The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CBC in a rush to Implode - Selling off All Buildings in midst of Election Campaign

TOMapleLaughs

CBC announces plans to sell off all buildings in midst of election campaign

TORONTO, Sept. 22, 2015 /CNW/ - CBC announced today at a town hall for staff that it is selling all its property across the country, including major production facilities in Montreal and Toronto. These buildings were paid for by Canadians to allow the public broadcaster to produce quality original Canadian programming purely in the public interest. The announcement confirms a trend to strip CBC of that ability.

"The decision to close down production centres is of great concern for our members as it should be for all Canadians, and seriously jeopardizes the CBC's ability to do meaningful production in the future," said Marc-Philippe Laurin, CBC Branch President for the Canadian Media Guild (CMG). 'Our members believe the public broadcaster can't only be a distributor, it has to also be a producer. This plan threatens the ongoing legacy of award- winning documentaries, drama and other quality production at CBC and Radio Canada."

These decisions most likely stem from the continuing and tremendous financial difficulties facing our national public broadcaster, a fact CBC President Lacroix acknowledged earlier this month.

"It makes no sense to plan this now, when three of the four national parties are promising to restore or increase funding to CBC," says CMG National President Carmel Smyth. "Just today the Liberal party committed to increasing CBC funding by $150 million. In recent months the Green Party committed to an increase of $285-million, while the NDP says it will reverse the $115-million budget cut. Why rush into such an irreversible decision now?"

In the words of former CBC President and Canadian cultural icon, Pierre Juneau:

"Public television cannot merely be a programmer. The particular ethics of public broadcasting demand that programs be designed with particular care. This requirement implies that the public broadcaster should also become involved in audiovisual production. While public broadcasters may buy or commission some programs, in-house production not only guarantees that programs will adequately meet the purpose of the broadcaster, but also ensures the perenniality of expertisesome would say a "culture" of creativityparticular to the public broadcaster."

And as the Parliamentary Budget Officer pointed out earlier this year, asset sales are only a temporary fix. "Proceeds from one-time asset sales give the CBC a temporary cash infusion, which allows it to defer part of the Government's operating subsidy until later in the fiscal year."

The CBC has also cut more than 2,800 jobs since 2008 and has plans to cut another 1,600 by 2020.

Green Party:

http://www.greenparty.ca/sites/default/files/platform_english_web.pdf (page 22)

Liberal Party:

https://www.liberal.ca/liberals-to-invest-in-canadian-culture-and-middle-class-jobs/

NDP:

http://www.ndp.ca/news/ndp-to-restore-cbc-funding

SOURCE Canadian Media Guild

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/cbc-announces-plans-to-sell-off-all-buildings-in-midst-of-election-campaign-528736711.html

The end is nigh.

We've seen this coming for quite a long time, and while it's debatable whether or not 21st century Canadians even need the CBC, but to see it being rushed to extinction by a pro-privatization government is a bit much, isn't it?

Just another chunk of Canadiana to be 'muricanized.

Most Canadians oppose the privatization of the CBC.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/slim-majority-of-canadians-oppose-privatizing-cbc/article12721890/

Those most likely to support privatization were conservative men from Alberta, the poll found.

F'n shocking.

Honestly this would be the best thing that could happen. CBC doesn't do anything except hockey night in Canada and they don't even do that now. The rest of CBC's original programming is garbage, and funding the CBC is like flushing money down the toilet. I suppose the radio programs aren't terribly out of touch but TV sure is.

Honestly this would be the best thing that could happen. CBC doesn't do anything except hockey night in Canada and they don't even do that now. The rest of CBC's original programming is garbage, and funding the CBC is like flushing money down the toilet. I suppose the radio programs aren't terribly out of touch but TV sure is.

The fifth estate, Marketplace, and the passionate eye are all worthwhile, IMO.

Speak for your self.

CBC plays a vital role in ensuring Canadians get Canadian information. They also produce exceptional educational and children's programming as well as playing a vital role in Canadian arts ans science.

They're invaluable.

I watch CBC and I disagree. I wouldn't expect anyone to support something they do not use or want, but I'd stop short of telling me how it is. I know how it is, and I like it. Murdoch Mysteries is one of my favorite shows of all time. Perhaps it's a generational gap, and CBC needs to target a younger demographic, or perhaps the younger demographic needs to accept they are not the only people driving demand. Of course I am totally unfairly assuming you are young, I apologize if I am wrong, but I have found this to be the case in most of my pro-CBC ranting. Don't crap on my CBC, I still love them.

From 2011, but a government idea was to turn CBC into PBS North.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/do-we-really-want-the-cbc-to-become-pbs-north/article554887/

Essentially whittle content to non-for-profit bare bones children's programming, an alternative newscast, and some documentaries.

Goodbye Dragon's Den, hello Nature of Things.

ps. James Moore is the same Conservative member who recently angered the Terry Fox family by politicizing cancer research.

I watch CBC and I disagree. I wouldn't expect anyone to support something they do not use or want, but I'd stop short of telling me how it is. I know how it is, and I like it. Murdoch Mysteries is one of my favorite shows of all time. Perhaps it's a generational gap, and CBC needs to target a younger demographic, or perhaps the younger demographic needs to accept they are not the only people driving demand. Of course I am totally unfairly assuming you are young, I apologize if I am wrong, but I have found this to be the case in most of my pro-CBC ranting. Don't crap on my CBC, I still love them.

It's not that I don't find CBC shows useful (I watch FE from time to time), but it makes no sense for all this nonsense programming to be subsidized by taxpayers.

It's weird the paranoia that surrounds privatization. The job of content delivery is to give people what they want. If they are successful, it's because the populace wants what they deliver. So just like with the issue of voting, if people feel like the standard will devolve, they should probably be a little more introspective rather than finger pointing. That simply won't happen though, but that's not my problem.

It's not that I don't find CBC shows useful (I watch FE from time to time), but it makes no sense for all this nonsense programming to be subsidized by taxpayers.

It's weird the paranoia that surrounds privatization. The job of content delivery is to give people what they want. If they are successful, it's because the populace wants what they deliver. So just like with the issue of voting, if people feel like the standard will devolve, they should probably be a little more introspective rather than finger pointing. That simply won't happen though, but that's not my problem.

If they had just ponied up for HNIC they wouldn't need subsidies. I'm not against change, but I do want to continue to have a Canadian public service network. Perhaps there is nostalgia clouding my view, but I see value. I agree it needs to be self sufficient on most levels.

I don't watch much TV other than hockey but CBC is basically the only the thing that's worth listening to on the radio. This is just another punch to the stomach from our current "government". PLEASE get out and vote this year! I DO care who you vote for, and I'd probably cry if you decided to vote for Harper AGAIN, but if he won and the majority of the country actually voted for him I wouldn't be able to complain. This guy has been running the show and ruining the country with a false majority and dirty voter suppression tactics, get him out of power PLEASE!

Make sure you are registered to vote if you haven't already (Harper's most recent election law updates have made it more difficult for young people/low income people/etc) and vote together to get rid of this treasonous dictator.

http://www.votetogether.ca/

not sure if we're only talking about TV, but CBC Radio has some amazing programs

not sure if we're only talking about TV, but CBC Radio has some amazing programs

I completely agree. Aside from some of the drivel and the news CBC's multi media spectrum has some brilliant stuff on it I would be very loathe to lose.

I seriously question the legality of being able to sell off massive assets such as prime real estate and equipment across the country during an election.

Archived