The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Benning part with more Vets?

Totes McGoats

With the Emergence of Kenins/Gaunce/McCann/Shinkaruk/Virtanen/Grenier/Jensen and even Cole Cassels, all showing to be close to, if not already NHL ready players...

Is it time for Benning to make a move or two to open up some additional Roster spots?

Personally I feel like many of our "vets" could be replaced with cheaper, younger, more forward thinking options.

I want everyone to keep in mind that I am not saying I dislike any of these vets, just merely that from a business / development perspective that this year might be the year to part with some additional faces. I am also not suggesting we "peel the bandaid quick" and wipe all these folks off our roster right now - but based on what I am seeing it would be a disservice to these young players to not give them spaces they could potentially take.

Examples:

Hansen, probably worth a 2nd round draft pick if traded.

Replacements: Grenier / Gaunce

Burrows, Likely could garner a number of assets in return for him.

Replacements: Virtanen/Shinkaruk/Jensen/Kenins

Higgins, Likely could get us a 3rd/4th pick or a good young player from a team at the deadline

Replacements:Virtanen/Shinkaruk/Jensen

All three of these guys have been awesome warriors for the Vancouver Canucks, and I do see the benefit of having some vets around - but so often in the past we have wasted our drafted players by not giving them opportunities.

Based on my assumptions - I would think 1 or 2 of these guys will be gone at the deadline.

I don't see a market for veterans. Look at how many are on the unemployment line right now. Would I like to move Burrows and Higgins? Sure but I don't think I am ready to go full rookie considering most of them have 0-1 years of success in Utica. A few of the aforementioned haven't played above Jrs yet.

I am excited too but not too excited to sell off everyone just to see them.

I think we'll probably see guys like Higgins leave when their contracts run out. It gives some of the younger players a year or two more to develop, and then they can take those open spots.

kenins wont be traded before higgins hansen or burrows hes our future agitator

3-5 vets will be gone by trade deadline hamhuis vrbata hansen higgins maybe prust unless he is resigned or burrows

next yr shinkaruk grenier mccann cassels virtanen hutton all might make team 6 rookies that look like we finally have some studs in utica

Yes.

I want to see these kids have a chance to make their mistakes in the bigs while still having a few of the truly great vets around.

The oilers are what "will" happen if there are no good vets left by the time they eventually make the jump.

Yes, he should. Just to make room, i dont even care about the return tbh.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Sutter-Vrbata

Gaunce-Horvat-Virtanen

Dorsett-Vey-Prust

I'd even put McCann in the 4th line C position. Willie rolls 4 so he wont be getting minimal ice time. We can develop him like we did Horvat, defence first, safe plays, just getting used to the NHL.

It's too early to consider selling off veterans. For the time being, the prospects will need to out perform the roster players to force their way into any lineup spot currently occupied by a veteran. And that's probably the way it should be for now.

Things could change if we're way out of a playoff position by around the All-Star break. Then I could see Benning start working the phones and dumping vets for futures and calling up the prospects playing in the AHL.

But until we know whether or not the group Benning has assembled this season is really a retooling team that can compete while turning over the roster, it's too soon to consider forcing young players into the lineup ahead of better performing veterans.

And right now there really aren't any young players that are setting the world on fire with their performance in preseason. Gaunce may be our most consistently good youngster, and even he hasn't done nearly enough to force his way into the lineup (outside of injury replacement). All the others mentioned by the OP (except maybe Kenins) have yet to prove they are NHL-ready. And they're a far way off from being better day-to-day players than guys like Burrows, Hansen, and Higgins.

I'm as excited as anyone about this prospect group. But I also know that most of them still need some time to "cook" in the minors before they're ready for a full time NHL role. Right now, if you swapped out veterans for prospects it's very unlikely it would make his team perform better (and could easily make things a lot worse--at least in terms of winning and losing).

But if we get to a point where we're so far from competing that wins and losses don't really matter, then I could see an accelerated youth movement (without prospects really "earning" their spots) become more of an option. Even still, given all Benning's said about winning atmosphere and mentorship and "culture carriers," I don't see this team fully embracing such a plan.

hamhuis for a 1st

vrbata for a 1st and 3rd

higgins for a 3rd

hansen for a 2nd

burrows for a 3rd retain a mill cap

gives us 3first rounders. two seconds 4 thirds some can be packaged to get us that stud 1-2 dman or first libe center

Looks alot like that year CGY traded a bunch of their core for firsts. Although in our case I'll be shocked if we get that value for our vets.

Looks alot like that year CGY traded a bunch of their core for firsts. Although in our case I'll be shocked if we get that value for our vets.

look wat vermette got at deadline last yr your saying you dont think vrbata a thirty goal scorer wont get us a first or hamhuis i so disagree this is the yr to unload vets

...as for Kenins, he is waiver ineligible, he is going to be on the roster no matter what. There is no way Kenins would clear waivers. Maybe Kenins gets traded to make space for more vets.

Kenins can still be sent down without waivers. For this season, it's only after 70 NHL games that he would have to go through waivers and he played in 35 games so far.

In 2016/17 he will have to go through waivers and so will Grenier, Jensen and Pedan.

Trade deadline conversations should include (in order of potential return):

Hammer (likely a highly sought after commodity at the deadline)

Virby (what team doesn't need more scoring heading into the playoffs)

Burr (veteran with extensive playoff experience and history of clutch performance -last year an acknowledged exception unfortunately)

Higgy (utility veteran capable of killing penalties and playing 2/3/4th line)

Hansen (veteran could bolster overall team speed and versatility)

My thoughts...

Chris Higgins - this year for sure

Dan Hamhuis - end of this year- but he is well respected so ? Retire ?

Radin Vrbata - end of this year - he was always a bridge, so the kids could progress

Brandon Prust - end of this year - he's a bridge - Is Virtanen tough enough?

Ryan Miller - end of next year - he also is a bridge - can you say Demko?

Jannik Hanson - will be traded for futures - he's the one who would have good market value - 2nd Round +

The Sedins - will retire at the end 0f 2018 - by that time their style of play would be out of touch with 3rd or 4th line players

Alex Burrows - Will retire as a Canuck - he is the one vet who deserves to be part of this organization for life. Damn that man Sacrificed !!!

The difficulty is a "simple fact" ... our vets never won the big one, they're marketability just isn't has high as the Canack fan base rates it.

Reality is a Bitch... didn't a past Pope say that once?

Hamhuis retire? :shock:

Kenins can still be sent down without waivers. For this season, it's only after 70 NHL games that he would have to go through waivers and he played in 35 games so far.

In 2016/17 he will have to go through waivers and so will Grenier, Jensen and Pedan.

Thanks for the info, I thought he was waiver eligible. It was vexing me as to why Benning signed Kenins' contract, Dorsett's contract and then traded for Prust if all three were going to play a similar role. If he can use Kenins up to ~35 games this season and have him waiver ineligible it gives us more wiggle room.

Archived