The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Corrado claimed by Toronto Maple Leafs

Good luck Frankie! I really hope that he can get his game together, even if he made it through and spent another year in Utica he would be in tougher next year against trymikin,pedan,subban,brisbous and whoever we get from Ufa.

People complaining that we lost D depth? We lost a #8 dman who might developed into a 5-6. We have about 8 dmen who have that ceiling. I'm just thankful that we have Hutton poised to leap that spot.

Always disappointing when a prospect doesn't pan out as hoped, but Corrado was a 5th round pick. It's not often those guys turn into bona fide NHLers.

I always thought that he was a bit overrated in Vancouver, but I confess to being a bit surprised that the Canucks left him exposed.

On the plus side, the play of Hutton must have gone a long way towards that decision, so I suppose it's a good news/bad news thing.

Ugh. This team is maybe THE worst when it comes to asset management. Could've gotten a pick out of this, instead they give him away for free...... gonna be a looong season.

Really? THE worst? Have you seen how Edmonton "develops" players. And if you think Corrado was going to make the Canucks better you are sadly mistaken, so I don't understand how Frankie being claimed makes this a long season. Sorry, that's looong season.

For me the bottom line is we don't have the depth of NHL ready RHD in our org to have exposed him to waivers like that,

I mean it is what it is but I can't say i am happy about it with still such a glaring hole in our organization for that specific area

according-to-plan.gif

These two posts sum it up?

Our big club has Tanev & Weber as right handed shots. Guess we'll see how well guys like Sbisa and Bartkowski handle it? Playing on their offside that is. It absolutely destroyed guys like Edler a couple of years ago. Garrison also had his troubles & even Hamhuis does not look great. Playing your offside is tougher than people think.

It's not mostly about ''the shot'' BTW. Its about working the boards on your offside. Having to do puck clearances along the boards backhanded, while you are being pressured. Instead of on your forehand. And with your back turned to where you are passing.

Obviously its a struggle for all teams. Because there are so many fewer right handers.

But can we afford to give up Corrado & Clendenning in such short order & without replacements...

Oh, and another thing. People rave about Babcock as well. Yes, he's an accomplished NHL coach, and has done well with Detroit, but let's put it into perspective. He was able to ride along a defenceman named Lidstrom that had won the Norris trophy almost as many times as Bobby Orr (7 times vs 8 times for Orr). After Lidstrom retired, Detroit has been a middle-of-the-pack NHL team. I'm pretty sure most NHL coaches would have had a shot at the Cup every year with a modern day Bobby Orr on the back end.

Archived