The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question/Come on already

Burepavel

1. Does anyone know what the rule is with regards to sending a player on a NTC down to Utica and how that would effect their ability to be picked up off of waivers? Is this even possible with a player granted a NTC?

2. People have to get off this thing about how we are not young gun friendly. WD used Bo in key situations like crazy last year. His Ice time was increased, he was used on key defensive draws and even killed penalties. He has no problem putting trust in players that earn it.

3. We all know Linden Vey got out played but the reality of the situation is you have to manage your assets. They are not going to let him walk without trying to trade him first. They gave up a second for him they will try to recoup something. Furthermore, players like Corrado, Sibisasaksjklas and Bart will not make it through waivers nor do I see why they would send them down to Utica. Hutton needs to stay... I agree with everyone but they will need time to make room to allow that to occur so we don't lose players for nothing. So don't have an aneurysm when they don't make the team, they will all eventually be here.

4. Saw this on a website somewhere but can't recall who it was that said it and I haven't seen it pop up here but what about that Bar-Hor-Virt line last night? .... Clever if I say so myself.

Shout out to who ever came up with that.

Peace

1. Does anyone know what the rule is with regards to sending a player on a NTC down to Utica and how that would effect their ability to be picked up off of waivers? Is this even possible with a player granted a NTC?

If I am not mistaken, a player with a NTC can still be sent to the minors, whereas a player with a No Movement Clause cannot. Waiver rules would still apply.

If I am not mistaken, a player with a NTC can still be sent to the minors, whereas a player with a No Movement Clause cannot. Waiver rules would still apply.

Yeah, if I recall, Sheldon Souray and Wade Redden both had NTC's, but both got buried in the minors.

Technically a team could ask a player with an NMC if they were okay with being waived, and the player could say yes...but the odds of that happening are slim to none. Otherwise, this is correct.

Does the cap still apply when they go down?

This is where one and two way contracts come into play. A player with a one way contract receives his nhl salary regardless of where he plays and a percentage of his salary count against the cap despite being in the ahl.

But do they still need to clear waivers? Can they be claimed by another team, it's not a trade?

Who cares how many posts someone has!!!! What does that have any bearing on the post that was just made. All of what the OP asked/mentioned is valid.

people who've been around for over a decade have an 'old money' mentality... it's kinda cute.

How do you waive real good locker room glue?

He'll probably be in Utica for a few games when his foot heals, maybe they can just, I dunno, "forget" him there....

I love this forum! You guys always give my a good chuckle now and then. Maybe Higgins, Vey, and Jensen could get "lost" together?

But do they still need to clear waivers? Can they be claimed by another team, it's not a trade?

Any player waiver eligible can be claimed. Even those with the ntc..

I believe the three posts above clarify the situation correctly. This is the main difference between a no trade clause (NTC) and a no movement clause (NMC) and explains why teams are less willing to hand out NMCs.

Thus, for example, Burrows has an NTC. If the Canucks decided he was not worth a spot on the 23 man roster they could put him on waivers for assignment to the minors. EIther he would be claimed on waivers or would end up in the minors but, either way, he would be off the 23 man roster.

The Sedins have NMCs. No matter how badly they play, they cannot be sent to the minors.

(I am not suggesting that either Burrows or the Sedins will play badly.)

So players like having an NMC as it prevents being sent to the minors.

But with the new cap rules, the incentive to waive players with NTCs is much reduced as most of their salary (all but about a million) still counts against the cap.

As has already been stated, a ntc does not restrict assigning a player to the minors. Normal waiver rules would apply-if the player is not exempt because of years and NHL games played, he is subject to waivers before being assigned and a ntc has no bearing on it. As has also been pointed out, a nmc restricts assigning a player to the minors or loaning him elsewhere or placing a player on waivers. A team also can't expose a player with a nmc to an expansion draft.

Does the cap still apply when they go down?

This is where one and two way contracts come into play. A player with a one way contract receives his nhl salary regardless of where he plays and a percentage of his salary count against the cap despite being in the ahl.

One way vs 2 way contracts affect how much a player makes in the minors.

However, if a player makes enough, the amount he is making may still apply against the cap. The first $375K plus the NHL minimum salary if paid to a player in the minors doesn't count against the cap, but any excess does. The current NHL minimum is $575K, so only amounts in excess of $950K ($575K+$375K) paid to a minor league player count against the cap. Theoretically that applies to players on 2 way contracts as well (CBA 50.5B(vi)) but in practice we don't see 2 way contracts with payments in the minors being that high.

Archived