The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has anyone been to Japan?

Scottish⑦Canuck

I love Japan. Been twice in the last 3 years. Of course everything depends on what you're into. Nerdy stuff (video games, techie stuff) go to Akihabara... That's in Tokyo. Music stuff (instruments, sheet music) is in the Ochanomizu (sp) district in Tokyo. Ginza is good for shopping. Also for the golfer, in a large shopping center in Akihabara, there is an enclosed driving range at the top of the building.

I also went to Osaka, harder to converse, but people are much more friendlier there than in Tokyo. I went to Osaka Castle, which was more enjoyable on the outside than the inside, but a history buff might enjoy the inside.

Don't forget that you can get beer in vending machines. Tipping isn't expected. Use two hands when giving anything to anyone else.

I've been a few times, but never too far outside of the Tokyo area as that's where all my family's located. Asakusa's probably one of my favourite areas to find odd little souvenirs and such. If you plan on buying any clothes make sure you buy at least one size up from what you normally wear (I'm a medium shirt here but a large or more there...) Oh, and be prepared to spend a lot on transportation cause those subway/train rides definitely add up, hah.

If its a nice day outside, the Tokyo Tower's a good place to check out cause when you get to the top you get a nice 360 view of the whole city. But that's probably in any standard guidebook anyway.

I've been a few times, but never too far outside of the Tokyo area as that's where all my family's located. Asakusa's probably one of my favourite areas to find odd little souvenirs and such. If you plan on buying any clothes make sure you buy at least one size up from what you normally wear (I'm a medium shirt here but a large or more there...) Oh, and be prepared to spend a lot on transportation cause those subway/train rides definitely add up, hah.

If its a nice day outside, the Tokyo Tower's a good place to check out cause when you get to the top you get a nice 360 view of the whole city. But that's probably in any standard guidebook anyway.

I bought one of those 7 day rail passes. I can travel on JR trains anywhere (including the Skinkansen) but I think subways and city railways I have to pay for. I need to figure out reservations and all that but it should be OK.

The language barrier might be a problem for me. I've been trying to learn a bit but I'm struggling a bit. It's pretty different to the languages I've learned already.

I'm going to Japan next week for 10 days (starting in Tokyo for a few nights, then onto Kyoto, Hiroshima and Osaka).

Any advice and must sees that might not be in the guidebooks? Is Nara worth a visit given my limited time in Kyoto and Osaka?

Visit Yasukuni Shrine and bring a Korean flag with you. Or a sign saying "Korean Dokdo" or something. I hear they will shower you with kisses.

I have lived in Japan for 20 years including 12 in Osaka. Nara is I think a must see. It is a very small city you can easily walk around. There is the Giant Buddha and Kasuga Taisha. Osaka is a city of eating and shopping and there is universal studios. The castle was rebuilt in 1955. It is unimpressive, but if you go on a weekend especially Sunday you will see a lot of different groups doing their hobbies at the park, that is dancing circles, rock bands and all kinds of people do things that you don't see in Canada. As well if you want to see a real castle there is Himeji castle which in an hour outside of Osaka. It has been used in all kinds of movies including the last samurai. It depends on what you want to see, but if I had time in Tokyo, and Hiroshima, I would skip Osaka and go to Nara. Nara is very different from all the other cities you are going to visit.

Archived