The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Corrado claimed by Toronto Maple Leafs

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

Grieving over a bubble player that got passed by a rookie who wants it more, has better skills and skates like the wind.

Bubble player.

Bubble.

As for grieving, you grieve over the dead.

So what? He was a part of the organization for multiple years and was drafted and developed by the Canucks. Maybe the OP was a fan and followed his career with the Comets. I don't understand why people are telling him/her how to feel. 

Also grieving is doesn't apply solely to death. 

On November 21, 2015 at 10:18:11 AM, Toews said:

Yeah I am sure they will have a huge falling out over the playing time the #8 defenseman is getting. 

No but seriously I doubt anyone cares too much about Corrado's situation. Lou might have cared if he actually paid an asset to bring Corrado there. Babcock is too concerned with winning to mess with the team. Corrado is too busy enjoying a NHL pay cheque. Benning is too busy trying to figure what is wrong with the team. So the only people who are truly left caring are Canucks fans who watched and hoped that he could be a player in the future.

This is one of the few times I will agree with Alf, you guys care too much. Not that I blame you, we as fans can fall in love with a prospect only to find out later that he wasn't quite worth that level of adoration.

They do pay an asset for him. Toronto is close to bottom of league, they get earlier dibs for waiver wire. Now that they grabbed corrado they go to back of the line for waiver claims. That is definition of an asset: providing future value. 

27 minutes ago, John Tortorella said:

They do pay an asset for him. Toronto is close to bottom of league, they get earlier dibs for waiver wire. Now that they grabbed corrado they go to back of the line for waiver claims. That is definition of an asset: providing future value. 

That isn't true.

You don't lose your spot in the waiver order.  It is strictly by order of where you are in the standings.  If you are last in the league and pick up a player today... tomorrow you still have first shot at any player.

This myth keeps coming up but it can be found nowhere in the CBA.

So, as it stands:

1. Corrado was Canuck property, but didn't make the team.
  2. Corrado is a Leaf.
  3. Toronto acquired him at no cost to themselves.
  4. Vancouver received nothing in return (except a roster spot and some cap space, that we would have got by him going to Utica anyway)
  5. Corrado has not played a game for Toronto.
  6. If the Leafs want to trade him this season, they have to offer him for free to any other team that claimed him (but not the Canucks)
  7. If they wish to waive him this season, they must first offer him for free to Vancouver
  8. Had they waived attempted to waive him in the first 30 days of this season, or before Corrado played his 10th game this season (LOL), whichever is earliest, Vancouver would have had first refusal and been allowed to send him directly to Utica.
  9. That window has now closed.
  10. We all generally agree that teams should be reprimanded for hoarding players like Toronto are doing with Corrado - this behaviour is unfair on both the player and the team that originally waived him.

10 hours ago, Me_ said:

Grieving over a bubble player that got passed by a rookie who wants it more, has better skills and skates like the wind.

Bubble player.

Bubble.

As for grieving, you grieve over the dead.

It's great what Hutton has done and he is a better player than Corrado but I didn't follow him. I followed Corrado.

Grieving is feeling sorrow for any loss including the loss of a loved one. I felt the loss of Corrado, bubble player and all.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

That isn't true.

You don't lose your spot in the waiver order.  It is strictly by order of where you are in the standings.  If you are last in the league and pick up a player today... tomorrow you still have first shot at any player.

This myth keeps coming up but it can be found nowhere in the CBA.

Well then. If thats true then yea. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2015, 9:24:11, GarthButcher5 said:

He did do one thing...... When he first was called up, he played a game against Chicago and completely plastered Kane into the corner boards. I had high hopes for him after seeing that but unfortunately its been all downhill since then.

He also elbowed Gadreau very nice in pre-season last year

On 11/23/2015, 1:53:04, John Tortorella said:

this isn't fantasy hockey - that is not how waiver claims work in the NHL.

On 2015-11-23, 3:00:16, EagleShield said:
On 2015-11-23, 3:00:16, EagleShield said:

So, as it stands:

1. Corrado was Canuck property, but didn't make the team.
  2. Corrado is a Leaf.
  3. Toronto acquired him at no cost to themselves.
  4. Vancouver received nothing in return (except a roster spot and some cap space, that we would have got by him going to Utica anyway)
  5. Corrado has not played a game for Toronto.
  6. If the Leafs want to trade him this season, they have to offer him for free to any other team that claimed him (but not the Canucks)
  7. If they wish to waive him this season, they must first offer him for free to Vancouver
  8. Had they waived attempted to waive him in the first 30 days of this season, or before Corrado played his 10th game this season (LOL), whichever is earliest, Vancouver would have had first refusal and been allowed to send him directly to Utica.
  9. That window has now closed.
  10. We all generally agree that teams should be reprimanded for hoarding players like Toronto are doing with Corrado - this behaviour is unfair on both the player and the team that originally waived him.

Actually, I don't agree with this part.  Every team has a maximum number of roster spots to make use of.  How they do that is their business.  Toronto saw an opportunity to pick up a depth player that they like more than one of their own depth defencemen (who has since been put on waivers).  Just because they havent had injuries on the D and he hasn't seen any game action doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong.  It's no different than Tinordi not seeing any game action in Montreal yet. Or what if Vancouver had decided to keep Lack and Markstron as well as Miller.  If they want to waste a roster spot on a player whoès not playing then let them

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Actually, I don't agree with this part.  Every team has a maximum number of roster spots to make use of.  How they do that is their business.  Toronto saw an opportunity to pick up a depth player that they like more than one of their own depth defencemen (who has since been put on waivers).  Just because they havent had injuries on the D and he hasn't seen any game action doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong.  It's no different than Tinordi not seeing any game action in Montreal yet. Or what if Vancouver had decided to keep Lack and Markstron as well as Miller.  If they want to waste a roster spot on a player whoès not playing then let them

Yes, but they are impacting his career, because he isn't playing at all

1 minute ago, samurai said:

Yes, but they are impacting his career, because he isn't playing at all

So what? its 20 some games so far, and he's practicing with the nhl club. When injuries hit he'lll get into the lineup, or theyèll eventually decide to waive him.  Itr's not like he's going to sit out an entire season

The Leafs are a bloody joke and the NHL an even bigger one.

What's every bit as ridiculous as claiming a healthy Corrado and neglecting to play him for 25 consecutive games is the NHL allowing the Leafs to once again circumvent the waiver rules in order to recall Sparks and to assign Bernier - a waiver eligible player who is not only healthy, but was sent down because he 'let in some soft goals' in his last outing against Washington. 

This fn pisses me off tbh.   Bernier played November 28th - was not good - was not injured - and the Leafs assign him to the NHL free of waivers a few days later.....because....he needs "conditioning". 

What a fn joke.  Clear and transparent circumvention and abuse of the waiver system - again.  Lou Lam and the Laffs are using the "Conditioning Loan" to evade waivers - this sh!t should not be allowed.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

The Leafs are a bloody joke and the NHL an even bigger one.

What's every bit as ridiculous as claiming a healthy Corrado and neglecting to play him for 25 consecutive games is the NHL allowing the Leafs to once again circumvent the waiver rules in order to recall Sparks and to assign Bernier - a waiver eligible player who is not only healthy, but was sent down because he 'let in some soft goals' in his last outing against Washington. 

This fn pisses me off tbh.   Bernier played November 28th - was not good - was not injured - and the Leafs assign him to the NHL free of waivers a few days later.....because....he needs "conditioning". 

What a fn joke.  Clear and transparent circumvention and abuse of the waiver system - again.  Lou Lam and the Laffs are using the "Conditioning Loan" to evade waivers - this sh!t should not be allowed.

I hate the Leafs as much as anyone. But Bernier played 2 games in November. Maybe playing the other night exposed his need for a conditioning stint.  And they can't just send him down, he had to consent to it.  I haven't seen anyone from the players union complaining about Corrado's treatment.

8 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

So what? its 20 some games so far, and he's practicing with the nhl club. When injuries hit he'lll get into the lineup, or theyèll eventually decide to waive him.  Itr's not like he's going to sit out an entire season

Yes I am sure corrado is thinking the same thing - so what.  This is an extremely competitive profession and while you don't play other guys do and get better.  20 plus games is a lot of games in the life of a pro hockey player

1 minute ago, samurai said:

Yes I am sure corrado is thinking the same thing - so what.  This is an extremely competitive profession and while you don't play other guys do and get better.  20 plus games is a lot of games in the life of a pro hockey player

Especially in a marginal on, who will most likely not get too many more chances to crack a lineup.

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I hate the Leafs as much as anyone. But Bernier played 2 games in November. Maybe playing the other night exposed his need for a conditioning stint.  And they can't just send him down, he had to consent to it.  I haven't seen anyone from the players union complaining about Corrado's treatment.

Conditioning Assignments

"A player who has been on IR or otherwise incapicated (and the team must be able to demonstrate cause) can agree to be assigned to an affiliate for a conditioning stint that cannot last longer than 14 days. At the end of the 14 days, the player must either return to the NHL roster or be placed on waivers to remain with the affiliate."

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/11/26/1174855/waivers-101-a-guide-to-the-nhl

3 minutes ago, samurai said:

You know what else Corrado might be thinking. It sure is nice to be up with the NHL club collecting on my $630k a year salary instead of being in the minors making $67k a year

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Conditioning Assignments

"A player who has been on IR or otherwise incapicated (and the team must be able to demonstrate cause) can agree to be assigned to an affiliate for a conditioning stint that cannot last longer than 14 days. At the end of the 14 days, the player must either return to the NHL roster or be placed on waivers to remain with the affiliate."

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/11/26/1174855/waivers-101-a-guide-to-the-nhl

Clearly it's not a rule that's enforced that much this season alone Montreal has sent both Pateryn and Tinordi to the minors on conditioning stints after long stretches of being healthy scratches. M

Also. I noticed the article you quoted is from 2009. Perhaps the rule has been modified slightly in the newest CBA (or maybe it hasn't. I honestly don't care enough to look it up lol )

the the one story I did find was a couple years ago the league rejected a Buffalo request for a conditioning stint. So the league appraises each case. If they're ok with it can't see why everyone here is so damn upset 

Archived