The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the Rebuild ahead of schedule?

*Buzzsaw*

My thoughts in bold.

From my perspective we have had a lot of good news surprises in Training camp.

McCann - Ahead of expected pace of development, great vision, takes his opportunities and capitalizes - Agreed

Hutton - Out of the blue... we have a puck moving rookie defenseman - Somewhat out of the blue. He was good, but never this good.

Baertschi - From a question mark to playing on the 2nd line - He's had good flashes, but I'm not convinced he'll be consistent.

Horvat - Seems like a lock on 2nd line center - I'd say he's proven he can play on the 2nd line, but I wouldn't say he's a lock yet; Sutter will probably get a long, hard look.

Virtanen - Solid on the 4th line - Definitely solid and could fit on the 4th line. We'll see if he sticks around.

Markstrom - From a question mark to solid backup - Agreed here. He has yet to post solid regular season NHL numbers, so hopefully those come this year.

Combine the above with the trades and pickups, and it looks like the team will still be contending for a playoff spot while simultaneously getting younger.

Comments?

Overall, I'd say the "rebuild" is indeed ahead of expected schedule. We have so many potential regulars that we may need to begin unloading other assets earlier than expected (ie. Hansen, Higgins, Vrbata). I'd still wait til at least the trade deadline to get some over payments though. I'm hesitant to trade Hamhuis because I think he brings a lot of stability and leadership to our blue line, but if we can get a good return for him, I won't complain much.

There's more depth in the system than your implying. Gaunce and Cassels, although natural centerman, might have to be converted to wing if they ever have a shot at making this team so there's a couple bottom 6 guys to look forwards to.

It's hard to find a top pairing D man when the club hasn't drafted a defenceman in the first round since 2005, yet Hutton looks as if he can be that mobile top 4 your talking about. As for big bodies to clear the front of the net, Pedan and Tryamkin are have that potential although top 4 could be a stretch.

I'm not sure Cassels should be switching to the wing considering how much of natural centreman he is. He wins face-offs like no tomorrow. I do agree that Hutton could become a great top-4 puck mover, but we'll see how he progresses against men.

Pedan impressed me this pre-season. I still think he'll cap out at a 5/6 d-man, but I'm more convinced that he's got the tools to make it now.

I'm not sure Cassels should be switching to the wing considering how much of natural centreman he is. He wins face-offs like no tomorrow. I do agree that Hutton could become a great top-4 puck mover, but we'll see how he progresses against men.

Pedan impressed me this pre-season. I still think he'll cap out at a 5/6 d-man, but I'm more convinced that he's got the tools to make it now.

Your right in a way I mean for the foreseeable future the center position will be locked up by Hank, Bo, Sutter, and McCann leaving considerable time before Cassels has a sniff at cracking the roster at center. Pending how he plays in the AHL and wether or not he is capable of becoming an NHL calibre center, he's in extremely tough making it as a center and perhaps Green could try him at wing ala Gaunce if he struggles.

A re-build is when you start moving top players still more or less in their prime (e.g. Kesler) because you've decided your current core isn't good enough to contend. It's not about backfilling a lost decade of bad drafting, which can't really be done. So by this definition, our rebuild began with the trading of Kesler. And it absolutely is ahead of schedule.

From my perspective we have had a lot of good news surprises in Training camp.

McCann - Ahead of expected pace of development, great vision, takes his opportunities and capitalizes

Hutton - Out of the blue... we have a puck moving rookie defenseman

Baertschi - From a question mark to playing on the 2nd line

Horvat - Seems like a lock on 2nd line center

Virtanen - Solid on the 4th line

Markstrom - From a question mark to solid backup

Combine the above with the trades and pickups, and it looks like the team will still be contending for a playoff spot while simultaneously getting younger.

Comments?

My only complaint was about the defense but then Hutton comes out of nowhere. Our next focus needs to be drafting some high-end defensive talent in the 2016 draft. We should pick up some draft picks at the deadline, then go into the draft hopefully with 2 picks in each of the first 2 rounds, then hit free agency with close to $20M and then we will come storming out of the gate next season. However, I am also now more optimistic about this season.

At this point the back half of the rebuild shows much promise...the future looks bright. But for this rebuild (or re-tool) to be truly a success then the front half of the bridge (the Sedins) also needs to be secure. If we can get just 1 or 2 more top line seasons out of the twins, while 1 or 2 prospects develop into top line talent, then we have succeeded, if not then the rebuild was a fail as we did not achieve the goal of being an upper tier team again. Then the Sedin's will slip back in the line-up and we'll be trading prospects and picks to gain a new 1st line...rebuild 2.0. So here's hoping we get it right the first time (the next 12-18 months as a Canucks fan is going to be a roller coaster ride for sure).

YES! Are you kidding me?! Without a doubt it's way ahead of schedule! Let's be real here...no one predicted McCann or Hutton to be even a consideration this year. No one! Spare me "it's only pre-season" comments as well...these kids are hungry. They are the very definition of "character and gritty" players--sheer will to make an impact while utilizing their "skills". Markstrom is a beast at 6'6" but what I love is that chip on his shoulder and plays hard.

Quit crying about Defense. In the pipeline: Subban, Traymakin (sp? The big Russian!) and my dark horse is Olson. I think this kid is going to come out of the woodwork much like Hutton. Yes, he's undeveloped physically etc...but he's exactly where's he's supposed to be. Don't forget about: Hunter, Cole, Demko, and Brock.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Much like the Pats...Dynasty. Multiple Cups, multiple. Whether or not they make team this year (which they should) I applaude the work ethic of Virtanen and McCann. That's what my beloved Canucks have lacked for so many years. Move forward with that tempo and resolve every shift, every game and never let anyone out work you. Ever. We will be alright.

Eddie and Zack who? No one expected this conundrum heading towards October 7! You either have that "fire" and drive or you don't. It's that simple. That's what I want expected from any/ all future Canuck.

Not according to Frank:

Canucks sophomore Bo Horvat will emerge as one of the top two-way players in the NHL, doubling his point total. Horvat, 20, posted 25 points last year and missed the first month of the season. He also won an impressive 51.3 per cent of his face-offs against a particularly tough crop of centres in the Pacific. The Canucks as a whole, though, will slide to the bottom of the division with a thin defence and a roster lacking a real identity.

http://www.tsn.ca/30-bold-team-predictions-for-the-nhl-season-1.371841

Some great posts on the young gun of Future..

McCann 19, has to be biggest surprise but was suppose to go much higher in his draft year..Other teams messed up he should of been drafted around 12-15th.. He was disappointed that he went 24th but Vancouver got lucky to have talent like that available at 24th...future in prime 25-30 goals..65-70 pts...

Baertschi 22, Loads of talent with great speed..Liked watching him in WHL... should be 25-30 goal guy be patient with

this very talented guy..

Virtanen 19, will be a great power forward in 3yrs, Willie will need to control and mold this young star with loads of talent..

Future prime says 25-30 goals, 65 Pts

Gaunce 21, could and should be here just a numbers game...Gaunce had a great camp and futures bright 6'2, 212lbs,

future 18-21 goals 43 pts depending if he is a 3rd line winger can move up to top 6 when needed.... Great future here in Vancouver..

Grenier 22, 6'5 will be a great 3rd line winger can move up when needed...Great future here..

Hutton 23, 6'3 great young D man with bright future # 3 guy one day..Lots of talent...

Pedan 23, 6'5 great tough D man future #4- 5 D man, toughness that we really need..

Corrado 23, Should make team but future is bright #4 guy one day..

Tryamankin 21, 6'7 will add toughness and he can skate #6 D man...

Cassels 20, 6'0 will be great shut down centre good future..

Boeser 18, 6'1 !st Rd pick 2015, very fast lots of skill should make world Jr USA team... goal scorer

Demko 19, 6'3 future #1 goalie, great skill

Shinkaruk, 21, 5'10 lots of skill needs some time in farm system.. Great future here..

We have loads of talent and rebuild will go well, Sedins will be nice to have around as they will take pressure off young guys..

We will miss playoffs but will be so exciting to see new young guys blend into lineup..

Lots of trades to come, Higgins, Burrowa, Feel Hamhuis could bring us back a 1st Rd pick at trade deadline...Prust would be great to trade at deadline as well...Futures is bright will more great draft picks coming...

Not according to Frank:

Canucks sophomore Bo Horvat will emerge as one of the top two-way players in the NHL, doubling his point total. Horvat, 20, posted 25 points last year and missed the first month of the season. He also won an impressive 51.3 per cent of his face-offs against a particularly tough crop of centres in the Pacific. The Canucks as a whole, though, will slide to the bottom of the division with a thin defence and a roster lacking a real identity.

http://www.tsn.ca/30-bold-team-predictions-for-the-nhl-season-1.371841

Just because our re-build is ahead of schedule, doesn't mean we'll be winning games yet. It just means we'll be winning them sooner than we expected.

Just because our re-build is ahead of schedule, doesn't mean we'll be winning games yet. It just means we'll be winning them sooner than we expected.

Quantify that please.

When did the "rebuild" start? When will it end? What will be the reward at the end?

Why does Canucks management say we are re-tooling on the fly?

We already "win" games - the real question is: Can we make the playoffs and how far can we go?

in what world do the oilers send down 20-year-old 7th overall pick darnell nurse and just-about-20-year-old 3rd overall pick leon draisaitl, but 22-year-old 147th overall pick ben hutton, 20-year-old 9th overall pick bo horvat, 19-year-old 24th overall pick jared mccann, and just-turned-19-year-old 6th overall pick jake virtanen all earn spots on the canucks?

where am i?

"Rebuild" imo is misused here - a misnomer. Benning and Linden both specifically refuted the idea they are "rebuilding".

Imo this team has been retooling for a number of years.

Started with dealing Luongo, then Schneids, Kesler, Garrison, Bieksa...

They made an organizational point a few years ago to shift the asset balance - and have been doing this without significantly disrupting the team's ability to compete.

I'd say the approach has been relatively successful and they've reached the point where they have enough depth of young talent approaching NHL readiness to give them more flexibility.

The timing and fact of which runs pretty much right in the face of 'tank nation' ironically - relatively oblivious to the assets this team actually has.

You know what sucks is that I really wished that guys like Shinkaruk and Jensen were having this great breakout status that Horvat, Virtanen, etc.... are going thru right now.

Horvat, McCann, Virtanen are all eventual 65-75 point guys. Add another 2 (Shink/Jensen) and this is a fun team all of a sudden. Hopefully they get turned around sooner or later.

"Rebuild" imo is misused here - a misnomer. Benning and Linden both specifically refuted the idea they are "rebuilding".

Imo this team has been retooling for a number of years.

Started with dealing Luongo, then Schneids, Kesler, Garrison, Bieksa...

They made an organizational point a few years ago to shift the asset balance - and have been doing this without significantly disrupting the team's ability to compete.

I'd say the approach has been relatively successful and they've reached the point where they have enough depth of young talent approaching NHL readiness to give them more flexibility.

The timing and fact of which runs pretty much right in the face of 'tank nation' ironically - relatively oblivious to the assets this team actually has.

We are rebuilding, call it what you want but it looks like they in the middle of a rebuild that will be complete when the twin retire. Sure we are not dumping everyone all at once but we are weeding them out at a fast pace. We will most lolly dump another 1 or 2 vets this year and what will we have left at that point? I bet we have less then 4 roster players left on the team from MG's days by the end of next year, if that not a rebuild then what is??? Your getting hung up on a word get over it. Don't we already have 9 new player on our roster in one year... Sure, no rebuild.

Archived