The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Looks Better With Every Passing Day

guntrix

Thought this was a thread-worthy post.

With McCann looking like a very good prospect and Markstrom looking real damn good today, I'm starting to think that GMMG maybe didn't get out GM'd.

And this isn't all of it.

Of course, we hated Gillis for trading Schneider (one of the up and coming goalies in the league) for a #9 pick but he went on and picked BoHo.

We questioned Gillis's drafting at times but he's drafted steals with Hutton, Subban and Cassels to go along with his solid early round draft picks in Shink and Gaunce.

The rebuild is looking more likely all because of MG's moves, not JB's. In fact, JB's trades leave a lot to be desired. And while I don't want to judge his drafting yet, I'm also having my doubts.

Hindsight is 20/20. Moreover, I'd hardly call Subban, Cassels, Hutton, Shink or Gaunce "steals" at this point. Hopefully they pan out and continue improving.

20/20 hindsight is exactly why such a thread can be created. GMMG was criticized for his trades mostly but most of them seem to be panning out.

Given the round they were drafted at, Subban, Cassels, and Hutton have to be considered steals if they succeed.

Btw, I never said that Shink and Gaunce were steals. Rather, good acquisitions.

You thought this was thread worthy, like every other Gillis thread. It was not.

You're the kinda guy that dedicates his time to posting about why threads shouldn't be created instead of actually participating. Good going.

Gillis did a lot of good things for the Canucks,but drafting and player development wasn't one of them...He basically gutted our prospect pool (only getting it right in his last year)....

I disagree gillis was a good gm and gets unfairly bashed. His drafting wasn't zen like but it was quite good especially in hindsight. Gaunce looks like a future playoff performer and leader, Shinkaruk once he matures physically should be a good NHL player. Jensen still has a chance I wouldn't completely write him off. Hutton, cassels, subban, horvat of course, the new saviour. Markstrom who should be our starter. The list goes on.

Gillis didn't draft McCann.

I don't think anyone doubts he had a very good 2013 draft. However his drafts from 2008-2010 were absolutely brutal, and a big reason why we have too big of a gap in our prospect pool.

You're right.

But about the drafting, the Canucks were notoriously horrible drafters even before MG arrived. IIRC, MG invested a lot into the scouting and eventually it began bearing fruit.

well our future core is looking like horvat, mccann, virtanen, baertschi, gaunce, boeser, markstrom, hutton, subban, pedan,

half of those players are benning acquisitions and he did it in only a year so I would have to disagree.

You're basically including JV and BB based on draft position. They've in no way shown that they're gonna be part of the future core, especially Boeser. Remember how good Jensen looked at first?

No he doesn't, people on CDC just have no patience.

Mike Gillis was incapable of making a big trade when it was needed and cost the Canucks damn near as much as any mistakes in team history, his blunders should be right up there with the mishandling of Pavel Bure, The Mark Messier situation and the Cam Neely trade.

Thought this was a thread-worthy post.

With McCann looking like a very good prospect and Markstrom looking real damn good today, I'm starting to think that GMMG maybe didn't get out GM'd.

And this isn't all of it.

one pre-season shutout and a draft pick acquired by and chosen by his replacement...

I'd say that's about none of it

No he doesn't, people on CDC just have no patience.

Mike Gillis was incapable of making a big trade when it was needed and cost the Canucks damn near as much as any mistakes in team history, his blunders should be right up there with the mishandling of Pavel Bure, The Mark Messier situation and the Cam Neely trade.

Are you serious?

Trading Luongo was the straw that broke the camels back. Despite all the trolls on here who hated him no matter what, he is a big part of what drove season ticket sales and paid their high priced salaries. The actual fans who paid money to watch the games were pissed and weren't renewing and that is why he was canned.

Archived