids with roster spots like Baertschi, Horvat and Vey. There's not much pressure on them to produce like our stars, but quite frankly I believe our season rests on whether Baertschi, Horvat and Vey can score 15-20 goals each, or whether they regress and can only chip in under 10 all season long. Essentially our season comes down to the kids - if they play well, we'll have an extra boost that we'll need. If they struggle, these veterans aren't skilled enough any more to carry the entire team on their back.

Let's just hope the kids are ready to take the next step.

I stopped reading at "scored a pretty average amount of goals last season". 7th in the league and 3rd in the conference for GF is apparently average now I guess.

Panic already.

Am I the only person who watched both games and felt good? Put it another way I would rather have the Canucks players who played over the two games than the Shark's players.

I thought we looked pretty good and the score certainly didn't reflect play. 3 of the Sharks goals were screens and if I have one complaint it is we are not helping our goalie by moving their players out of the way. We also need to improve our PP.

I think the future looks bright for us and for those who are saying the Sedins are getting older, well who isn't. They still dominated large sections of play and I have no worries about them come the season. We outshot them 30-22 and their goalie played out of his skin AND was extremely lucky.

Some of you guys can bitch and complain all you want, as for me, I'm pretty pleased with what I've seen.

DUC as ever a fountain of inaccurate cobbled together fantasy. :)

Archived