The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Looks Better With Every Passing Day

guntrix

Gillis did a lot of good things for the Canucks,but drafting and player development wasn't one of them...He basically gutted our prospect pool (only getting it right in his last year)....

There was nothing to gut when Gillis took over. Nonis didn't leave much to work with.

Are you serious?

Yep, we've gone from having one of the strongest goaltending pools in the league to an older more injury prone version of Luongo, and a young keeper who looks more and more like a bust as time goes on.

From Roberto Luongo, Cory Schneider, Eddie Lack, Jacob Markstrom, to Ryan Miller, Jacob Markstrom, who?

The returns we got for Luongo & Schneider were a joke, and if Gillis had pulled his head out of his ass and pulled the trigger on a deal sooner, we likely would have been able to get alot more for our assets, as it stands, the only reason people are supporting the Gillis era right now is because Horvat had an excellent rookie season and they have nothing else to be positive about except for the future.

Prior to Bo's breakout season CDC was whining and crying about the value we got for Schneider, all of a sudden Horvat has a strong season and suddenly the value is amazing and Gillis is viewed as god again because we're in a rebuilding state and Benning hasn't traded for Malkin/Kane/Karlsson, etc.

Garbage.

By the way, how are Gillis' first couple of first round picks doing? You know, Cody Hodgson and Jordan Schroeder, they turned out to be real frackin' gems, didn't they? No Picks for the first four fracking rounds the year after that in a league that is obviously leaning towards youth? B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T!

well our future core is looking like horvat, mccann, virtanen, baertschi, gaunce, boeser, markstrom, hutton, subban, pedan,

half of those players are benning acquisitions and he did it in only a year so I would have to disagree.

I would be absolutely shocked if Subban ever plays more than a handful of games in the NHL.

He is by far the most overrated prospect we have ever had in our organization. He is not only short but extremely weak. Peope who call him a brick *hithouse clearly have no clue what a brick *hithouse is.

He never got a shot at a preseason game because he is that low on our depth chart. So small that management didn't want to waste their time evaluating someone who is physically incapable of playing in the NHL western conference.

Their are a handful of small, successful D men in the league today, that are on a completely different talent level than Subban.

It's sad, and unsettling, but it's reality. Feel free to quote me on this.

By the way, how are Gillis' first couple of first round picks doing? You know, Cody Hodgson and Jordan Schroeder, they turned out to be real frackin' gems, didn't they? No Picks for the first four fracking rounds the year after that in a league that is obviously leaning towards youth? B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T!

Tbf, Hodgson has all the tools to succeed in the NHL. Idk what happened in his 2014-15 season but all the others before that were really good. I'm sure everyone on here would jump at having a more humbled Hodgson back for a good deal.

There was nothing to gut when Gillis took over. Nonis didn't leave much to work with.

You are correct in one sense,...but Gillis had many players entering their prime when he took over as GM (Edler,Kesler,Sedins,..basically the core..etc)...He didn't need a prospect pool at that point....Gillis should have dismantled/recycled that core earlier IMO....Benning did not inherit a whole lot as far as prospects when he got here.

Thought this was a thread-worthy post.

With McCann looking like a very good prospect and Markstrom looking real damn good today, I'm starting to think that GMMG maybe didn't get out GM'd.

And this isn't all of it.

Of course, we hated Gillis for trading Schneider (one of the up and coming goalies in the league) for a #9 pick but he went on and picked BoHo.

We questioned Gillis's drafting at times but he's drafted steals with Hutton, Subban and Cassels to go along with his solid early round draft picks in Shink and Gaunce.

The rebuild is looking more likely all because of MG's moves, not JB's. In fact, JB's trades leave a lot to be desired. And while I don't want to judge his drafting yet, I'm also having my doubts.

Even a stopped clock gets it right twice.

Gillis did do some good things but in the SIX YEARS of drafting he was here I think his re-stocking has been pretty miserable. I think we will see that JB has achieved as much in 2 years as Gillis did in 6.

Thought this was a thread-worthy post.

With McCann looking like a very good prospect and Markstrom looking real damn good today, I'm starting to think that GMMG maybe didn't get out GM'd.

And this isn't all of it.

Of course, we hated Gillis for trading Schneider (one of the up and coming goalies in the league) for a #9 pick but he went on and picked BoHo.

We questioned Gillis's drafting at times but he's drafted steals with Hutton, Subban and Cassels to go along with his solid early round draft picks in Shink and Gaunce.

The rebuild is looking more likely all because of MG's moves, not JB's. In fact, JB's trades leave a lot to be desired. And while I don't want to judge his drafting yet, I'm also having my doubts.

You will create a thread like this 2 years after JB is fired about JB

If Nonis left Gillis nothing to work with (then Gillis left Benning with nothing).....thats pretty sad....Pretty much a decade of missed opportunity......Hats off to Burke,who drafted the 2011 Canucks.

20/20 hindsight is exactly why such a thread can be created. GMMG was criticized for his trades mostly but most of them seem to be panning out.

Given the round they were drafted at, Subban, Cassels, and Hutton have to be considered steals if they succeed.

Btw, I never said that Shink and Gaunce were steals. Rather, good acquisitions.

You're the kinda guy that dedicates his time to posting about why threads shouldn't be created instead of actually participating. Good going.

Really?

I think he was criticised for a hell of a lot more than that.

As for drafting. I think it works out less than one probable/possible success per year.

Hodgson may not have been his fault but in the end we got almost nothing for him, similarly with Schroeder, Sweatt and a few other faceless wonders. At present his stock is relying on Bo, Gaunce,Grenier, Subban and Hutton and I think 3 of those will be near certainties for success.

I don't grudge Gillis getting some success with his drafting, even if it is comparatively woeful for 6 years of draft, it is all the other things he was responsible for that makes me angry. The main one being his crass inability to help the 2011 team to their destiny which surely was a Stanley Cup, maybe 2.

I disagree gillis was a good gm and gets unfairly bashed. His drafting wasn't zen like but it was quite good especially in hindsight. Gaunce looks like a future playoff performer and leader, Shinkaruk once he matures physically should be a good NHL player. Jensen still has a chance I wouldn't completely write him off. Hutton, cassels, subban, horvat of course, the new saviour. Markstrom who should be our starter. The list goes on.

One of the worst threads I've seen. In terms of stupidity at least.

First, what makes you think Gaunce is a future playoff performer? No one knows that.

What about shinkaruk? Dude hasn't even done a thing in the AHL.

Markstrom should be our starter? Because of what, a preseason game? Miller is nowhere close to losing the starters gig. Markstrom has promise, but hes always been absolutely awful in the NHL. Yet he should be our starter? Cmon man.

Also, love how the point of this thread is to say we were wrong about Gillis being a bad gm, yet you criticize benning. Maybe benning is doing a good job, and you just haven't seen it yet?

Sometimes those nagging doubts in the back of your head that something isn't quite right and maybe I shouldn't hit post need to be listened to.

Gillis had the good fortune to be around when Burke's team hit their prime and went on to be the best Canucks team of all time. What he did best was coasted. His drafting was very poor - after Horvat zero of his picks have panned out in the NHL so far. Looks around at ANA, CAL, EDM, LA and see how many of their picks are NHL regulars in that time frame. THN ranked us at the bottom as far as prospects go until last year, now we are trending better (Benning is the reason for that). His trades - make Bennings look like we stole the players we got - and his biggest mistakes - his non-trades that he should have made to keep our team on or near the top (and competitive in the playoffs - since 2011...well we all know how well that has gone). Don't know why I am wasting time on this, it's just hard to believe anyone would look back at Gillis with any sort of positive slant. The way he got rid of TWO franchise goalies...for... uggh can't say anything else on this subject it still creates indigestion.

If Nonis left Gillis nothing to work with (then Gillis left Benning with nothing).....thats pretty sad....Pretty much a decade of missed opportunity......Hats off to Burke,who drafted the 2011 Canucks.

Gillis at least left Benning something to work with regarding prospects. What did Nonis leave? Patrick White?

Added to the 2011 team by Gillis:

Dan Hamhuis

Christian Ehrhoff

Mikael Samuelsson

Manny Malhotra

Chris Higgins

Maxim Lapierre

Raffi Torres

There's others who were support guys but the above all played a major part in the Presidents Cup and/or the Stanley Cup run. Then of course there's Luongo who we can thank Nonis for. Personally I think it's the only thing we can really thank Nonis for.

The truth is every new GM inherits pieces from the previous one. Some just inherit more than others. Nonis had some pretty decent prospects from Burke but didn't leave much for Gillis. Gillis left considerably more for Benning than he got from Nonis. Time will tell but I suspect Benning has done better in two drafts than Gillis did his entire tenure here.

I would be absolutely shocked if Subban ever plays more than a handful of games in the NHL.

He is by far the most overrated prospect we have ever had in our organization. He is not only short but extremely weak. Peope who call him a brick *hithouse clearly have no clue what a brick *hithouse is.

He never got a shot at a preseason game because he is that low on our depth chart. So small that management didn't want to waste their time evaluating someone who is physically incapable of playing in the NHL western conference.

Their are a handful of small, successful D men in the league today, that are on a completely different talent level than Subban.

It's sad, and unsettling, but it's reality. Feel free to quote me on this.

If Subban doesn't make it in the NHL, it won't be because he's weak. The guy can do more in the weight room than all but a few on the big club. You don't know what you're talking about here.

If Subban doesn't make it in the NHL, it won't be because he's weak. The guy can do more in the weight room than all but a few on the big club. You don't know what you're talking about here.

What are you talking about? The whopping 200lbs he was squatting on his Twitter account?

Look at his arms, his neck, his legs, he is very physically immature. That is why he didn't even get a look in the preseason.

The returns we got for Luongo & Schneider were a joke,

At the time of the trade, Schneider had played a grand total of 98 NHL games, and won 55 games. While I really like Schneider and watched him first hand quite a bit when he played for the Moose, I challenge you to name one other team that managed to get a top 10 pick for any goalie in the last decade, let alone one that played as few games as Schneider had.

As for Luongo, nobody ever questioned whether he was a good goaltender. The challenge in moving him was due to his contract and the CBA retroactively working against the Canucks at that point. By all accounts, getting anything for Luongo was a win.

Archived