The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the deal with Millers 5 hole?

Matt_T83

I am not meaning to bash Ryan MIller, I think hes a great goalie. But for such a good goalie, how does he have such a bad 5 hole? I have literally never seen another goalie give up so many 5 hole goals.

Thats a pretty glaring hole in his game.

P.S. Sorry grammar guys, but my apotraphe key is broken.

You never saw Lou play?

Fifty years ago goals through the 5 hole were considered weak goals that a goalie shouldn't give up.

Goalie technique has changed with the times, though. The 5 hole is just another place that can be vulnerable, while on balance goalies stop more shots than was the case 50 years ago-or 20 years ago, for that matter.

When the Canucks' goalie stops 29 of 30 shots it's hard to complain, and at present I see no reason to think Miller' is unusually vulnerable through the 5 hole.

That goal was supposed to trigger a Sbisa bashing thread. But leave it CDC to always bash the wrong guy.

It shouldn't trigger any bashing thread, but this is CDC...

Bad giveaway by Sbisa, but overall the Canucks' defense was solid, allowing the Flames very little. It's a little naive to think that players aren't going to make the odd mistake. The trick is to limit them and the Canucks did just that.

Meanwhile, they made what the SNET analysts were calling "the best defense in the league" look pretty porous.

Considering the reality of where the Canucks are in the rebuild and the amount of youth in the lineup, this game should be looked at as a near perfect road game and there should be nothing to complain about.

It shouldn't trigger any bashing thread, but this is CDC...

Bad giveaway by Sbisa, but overall the Canucks' defense was solid, allowing the Flames very little. It's a little naive to think that players aren't going to make the odd mistake. The trick is to limit them and the Canucks did just that.

Meanwhile, they made what the SNET analysts were calling "the best defense in the league" look pretty porous.

Considering the reality of where the Canucks are in the rebuild and the amount of youth in the lineup, this game should be looked at as a near perfect road game and there should be nothing to complain about.

Yeah i think ole Douggie is in for a big suprise playing in the west.

I am not meaning to bash Ryan MIller, I think hes a great goalie. But for such a good goalie, how does he have such a bad 5 hole? I have literally never seen another goalie give up so many 5 hole goals.

Thats a pretty glaring hole in his game.

P.S. Sorry grammar guys, but my apotraphe key is broken.

Well for one if you know anything about hockey and deeking a goalie, especially with players at the NHL level. When a player has all the time in the world like Hudler did, they will force a goalie to go across from post to post like Hudler did, when that happens the five hole opens leaving room for the puck to be put through it. It happens to every goaltender in this situation, their is no way around it. Its a commonly used tactic by players and 90% of the time when a player has time to do this, they will score a goal on ANY goaltender in the NHL. This did not expose no big glaring problem with Ryan Millers 5 hole!!!!

Please people, think a little before we speak!! I mean did this really need a thread?

Not surprised to see this here. I am more concerned with Sbisa's defensive awareness. Guy makes a brutal and lazy play, split second later a goal.

I will be the first to say he has to put that harder and higher off the glass and yes it did lead to the goal. However, give some credit that there is an aggressive two-man forecheck and the Calgary player knocks the puck out of the air and fortunately has it fall at his feet and still in control. These things happen. If Miller keeps his paddle down we aren't even talking about it. Goal was definitely on Sbisa but for the most part he had a decent night. I can think of one other play where he lost the puck and it went straight to the front of the net. Again due to being rushed by a forecheck.

I still think positionally he is pretty sound and I like that he's got a bit of grit.

I think this year will be better for miller regarding 5 hole because of his new pads. Last season he used more hybrid style pads with curves on the edges. This year he has bulkier, butterfly style pads that look a lot more square. He seems bigger out there. Hudler goal was a smooth deke and he was all alone, can't blame miller much there. Millers gunna shine this year IMO. So glad we don't have a goalie like Ramo in net.

Actually he was a bit unlucky. He had covered the 5 hole with his stick but even though the puck had no distance at all to travel it just seemed to hop over the stick

Actually he was a bit unlucky. He had covered the 5 hole with his stick but even though the puck had no distance at all to travel it just seemed to hop over the stick

He shot it over his stick. It was a goal scorers goal, he pulled him to the left read his reaction well and found the hole. Not a bad goal, would have been a great save if he got it.

as a goalie myself, I think Miller was expecting Hutton to do something as he was near by. Seems like he momentarily lost his focus. On the bright side, we won the game and only let in one goal. Let's focus on the 29 saves that he made. :)

Archived