The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Looks Better With Every Passing Day

guntrix

Thought this was a thread-worthy post.

With McCann looking like a very good prospect and Markstrom looking real damn good today, I'm starting to think that GMMG maybe didn't get out GM'd.

And this isn't all of it.

Of course, we hated Gillis for trading Schneider (one of the up and coming goalies in the league) for a #9 pick but he went on and picked BoHo.

We questioned Gillis's drafting at times but he's drafted steals with Hutton, Subban and Cassels to go along with his solid early round draft picks in Shink and Gaunce.

The rebuild is looking more likely all because of MG's moves, not JB's. In fact, JB's trades leave a lot to be desired. And while I don't want to judge his drafting yet, I'm also having my doubts.

You thought wrong!

The rebuild is looking more likely? What are you talking about? The rebuild is ON...and it's on because Gillis gutted this organization's depth with poor drafting and trading of middle round picks. There's a reason he was canned. He left nothing in the damn cupboard and the current management team is trying to build it back up with smart drafting and trading of those NTC's that Gillis handed out like it was Halloween candy.

About the only thing in your post I can agree with is that the jury is still out on Benning's ability to pull off a decent trade.

Thought this was a thread-worthy post.

With McCann looking like a very good prospect and Markstrom looking real damn good today, I'm starting to think that GMMG maybe didn't get out GM'd.

And this isn't all of it.

Of course, we hated Gillis for trading Schneider (one of the up and coming goalies in the league) for a #9 pick but he went on and picked BoHo.

We questioned Gillis's drafting at times but he's drafted steals with Hutton, Subban and Cassels to go along with his solid early round draft picks in Shink and Gaunce.

The rebuild is looking more likely all because of MG's moves, not JB's. In fact, JB's trades leave a lot to be desired. And while I don't want to judge his drafting yet, I'm also having my doubts.

Well just so you know,I will give you this tidbit once and once only in defence of gillis ,schneider let the canucks know that he wasnt playing another game with the nucks after a certain teamate was banging his wife ,makes you realize why a certain other player wanted out of town. At the time I thought the trade felt confusing.anyway keep it in the short grass people.

Gillis was a great GM. However, I don't say that because of his drafting.

First round picks showing NHL potential shouldn't be considered some sort of fantastic feat.

Hutton sure looks like a steal. But every team gets a guy like that every once in a while too.

But about the drafting, the Canucks were notoriously horrible drafters even before MG arrived. IIRC, MG invested a lot into the scouting and eventually it began bearing fruit.

Harold Snepsts, Stan Smyl, Patrick Sundstrom, Igor Larionov, Cam Neely, Trevor Linden, Pavel Bure, Mike Peca, Petr Nedved, Mattias Ohlund, Adrian Aucoin, RJ Umberger, Kevin Bieksa, Ryan Kesler, Corey Schneider, Alex Edler & some guys named Sedin....just to name a few.

Never had a number one pick, not too many top 10 picks either. Notoriously horrible drafters my ass.

You will create a thread like this 2 years after JB is fired about JB

to me Mike Gillis was a GM like alot of others. Some strengths and some weaknesses. People gripe about all the NTC he have out. Alot more complain about them now than then. He gave out NTC to keep the cap hit down which he did. He did it and it granted us a few years of being at the top of the league and a cup final which we really should have won.

The Luongo contract; well my take on that is that had he not given Luongo that contract he would have lost him for nothing to fa. In Luongos mind he was compensating himself for playing somewhere he would rather not be. I just believe Luo would have rather played out east so he put a gun to gmmg head on that one. I can't prove that just mho.

It's easy to criticize MG without looking at the circumstances surrounding the things he did.

As far as drafting goes he sucked. He was a player agent prior as opposed to jb who has been right in the hockey side of things for years. Both gms were talking about have deficiencies. Some day jim benning tenure will be done here.

What are you talking about? The whopping 200lbs he was squatting on his Twitter account?

Look at his arms, his neck, his legs, he is very physically immature. That is why he didn't even get a look in the preseason.

Subban has done 270 for 10 reps in June 2014, this May did 340 for 3 reps & this July did 300 for 5 reps before tossing on another 10lbs for another 5 reps.

Have another bite of crow, it goes down real easy with a swig of Haterade.

Harold Snepsts, Stan Smyl, Patrick Sundstrom, Igor Larionov, Cam Neely, Trevor Linden, Pavel Bure, Mike Peca, Petr Nedved, Mattias Ohlund, Adrian Aucoin, RJ Umberger, Kevin Bieksa, Ryan Kesler, Corey Schneider, Alex Edler & some guys named Sedin....just to name a few.

Never had a number one pick, not too many top 10 picks either. Notoriously horrible drafters my ass.

your talking over a 40 year span. That's half a player a year.

your talking over a 40 year span. That's half a player a year.

Those are just some of the top players the Canucks drafted, not every player who the Canucks drafted & went on to have a steady NHL career. Half a player a year going on to become fairly high end talent? Yeah, that's pretty good drafting.

I believe that Eric Crafword ran the draft that selected Cassels, Subban, Gaunce and Shink. Gillis had final say in the draft, butEric recommended the players.

JB drafted McCann!

Eric was also the one that wNted Canucks to get Kassian.

JB chose McCann all by himself because of his "honest game," everyone else wanted Ho-Sang - my god that would have been a classic Canucks disaster move

Mike Gillis was a good GM, and yes his 2013 draft was outstanding. However, it was all of his previous drafts that put us in this hole. 2008-2011 really screwed us over, not a single good prospect turned out. Some looked like good picks at the time, like Schroeder and Jensen, but the blunders from those drafts set us back quite a ways. I still shudder at the thought of Rodin. Also, McCaan was not a Gillis pick.

i wonder if canucks won game 7 if this conversation will ever come up. MG inherited Dave Nonis' core and built on it so that the canucks come with 1 game of winning the first ever stanley cup.

when team goes south, GM usually changes strategy and switch to stocking prospect, and this usually will get the GM canned and the next GM walks in with a prospect pool to deal with.

Happened to gillis when he walked in, happened to Bowman when he walked into Chicago, and damn well happened to Chiarelli.

It's just the lifecycle of a GM in prosport for a particular team. However, I would put Gillis as one of the best GMs in canucks franchise history.

The thing is, you never really know until you know, like a previous poster said hindsight ladies and gentlemen, is 20/20. So the moves that JB made that are being criticized, could very well turn out to be gems in the future. I tend to trust that i'm not in the NHL for a reason and let the professionals do their jobs, because what do I know.

Gillis would still be GM if the owners didn't interfere. Gillis wanted to rebuild, owners didn't*. Gillis wanted to trade Kesler, owners didn't*. My guess is that the owners wanted to keep Luongo over Schneider, hence, Aquafan was sitting on Luongo's couch on draft day when Schneider was traded. Torts? Who hired him?

* allegedly

Archived