The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Preseason performances: reality vs business of what starting roster should be

TheRussianRocket.

Hey all, Swiss guy here.

Based on what I saw so far, I don't think that Virtanen or Gaunce are NHL-ready yet. It just wouldn't be smart to rush them when there's no need to. But other than most of you I feel like Grenier should make this team. I even think that he would work perfectly with the twins. Play him 10mins a game and let Vrbata und Burrows do the rest.

Plus, McCann and Hutton were just too good to be sent down. They should at least start in the NHL as they deserve a chance to show what they can bring to the team. Preseason is nice but a completely different story. They just need to find out if they can do this night in night out if it actually matters. They can still get sent down if they're not ready but I'd be really disappointed if they don't get their chance. And with a chance I don't mean 5mins in a shutdown role. Also nobody really needs players like Fedun, Bartkowski, Prust or Cracknell anyway.

My opening lineup:

Burrows, Horvat, HansenSedin, Sedin, Grenier

Baertschi, McCann, Vrbata

Kenins, Sutter, Dorsett

Vey, Cracknell

Edler, Tanev

Hutton, Sbisa

Hamhuis, Weber

Biega

PP1: Edler, Tanev, Sedin, Sedin, Burrows

PP2: Hutton, Weber, Baertschi, Horvat, Vrbata

Gaunce? Really?

:blink: x2

Didn't know emotion is reality when our youngsters are clearly playing better than some of our roster players. But okay.

By your logic, McCann and Gaunce have outplayed Henrik and Sutter so I guess they should be looking to punt both of them.

Why is this the first preseason in ages where everyone seems to be drunk or high when they are posting? The team finally gets a few decent prospects around and there are boners for them all over the place based on 3 games.

Gaunce? Really?

We just can't give everyone a roster spot to everyone who scores a preseason goal against some other rookies. Don't get me wrong. Keranen and Gaunce showed some good things. They just weren't as consistent and outstanding as others. Gotta bring it everytime. And I think that that's what camps are all about and what seperates a prospect from an NHL-regular.

By your logic, McCann and Gaunce have outplayed Henrik and Sutter so I guess they should be looking to punt both of them.

Why is this the first preseason in ages where everyone seems to be drunk or high when they are posting? The team finally gets a few decent prospects around and there are boners for them all over the place based on 3 games.

Sedin's and the top veterans are in a completely different category than the other fringe roster players lol.

Seems you're response is more full of emotion than anything lol

We just can't give everyone a roster spot who scores a preseason goal against some other rookies. Don't get me wrong. Keranen and Gaunce showed some good things. They just weren't as consistent and outstanding as others. Gotta bring it everytime. And I think that that's what camps are all about and what seperates a prospect from an NHL-regular.

Gaunce has outplayed every other prospect, imo.

Coaches aren't comparing what rookies did in preseason compared to what vets did in preseason. THey are comparing what rookies do in preseason to what they know vets can do in the regular season. Big difference. That's the comparison so we need to stop saying this vet or that vet hasn't perform ed as well as so and so rookie. Sutters performance will step up once the season starts. That's foregone conclusion.

Coaches aren't comparing what rookies did in preseason compared to what vets did in preseason. THey are comparing what rookies do in preseason to what they know vets can do in the regular season. Big difference. That's the comparison so we need to stop saying this vet or that vet hasn't perform ed as well as so and so rookie. Sutters performance will step up once the season starts. That's foregone conclusion.

Agree for vets with guaranteed spots......Vey does not have a guaranteed spot, and though he has played better than most give him credit for, he's been badly outplayed by both Gaunce and McCaan.......the two kids who could take that 4c spot from him.

Same with Corrado and Hutton

Agree for vets with guaranteed spots......Vey does not have a guaranteed spot, and though he has played better than most give him credit for, he's been badly outplayed by both Gaunce and McCaan.......the two kids who could take that 4c spot from him.

Same with Corrado and Hutton

Corrado has been nothing but terrible. Not even close from being NHL-ready.

And I wouldn't keep even one of those kids with the intention of giving them 4th line minutes with some plugs. That's just a waste of time and talent. That's exactly how you shouldn't treat your prospects. Especially a guy like McCann who's clearly never going to be a 4th liner.

Corrado has been nothing but terrible. Not even close from being NHL-ready.

And I wouldn't keep even one of those kids with the intention of giving them 4th line minutes with some plugs. That's just a waste of time and talent. That's exactly how you shouldn't treat your prospects. Especially a guy like McCann who's clearly never going to be a 4th liner.

Woosh......you missed what I was saying, completely.

IMO the main thing is getting Jake and McCann their nine games. Pre-season is different and it makes sense to see what they can do in real games. It also makes no sense to lose guys like Vey on the waiver wire. JB will see where the team is at and go from there.

It won't hurt the other guys to play in Utica for a month or two. There will be less pressure on guys like Gaunce and Hutton in December (compared to the start of the season).

Just for the sake of discussion, considering there's a number of comments about McCann not being a 4th line center:

Bo Horvat

Some CDCers thought Bo was being set up to fail, thrown to the wolves, playing 4th line as a teenager.... No, McCann is not nearly as strong or as good on the dot as Bo, but we've got some big boys than can shelter youngins from the thugs.

Do I think McCann is ready? I'd like to see him play a few in reg season before I say for sure, but right now.. he's better than Vey. Like Vey's strong enough for 4th line, kids a wet noodle, but we need someone to feed the expansion draft and McCann might be better served to play a few in the reg season then go run game back in OHL.

You can only have a 23 man roster. 20 guys starting and 3 sitting IIRC.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

Dorsett - McCann - Virtanen

Prust

Vey

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Weber

Sbisa - Corrado

Bartkowski

Miller

Markstrom

= 23; not sure if Higgins count since he's injured.

Just for the sake of discussion, considering there's a number of comments about McCann not being a 4th line center:

Bo Horvat

Some CDCers thought Bo was being set up to fail, thrown to the wolves, playing 4th line as a teenager.... No, McCann is not nearly as strong or as good on the dot as Bo, but we've got some big boys than can shelter youngins from the thugs.

Do I think McCann is ready? I'd like to see him play a few in reg season before I say for sure, but right now.. he's better than Vey. Like Vey's strong enough for 4th line, kids a wet noodle, but we need someone to feed the expansion draft and McCann might be better served to play a few in the reg season then go run game back in OHL.

Exactly. And him on the 4th line would be 12 minutes a night regularly + extra special teams time if he gets any. And than if he's doing well can be promoted up the lineup slowly if need be.

We got 12 Forwards with NHL contracts plus Horvat who won't get sent down. As Higgins is out, we got 12 Forwards plus 6 Defenders. Benning said that they'll make room for young guys who earn themselves a spot. I don't believe him. Our vets either just got signed / acquired, got a bad contract or are just too good to give away. As Higgins is injured, the only three players Benning could move are Vrbata, Hansen and Hamhuis. Although we probably agree that they're no superstars, they're too good to trade at that point. Trading even one of them would mean to go into rebuild mode and push for Matthews.

What he could do is to put players like Vey on waivers, but that's never gonna happen. Offseason acquisions Bartkowski, Prust and Sutter could become a real problem. Maybe Sutter can finally pick himself up, but I just can't see why Bartkowski and Prust should be on our roster let alone at 1,75M and 2,5M

As McCann, Hutton and Biega had a strong camp, I'd like to think that they at least start the season in the nhl.

Assuming that Desjardins will manage to hold his own against Benning my prediction would be that we start like this:

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows

Baertschi, Sutter, Vrbata

Kenins, Horvat, Hansen

Prust, McCann, Dorsett

Vey

Edler, Tanev

Hutton, Sbisa

Hamhuis, Weber

Bartkowski, Biega

If they're gonna keep McCann, the center position will be the biggest problem. I know that Desjardins played McCann on the wing for a few minutes, but I can't see that happening in the regular season. If they decide to keep him, they need to play him and put him in a familiar position. As they probably won't Sedin, Sutter or Horvat, this means that Vey would need to make room. Not sure Benning actually wants this to happen.

Anyways, after the sharks game I'd like to see:

Sedin, Sedin, Dorsett

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen

Gaunce, Sutter, Kenins

Vey, Cracknell

Edler, Tanev

Hutton, Sbisa

Hamhuis, Weber

Biega

It will be key to find a winger for the Sedins. In my view it has to be a right shot. Sadly, our best one, Vrbata, doesn't click with them and we need him to provide some depth. Only options left are Grenier, Dorsett or Hansen. Grenier sadly wasn't all that good yesterday and probably won't make it this year. As I still like the idea of having an energy guy with the Sedins, I'd give Dorsett, who looked pretty good recently, a chance and give Vrbata and Burrows some extra shifts.

Still not too sure about Gaunce at this point but even after the incident I thought he played a pretty solid game against a veteran nhl roster.

We got 12 Forwards with NHL contracts plus Horvat who won't get sent down. As Higgins is out, we got 12 Forwards plus 6 Defenders. Benning said that they'll make room for young guys who earn themselves a spot. I don't believe him. Our vets either just got signed / acquired, got a bad contract or are just too good to give away. As Higgins is injured, the only three players Benning could move are Vrbata, Hansen and Hamhuis. Although we probably agree that they're no superstars, they're too good to trade at that point. Trading even one of them would mean to go into rebuild mode and push for Matthews.

What he could do is to put players like Vey on waivers, but that's never gonna happen. Offseason acquisions Bartkowski, Prust and Sutter could become a real problem. Maybe Sutter can finally pick himself up, but I just can't see why Bartkowski and Prust should be on our roster let alone at 1,75M and 2,5M

As McCann, Hutton and Biega had a strong camp, I'd like to think that they at least start the season in the nhl.

Assuming that Desjardins will manage to hold his own against Benning my prediction would be that we start like this:

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows

Baertschi, Sutter, Vrbata

Kenins, Horvat, Hansen

Prust, McCann, Dorsett

Vey

Edler, Tanev

Hutton, Sbisa

Hamhuis, Weber

Bartkowski, Biega

If they're gonna keep McCann, the center position will be the biggest problem. I know that Desjardins played McCann on the wing for a few minutes, but I can't see that happening in the regular season. If they decide to keep him, they need to play him and put him in a familiar position. As they probably won't Sedin, Sutter or Horvat, this means that Vey would need to make room. Not sure Benning actually wants this to happen.

Anyways, after the sharks game I'd like to see:

Sedin, Sedin, Dorsett

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen

Gaunce, Sutter, Kenins

Vey, Cracknell

Edler, Tanev

Hutton, Sbisa

Hamhuis, Weber

Biega

It will be key to find a winger for the Sedins. In my view it has to be a right shot. Sadly, our best one, Vrbata, doesn't click with them and we need him to provide some depth. Only options left are Grenier, Dorsett or Hansen. Grenier sadly wasn't all that good yesterday and probably won't make it this year. As I still like the idea of having an energy guy with the Sedins, I'd give Dorsett, who looked pretty good recently, a chance and give Vrbata and Burrows some extra shifts.

Still not too sure about Gaunce at this point but even after the incident I thought he played a pretty solid game against a veteran nhl roster.

Not even a mention of Virtanen?

Archived